Breed Specific Diets

I'm researching dog food, particularly lifestage diets and breed specific diets. I can't find any information about the basis for breed specific diets other than the usual marketing spiels from the manufacturers. Is anyone aware of any literature about these formulations? Thanks.

Not about breed specific manufactured food, but I have read a lengthy article on how dog use nutrition and more specifically, exactly how to feed a greyhound differently for growing, spelling or racing, and why.

This article did explain it properly, it was a scientific article, not a marketing one. But sadly, I can't seem to find it now. I don't know about different breeds, but different dogs need different nutrition depending on whether their muscles are short or long twitch fibre, and what performance you require.

It is a bit of a joke to give pet dogs breed specific food, as being a pet doesn't call for a high or measured performance. Most dogs I know of any breed are overnourished on normal dog food, except maybe the ones that eat out of the rubbish bin.

I have Irish Terriers. The last time I looked at breed specific diets - they suggested potato based.

Please, these were in Ireland only a short time before the potatoe famine. Potatoes hail from the Americas.

I stopped looking at that point in time.

ChristineX

personally i think they are ridiculous.

The ones I have seen for labradors claims that they add in "joint support" and high protein, low fat because labs can get joint problems and are often overweight.

These are usually hereditary or environmental (joint issues) and fat labs are due to people feeding too much and not exercising enough. Nothing much to do with food.

If your dog has a health or medical issue, there are special veterinary diets available for these.

Dalmatians require a diet low in purines to prevent stones from forming in their unrinary tract. There is no commercially available product for this so it is up to the owner to do some research and find out which foods are low in purines.

There is some dietary advice here, from the British Dalmatian Club website:

http://www.britishdalmatianclub.org.uk/dow...WeissStones.pdf

Similar info is available from the American Dally Club website:

http://www.thedca.org/studygp.html

There is litereature out there on the specific nutritional needs of Great Dane puppies (and I think possibly other giant breed puppies).

If you want to pop into the Dane thread, I'm pretty sure a couple of people there could link you to these articles :rofl: