Adelaide Airport

Asalei

Hi All,

I went to Adelaide for the beagle national in 2009 and I remember there being a lot of discussion about getting dogs in an out of the airport as they have to go freight.

Can anyone confirm what the arrangements are with the flying of dogs in and out of Adelaide?

From what I understand, I can lodge my girl as luggage in Brisbane, but she will go to Freight in Adelaide. Coming home I have to lodge her as freight in Adelaide... but does she come out as luggage in Brisbane or as freight?

Also, does anyone know the times freight is open in Adelaide? Specifically Saturday and Sundays.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Erin

If I was you I would phone Adelaide airport and get a clear answer.

I have collected both a kitten and pup from the freight terminal at Adelaide on Saturday but they have flown on there own and I should add that both times the staff were fantastic and very helpful.

Dog's are sent from and picked up from the freight terminals in Adelaide, depending on who you fly with will depend on where you need to pick up your dog whether it's from the AAE Freight terminal further down from the passenger terminal or the TOLL Freight building which is in the new business park which is further away.

Just out of interest my experience with Virgin in Adelaide is that they don't really want the dogs 90 minutes before and seem happy to have them dropped off closer to the flight time but its worth ringing and asking before you fly out as it can depend on who is on. I have gone there and been told to bring the dog back in half an hour or so. They don't seem to want them sitting around for any longer then absolutely necessary.

So if you fly Qantas, that's AAE isn't it?

Thank you DBT for that information. I will give them a call when I have a chance.

I always use Qantas and yes always been through AAE.

PS, the times on that link i posted are international freight times. for domestic flights I have dropped dogs as early as 5.30 am, and picked up 8pm, but best to call esp. in regards to weekend times.

Using either Virgin or AAE (Quantas ) is not so bad as they are both very close to the terminal that you use for yourself anyway. Boarding the flights they do like them there early but unloading they are quick so not much waiting.

By the time you get yourself off & over there your dog should be waiting for you.

I've just rung AAE and apparently they don't open until 7am on Sundays, which really doesn't help me because the early morning flight is 6:10am and the next one is double the price. I'm not keen to pay that.

I'll need to ring Virgin Blue and query them on their opening times and what happens. Either way coming home she has to go as frieght, so I'm open to booking a Virgin Blue flight. Virgin Blue are probably easier to get to from Brisbane airport as they are on the way out of the Brisbane Airport.

I believe you used to be able to fly dogs in and out at any time, but I think in the past year or so they have restricted their opening hours.

I remember seeing a thread a while ago about closing times and meaning most dogs are flying in the heat of the day, particularly in summer and in warmer climates.