Sign in to follow this  
benny123

Any Type Of Household Disinfectant/antiseptic?

11 posts in this topic

benny123   

Spud seems to have a small nick on one of his pads - walked on something sharpish, somewhere I guess. I'd like to wash it before putting some neocort on it - however, I only have betadine and dettol in the house, nothing animal specific.

What should I use or is there something I can get from the chemist that would be better?

Dxenion   

Our vet advised us to use betadine (diluted) for cuts, abrasions and rashes. We also use paw paw ointment on cuts and rashes and find it works wonders.

benny123   
If it's a nick- then just betadine applied daily will be fine :laugh:

Thanks. Will do it now then take him for a drive (rather than his arvo walk) to take his mind off licking it.

How much is it bleeding? Is he limping? If it only tiny, but bleeding a bit and it's very sore.. .. there "could" be a sliver of glass in there.

If it's just a nick with no/little blood ..just carry on as normal...

benny123   
How much is it bleeding? Is he limping? If it only tiny, but bleeding a bit and it's very sore.. .. there "could" be a sliver of glass in there.

If it's just a nick with no/little blood ..just carry on as normal...

No blood, but he is limping a bit. I couldn't see anything in it just a little flap (match head size on 55kg dogs foot) which is on the front of the big pad and I think it rubs against the others. Wondering if it feels like a paper cut on a finger which usually sting like crazy. Sadly no vets open at this time on a Sunday. If he's still limping in the morning it's off to the vet.