Twitching And Tremors

Hi,

just wondered if anyone had experience with a similar problem. Our Akita (desexed male 9 years) has started with what I can only describe as head tremors. At first they were so slight I thought I was imagining things, but they are getting worse. He has been to 2 vets, but since the tremors don't happen on command the vets can't see what I'm seeing at home.

A bit of background - we are currently travelling around, staying in pet friendly accommodation in NSW. The tremors however started in their slight form quite some months ago, and are getting more obvious as time goes on. I'm not sure if they are simply some kind of 'nervous tick' in response to new environments, but they did start when we were at home.

This morning when he woke up the twitching and tremors were very obvious, and they do seem to be worse when he wakes up. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them. If they are simply a nervous reaction (we have tablets prescribed by one vet for 'nervousness') that's something we can deal with, but if they are possibly the sign of some other more serious condition that needs treatment we need to know so we can act.

Korrigan

Hi,

just wondered if anyone had experience with a similar problem. Our Akita (desexed male 9 years) has started with what I can only describe as head tremors. At first they were so slight I thought I was imagining things, but they are getting worse. He has been to 2 vets, but since the tremors don't happen on command the vets can't see what I'm seeing at home.

A bit of background - we are currently travelling around, staying in pet friendly accommodation in NSW. The tremors however started in their slight form quite some months ago, and are getting more obvious as time goes on. I'm not sure if they are simply some kind of 'nervous tick' in response to new environments, but they did start when we were at home.

This morning when he woke up the twitching and tremors were very obvious, and they do seem to be worse when he wakes up. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them. If they are simply a nervous reaction (we have tablets prescribed by one vet for 'nervousness') that's something we can deal with, but if they are possibly the sign of some other more serious condition that needs treatment we need to know so we can act.

Korrigan

I would get him assessed by a neurologist if possible. I would recommend Georgina Child- she works at sydney uni vet clinic and also SASH in north ryde.

My 12 year old aussie shepherd had exactly the same thing, but she also had other neurological abnormalities like ataxia in her hind limbs.

We think she had a tumour in her brain and possibly also in her spinal cord

Hi

I have the same problem with my head (tremors, shaking) I have cervical dystonia a neurological condition,. It is a rare condition in humans, don`t see why dogs couldn`t suffer from something similar. :grouphug: Take him to a neurologist.

chooka

Many thanks for the replies. The video taping is a great idea. No chance he is getting anything from any flea treatments - but thanks for the thought.

Internet is a bit dodgy around here, so sorry for not getting back sooner.

Tank you again

Carole

Hi

I have the same problem with my head (tremors, shaking) I have cervical dystonia a neurological condition,. It is a rare condition in humans, don`t see why dogs couldn`t suffer from something similar. :hug: Take him to a neurologist.

chooka

I also have this condition, diagnosed by a neurologist.

Mine is essential tremor, and I also have torticolus (spasm of the neck muscles).

Magnesium is a good supplement, and there are medications which can be used.

But yep, a proper diagnoses by a neurologist is needed.

Hi Korrigan,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dogs head tremors. The other thing I think you need to rule out is focal epilepsy. To the uniniated my youngest westie has 'head shakes'; the vet is sure its focal epilepsy (localised on the cerebellum). They are mild, infreqent, and he's unmedicated. He doesn't lose conciousness, is not incontinent and doesn't fall over but post ictally he is quiet and sleepy. I simply cuddle and hold him until it stops. Its not getting any more frequent over time. But the course of this disease can be highly variable so it may present differntly in different dogs, I understand.

The videoing is a great idea. In the meantime on this page under 'Example of a focal seizure' here is a short video of what happens to my Andy - I sent the link to my vet when I had difficulty getting a video of one of his seizures.

Hope it helps.

Best,

westiemum and Andy..