Vets Fees With No Warning?

Shakti

If the issue is unexpected vet costs associated with a routine procedure, then the answer is ring for an explanation and a quote beforehand.

I don't put my car in for a service without knowing roughly what they're planning to do and more or less how much it will cost.

Ditto at the vets. I will ask what's involved and about cost before dropping them off. Saves nasty surprises of the planned variety. The unplanned ones you can't do much about. :(

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't quote here (cos I'm a goose!) - but Poodlefan - that's what I did. Rang, asked the price for spey and microchip - got told x dollars. The 'would you like fries with that' bit was not mentioned until the drop off (made appointment on the friday, surgery on the monday). That's why I felt weird about it. Unexpected stuff, yep sure - it happens. This feels to me like a calculated, slightly sneaky way of guilting you into extra things. And like I said, have been using this place for a number of years now and have loved them so it was somewhat disconcerting, that's all.

I will say that I'm glad I bought the extra pain killers though, its made a world of difference to Miss today.

I always discuss the options with my clients for all surgeries before hand (difficult with the call in desexings, but all surgeries discussed in consult or with myself over the phone). We like to be able to offer gold standard medicine, pre-op bloods + fluids, removing deciduous teeth, dewclaws etc. But I will only have these as an option for the normal healthy surgical patient.

All geriatric patients or patients with a medical history of issues I will reccommend pre-anaesthetic bloods strongly, but not force upon people. But I will just factor intra-operative fluid therapy into the estimate for these patients. No animal over 10 has surgery of any kind without fluid therapy (within reason).

Similar for any orthopaedic surgery, they all have fluids. :)