5 Week Old Pups - What Type Of Handling Do You Do?

Amadeus

Hi,

I have my first litter of Great Dane pups at the moment. There are only 3 of them, and they are 5 weeks old tomorrow. I'm just wondering what type of handling/training do you all do with pups at this age. I have been doing some general stuff like playing with ears, mouth, tail etc etc - but curious to know what others start to do between now and when they leave for their new homes.

Volhard Test

I have also did Early Neurological Stimulation

Rule of Seven

and the puppy puzzle.

I also had Obstacles for them to play with - Tyres, Basketballs, Hanging Ropes, Walking Beam, Tug Toys etc

Toys that made noises when pressed or moved were a bit hit.

From 5-6 weeks they were free to roam the house both in and out whenever they liked.

We have a loud house with 3 kids and something is always happening around here.

Ever since they were babies I would make lots of loud noises and left the tv on up loud, but when they got about 5 weeks they went out in a run (20 5 week old Bullmastiffs indoors wasnt working too well, lol). Other than lots of handling etc I made lots of banging, I would go and bang on the side of the shed loudly and continuosly, get the lawn mower going, walk around in a huge mexican style hat and when we had big thunder storms I would leave them outside (in their run, which was quite open in parts, but they had shelter and kennels etc) to hear and see the heavy rain, thunder and lightning.

take them for car rides, start stack training, crate training, one on one, lots of physical handling

All the above plus from 6 weeks, lead (heel) training and basic obedience commands of watch, come, stand, sit, drop, wait and just for fun and because the new owners love it, "shake hands".

Also start toilet traing by giving them access to grass as soon as they wake and after each meal.