How Do I Get Rid Of A Mouse Outside

Gavin your comments about the home schooling too are small minded and arrogant obviously a testament to your mentality. You should not make assumptions based on your (obviously limited) experience

Ho ho! You're calling me arrogant when you supposedly know of my experiences?

That sounds very definite. How do you know? Were you a home school failure?

Because most parents aren't qualified teachers, for one. And you miss out on the important social aspect that schools actually provide. Could write a thesis on this, but that will be going OT so I'm going to stop right there.

HAHAHAHA seriously?? Yea I forgot how important it was to go to school and learn how to bully other kids or be bullied. Or maybe get stabbed?? Yea great social interaction is provided at a school.

Personally I prefer to know that my brothers are at home safe not being bullied by idiot kids at school or possibly getting stabbed by another kid. They both get loads of social interaction through kids they know through home schooling (they go on excursions just like other schools) and through sports which they both play and which myself, my sister and my older brother did also. We all have friends and we are perfectly social.

Home school children are enrolled properly (in other words not parents who just decide to teach their kids outside of the schooling system) in proper schools and have access to teachers and a proper curriculum. Nothing is missing.

I am sure there are many people here who could write a thesis about why "normal" schools are no good too.

EDIT: to take out some of the quotes.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HAHAHAHA seriously?? Yea I forgot how important it was to go to school and learn how to bully other kids or be bullied. Or maybe get stabbed?? Yea great social interaction is provided at a school.

And this happens to every single student, right? :)

The good outweighs the bad - of course bullying is going to happen. It even happens in the workplace. But that's a fact of life, some people will be a-holes but don't use that to make such a pessimistic outlook of things.

As for stabbed - do you really think most schools are like that? What is this, the Bronx?

Edited by GavinM

GavinM:

Pigeons for example have the potential to carry lots of nasty stuff - and they poop everywhere, especially in places where people gather like town squares, verandas and train stations. They are also introduced pests. But you don't see everyone get the nearest heavy object and bash them over the heads.

Pigeons are the subject of many urban destruction programs. Building design now may include deterrence devices.

If we get a bird flu outbreak here, we may be grateful that efforts have been made to reduce their numbers.

Gee for a newb, you're keen to mix it up. I wonder who you were last time you were here???

Edited by poodlefan

GavinM:
Pigeons for example have the potential to carry lots of nasty stuff - and they poop everywhere, especially in places where people gather like town squares, verandas and train stations. They are also introduced pests. But you don't see everyone get the nearest heavy object and bash them over the heads.

Pigeons are the subject of many urban destruction programs. Building design now may include deterrence devices.

If we get a bird flu outbreak here, we may be grateful that efforts have been made to reduce their numbers.

Gee for a newb, you're keen to mix it up. I wonder who you were last time you were here???

and here I was thinking it was only me that thought this :)

That sounds very definite. How do you know? Were you a home school failure?

Because most parents aren't qualified teachers, for one. And you miss out on the important social aspect that schools actually provide. Could write a thesis on this, but that will be going OT so I'm going to stop right there.

Oh no, don't stop. That doesn't explain how you know. No need for a thesis but as a teacher myself, I do like people to provide a reference list to back up what they're spouting.

GavinM:

Gee for a newb, you're keen to mix it up. I wonder who you were last time you were here???[/b]

and here I was thinking it was only me that thought this :laugh:

No, not the only ones. The writing style is very familiar.

Edited by Sheridan

And this happens to every single student, right? :laugh:

The good outweighs the bad - of course bullying is going to happen. It even happens in the workplace. But that's a fact of life, some people will be a-holes but don't use that to make such a pessimistic outlook of things.

As for stabbed - do you really think most schools are like that? What is this, the Bronx?

It is becoming more and more common Gavin. In the last few years there has been several stabbings in Brisbane schools alone. I haven't heard anything about other schools in the country.

Bullying happens a lot more often now then it did 20-30 years ago. Thinking it is ok because it doesn't happen to everyone is stupid.

What good exactly? Please enlighten us with your knowledge of how much better "normal" schools are.

Bullying happens a lot more often now then it did 20-30 years ago. Thinking it is ok because it doesn't happen to everyone is stupid.

Proof? Bullying has always been around. And I'm not saying it's okay, of course it isn't, don't put words into my mouth. Just because people are bullied in school or the workplace doesn't mean it's all like that.

What good exactly? Please enlighten us with your knowledge of how much better "normal" schools are.

The good as in getting quality education from good teachers, making new friends and involving oneself in social activities and taking advantage of the resources the school has. I'm saying it's better because you are being taught from people who are qualified, from a range of disciplines, and you're in a social environment where you will learn social skills as you go. If you're saying school is bad because of bullying, then I guess work must be bad too! Because guess what? Bullying happens there too. Like it or lump it, it's a part of life and not everyone is an angel.

The good as in getting quality education from good teachers,

As if that's a given these days.

making new friends and involving oneself in social activities

Hardly confined to the school ground. There are many avenues for children to make friends and involve themselves in social activities. These days home schooled kids even have an online network.

and taking advantage of the resources the school has.

Such as?

I'm saying it's better because you are being taught from people who are qualified, from a range of disciplines, and you're in a social environment where you will learn social skills as you go. If you're saying school is bad because of bullying, then I guess work must be bad too! Because guess what? Bullying happens there too. Like it or lump it, it's a part of life and not everyone is an angel.

Lets face it, not every child will excell in your average school environment. God forbid parents look outside the square, choose to their children's education as something to be personally involved in as opposed to leaving to the government to provide or decide that their child's safety or self esteem are best promoted by home schooling.

Some of the most mature, well adjusted and downright nicest kids I know are homeschooled by tertiary educated parents who view raising a happy, well educated child as their priority in life.

Horses for courses I say. The idea that teachers always know best has no more credibility now then when I was a school. :laugh:

If you want to debate home schooling - start another thread in the OT section.

Mice - I don't like them but unless they're causing a lot of damage, I leave them alone and am conscious of making sure my home is not a good environment for them (not leaving food around or unsealed etc).

I thank those who have revealed the realities of these so-called "humane" traps - I never knew these things. I've never had to kill a mouse and don't think I'd like to do it but I can see the reasons why some want to get on top of the situation right away. I don't agree with cruelty, but for the most part, those who don't like them dispatch them quickly and without suffering.

The 2IC in the ACT was supposedly home-schooled, that's enough for me. :laugh: After seeing her untold times on tv, I find the woman a badly spoken ignoramus. Then about half of one of my sibling's children were home schooled for a while, when they went into school they could barely pass any exams. Someone in the ACT Dept Education told me a while back there was a lot of unauthorised home schooling around Canberra - being taught by people who weren't qualified. I think that's the argument against it, if the teacher is no good the children can't learn much, just the same as in school.

Are you talking about Katy Gallagher? If so, I think your opinion is a bit harsh - I consider her very articulate and certainly more so than many of the boofheads that masquerade as politicians in the upper house of most state parliaments! Some of those blokes (and they are always blokes) can barely string two words together. The Senate has seen a few of them too.

Yes, I was talking about her. I work in the ACT and haven't met anyone who thinks she's worth 5 cents, I agree the blokes are bad too but Katy always seems to be on tv.

back on topic, someone at work gave me one of those so-called humane traps, and I was told to just take it to the park and release it. no thanks. I didn't like the idea of it either running around in the wild or into someone else's house. So exactly what does one do with a caught LIVE mouse? I'm sticking with the regular mouse traps, they've progressed from a piece of wire to trap the creature. One hard flick and it dies rather quickly, then just empty it into the rubbish.

Humane or not? Where do we draw the line? Rats, spiders, snakes, cane toads, blow flies, cockroaches ....

I do what I can feel comfortable and live with. Killing mice in my house is something I will do if I have to. With a trap for dog's safety.

edited to add about the dog

Edited by ruffpup