A Litter Before Sterilizing?

Hunny

We are getting a labrador puppy soon, and I'm so excited....but everyone is saying we should have a litter out of her before we sterilize her, as it will 'settle her down'.

I don't believe in this and think it's a bit of an old wives tale but so many others think it, I am quite amazed.

My beautiful old staffy that we lost recently was an extremely well behaved dog, she went through dog school and and everyone loved her....she didn't have puppies.

Any thoughts on this please?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your replies.....I thought it was all a bit silly but you can't tell some people. :laugh:

I thought the same thing, imagine if every female dog had a litter...there would be dogs all over the place!!

My male lab is very quiet and settled and he never had puppies lol

:laugh:

My 11 month old female is well behaved and settled and she has never had a litter and was desexed quite early.

It may be beneficial in a large breed dog like the lab, to let your pup have one season (not litter!).

Definately not required at all.

If every bitch had a litter before desexing we would have puppies up to our ears.

Age and training will settle your Lab down not a litter.

Agree.

The "they need to have a litter to settle them down" myth does my head in.

How does that work? Dogs are not human, they don't suddenly wake up one morning and think "Oh I'm a mother now, I must settle down and take responsibilty". Why would they? A poorly trained or immature dog is just that. Simple.

To the OP, tell your friends to have a read of this;

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

and this;

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...;hl=temperature

I have found my bitches more settled after they have had their first season I guess its a maturity thing.

I wonder though...is it the season? Or is the fact that they are a more mature dog by the time they have the season?

Are they scatty heads prior to that first season because the hormone levels are changing and thus after a season

the hormones all start to settle back down and then so does the dog?

For myself, I get a bit frustrated with myself that I only seem 'normal' and 'well adjusted' about one week in every 4.

I love that one week post period. :laugh:

My male lab is very quiet and settled and he never had puppies lol

:grouphug:

My 11 month old female is well behaved and settled and she has never had a litter and was desexed quite early.

It may be beneficial in a large breed dog like the lab, to let your pup have one season (not litter!).

Sorry just to clarify- the benefits of allowing a large breed dog have a season relate to bone and strucutre development not behaviour.

Depends on breed,

but personally I think entire bitches are more likely to have mood swings. My Dobe bitch could be a complete and utter bitch at certain time of her cycle. She also had phantoms every season, tried to treat her teddies like babies and feed them and would head hunt any dog that came within cooee of her pretend litter.

Once desexed she was the same easy going girl all the time. I know what I would prefer!

I think that if bitches have a litter it may add a risk to desexing

proof please

and to the original poster no your bitch does not need a litter to settle her down :rofl:

my vet told me that there is an increased risk...proof enough?

We desexed our 8yr old recently - she has had two litters - no issue, no complications & no increased risk . . . but not a bad thing for a vet to be telling people, the less byb litters there are the better.