Your Preferred Sex For Next Puppy/dog

Baileys mum

Your preferred sex for next puppy/dog  

149 members have voted

1. 1. For your next Puppy or Mature dog which sex would you prefer?

• Female
    • Male
    • The sex doesn't matter as long as a get a nice healthy pup or dog with a good temperment.
    • I will not be getting another puppy or dog
    • Other
  2. 2. What will your next puppy or dog be for?

• Pet only
    • pet & Show dog
    • Pet & Breeding
    • pet/breeding/show dog
    • Pet & dog sports
    • Pet/breeding /show dog/ dog sports
    • Pet & woking dog
    • pet/workng dog / breeding
    • Other
    • I will not be getting a puppy/dog in the future
  3. 3. What is the reason for your prefferd sex

• I have always had this sex
    • I think my preferred sex is easier train
    • I think my preferred sex is cleaner/easier to house train
    • I think my preferred sex does not stray as much as the other sex
    • I think my preferred sex makes a better pet
    • I want female to show
    • I want a male to show
    • I want a female for breeding
    • I want a Male for breeding
    • I will not be getting a puppy/dog in the future
    • Other

Hi everyone, I'm very curious to know if you where to get a new puppy or mature dog in the future what sex you would preffer.

I have had alot of interest in my pending litter..with about 70% of people preffering a female puppy over a male.

Most of these people where after a pet puppy only, a couple where looking at getting into showing & breeding , & a few where looking at getting into dog sports.

Alot of people have told me they would preffer a female, because that is the sex their family have always had, some said they thought females where cleaner & easier to house train than a male & a couple have thought that males tended to stray more than a females. Some wanted a female because they already had a male, some wanted a female to breed with & some where not fussy with the sex as long as they got a healthy puppy with a excellent temperment. :laugh:

Even after me telling them that these facts where untrue & it comes down to how you train your puppy..most people still would preffer a female.

I still have quite a few people on my waiting list wanting a male...but I probably have more people wanting a female, & more than likely there will be people missing out.

So I was just wondering if this was just happening in my breed ( I could have sold my 2 females 20 times over with my last litter too ) or if females are also preffered with most other breeds.

So just wondering if you where to get another puppy or mature dog in the future what sex would you prefer?..Is there any reason for your prefferred sex?...& what will your new puppy / dog be for?

Thanks everyone :rofl:

Just thought I would add that I will either be keeping a female from my next litter or buying a female puppy from another breeder for my next puppy for my breeding program.

Edited by Baileys mum

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My next Lhasa Apso will be a bitch.

It has to be a house dog in order to keep it in coat. The males are SMELLY with capital letters. I recently dog sat a male, and I forgot how pongy they are! It's not about messing in the house, just when they are in full coat, you cannot help but get pee on the coat, and boy does it pong.

The bitch I get can go back to the breeder for a litter if I dont want to have one myself. I dont breed Lhasa's very often, they are quite a tricky breed, so its just a matter of how I am feeling when the time is right. But I have now been in the breed 15 years, so its probably not the same as if I was just looking for my first. Our first was a male, and he is still kicking along!

We have our name on a waiting listing for a Hungarian Vizsla puppy and the breeder we are going with we will wait for however long it takes because we know full well they take the best care of their dogs and do every health test and only use their male & female dogs for breeding from 2.5 - 3 years of age so they can get true hip scores.

I at first wanted a female because we already have a male but now I really don't care as long as it is a happy healthy dog that suits us. I would love to get into obedience and agility so a sound puppy is the priority not sex.

I chose other for 'what is your reason for your preffered sex' as I want a female because I already have a boy and I'd like to have one of each sex.

Apart from that I've only ever had boys so I guess you could say they are my preffered sex but I've never been fussed with with the sex, a dog that suits me and my family has been the deciding factor.

I'm not really fussed about the sex of the next dog. Depends partly on which dogs I have here and what I think will fit in best with them. My female doesn't like other dogs and gets on better with males, my males would be fine with either, so if the female is still around (she is 11 years old atm) will probably be a male, otherwise not sure. Males also have the advantage of not coming in season if I wanted to leave the dog entire until it is fully grown, which I would like to do next time to give optimal development for sports.

I don't really care that much but my preference is for a female (next pup will be a dog sports dog). I just want a girl, I can't explain why, but if the right male came along I'd consider it.

We had always had female dogs when I was growing up, my OH always had males.

Our first dog was a bitch and she was fantastic, next was a male - he had shocking temperment(breeding issue there!) then I got another male (had a bitch at the time) He and I did not get on at all and eventually after struggling for nearly two years he went back to his breeder. After that it was bitches only for me. My OH got a Male Stafford and he is a great dog.

I got Rommi - I wanted a female. Shortly after I got offered a male whippet -Lewis- and all of my researching indicated that male and female whippets are both easy going, training is similar etc So he came home with us. He is actually cleaner in the house than Rommi ( she will hold on to a point but will pee on the floor if she is inside all night) and easier to train.

I have decided that breed has a fair bit to do with it for me. I will NEVER have a male Dobermann - ever! But I would have a Male or female Stafford and I probably prefer Males to females in Whippets.

My next dog will be the best dog out of the litter. Conformation and temperment will be the first considerations, clolour and sex will come last in the equation. I do dog sports, showing, and the pup will potentially be bred from if all the boxes are ticked. The dogs must be a good pet first and the rest come down the line for me.

Most of the enquiries I have had are for females.

I chose either because it will all depend on circumstances at the time. Depends what other dogs I still have in my household and whether they would get along better with the opposite sex.

In saying that, my family always preferred female dogs and for a while that opinion rubbed off on me. So when I got to the point of getting my own dogs the first was a female. then when it came time for the second we wanted another female at first (OH also had a preconceived idea that they were better). But as I researched I became a bit more flexible and open to the idea of a male. We ended up with our boy and he is so sweet, I may even lean towards a male again in the future. They have their differences I guess and you just have to find what will suit your family.

ETA: I agree breed has something to do with it too. And to be able to have an entire litter to choose the best puppy from, male or female, would be the ideal scenario for me.

Edited by Lollipup

I'm after a bitch next for breeding/showing.

If I wasn't interested in breeding I would only have dogs, I just tend to like then a little more.

So far on the waiting list for our litter everyone wants dogs, not one person has asked for a bitch yet.

I said male, just got the puppy of my dreams last week. He will be shown and used for breeding later. I have two litters at the moment and as per usual most people want females and as there were only 3 females in the two litters (plus I am keeping one) quite a few missed out. There were lots of reasons (we always had females, males cock their legs everywhere etc) but the best one I heard was from a young girl who told me that her boyfriend said that males poo more then females lol. I have always said if I was to have just one pet it would be a male, they are a lot more tolerant and cuddly then the females in my breed.

Anky

Lots of considerations. My ACD was a desexed female - a family dog originally so I had no say in the matter. Fabulous dog who lived until she was 17 years.

When I settled on my next breed and a breeder, I decided on a male Dalmatian - I preferred the look of the breeder's males, I didn't want another female after losing a girl who I was very close to (I make every effort not to rate my dogs against each other), was interested in dabbling in showing and the breeder wanted me to keep the dog entire and I didn't want to deal with seasons.

With my next pup, I really got a girl for my Dalmatian's sake :laugh: He is still entire and, whilst good with all pups, just adores "the ladies". I wanted a nice, soft dog that he would happily give way to without feeling threatened. It's worked out perfectly. I will wait until she's grown up before having her spayed - and will consult with her breeder in that respect.

My male Dally is not very cuddly but my ESS bitch puppy is a snuggle monster. Neither are 'moody' and both have wonderful, if not very different, work ethics. If I got another Dally, I would consider a bitch (again, so as not to compare with Ziggy) and I would also consider a male ESS. However, other considerations would also come into account.

Every dog has it's challenges and, thus far, I have no preference for dogs vs bitches. Genetics and training are much more important to me!

My preference for my next dog will depend on the dynamics of my current dogs. I picked a girl this time because I knew Buster would get on better with her. I'd prefer a boy next time but it would depend on which dog had the right temperament.

My next dog will be for pet and sports and I prefer males just because I like thier attitude more, I hate how bitchy bitches are, I adore Quinn but she's so full of herself.

I said male, just got the puppy of my dreams last week. He will be shown and used for breeding later. I have two litters at the moment and as per usual most people want females and as there were only 3 females in the two litters (plus I am keeping one) quite a few missed out. There were lots of reasons (we always had females, males cock their legs everywhere etc) but the best one I heard was from a young girl who told me that her boyfriend said that males poo more then females lol. I have always said if I was to have just one pet it would be a male, they are a lot more tolerant and cuddly then the females in my breed.

Anky

Sounds like you get the same sort of reasons as I do dunnwarren... I too try & tell people that if they are just after a pet that the sex doesn't really matter & if anything the males are more affectionate & cuddly..but alot of people are set in their ways & yes most probably there will be people missing out with this litter too.

I haven't heard that one before though... Males poo more than females. :laugh:

I have two boys at the moment and the next will be a girl for that reason. The boys are great together, but the younger one is a bit of a firecracker and if I were to get another while he was around it would be all about temperament. Particularly if I got another dog his size. It would also be a girl, though, because I'm eyeing off a breed that is known for same-sex aggression. Not interested in taking risks on that front.