My Pup Has Parvovirus

michelle&zoey

Try rehydrating the kibble. Soak it in some water so it is softer but not mush. Her tummy is still sensitive and will be for some time. Feed the prescription tin with very small quantities of rehydrated kibble and slowly change the percentage. Her tummy will then get used to the change rather than go from sensitive wet straight to dry.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this site. They sell the prescription food in kibble. They also sell the canned version significantly cheaper than my vet and I can pickup from the warehouse.

She's started getting my attention and showing me her plate. She climbs in the fridge every time someone opens the door. She eats her food so fast she gags for air. She whinges when she finishes and tosses her plate around wanting more. She started doing this yesterday. Normally she'll eat a bite or two then leave the rest. The vet said to feed her 1/3 of a can 3 times a day. She ate 1/2 a can for brekkie and the other 1/2 for lunch. She also ate a cup of Science Diet puppy large breed kibble. She had no problem chewing it. She hasn't vomited yet :laugh: and seems happy.

She played non stop from 5am to 1pm. She's now put herself to bed for a nap.

I'm now at 2 days with no vomiting and she's stopped heaving. I picked her up yesterday for less than a minute she started yelping frantically. I put her down and she kept screaming none stop for what felt like a very long minute. It was awful. A couple minutes later she was fine and running around with her toys. This happened after she ate.

She's gaining weight. She doesn't feel as bony. She's answering to her name! She didn't know it when she got sick.

Kerry do you have any suggestions to stop a GS biting people? I've tried yelping like a dog and ignoring her. I distract her with toys. I tell her to sit and pat her for being good. I've told her in a harsh voice 'bag dog' and pulled away from her. I don't hit her or anything like that. If she's gets really worked up we put her on a lead and make her lay next to someone until she settles.

I'm now at 2 days with no vomiting and she's stopped heaving. I picked her up yesterday for less than a minute she started yelping frantically. I put her down and she kept screaming none stop for what felt like a very long minute. It was awful. A couple minutes later she was fine and running around with her toys. This happened after she ate.

She's gaining weight. She doesn't feel as bony. She's answering to her name! She didn't know it when she got sick.

Kerry do you have any suggestions to stop a GS biting people? I've tried yelping like a dog and ignoring her. I distract her with toys. I tell her to sit and pat her for being good. I've told her in a harsh voice 'bag dog' and pulled away from her. I don't hit her or anything like that. If she's gets really worked up we put her on a lead and make her lay next to someone until she settles.

We are having the puppy biting issues also - It is more teething but hurts when he makes contact! I am trying the same distraction techniques but just hope in time it wears off. I was also having problems with him scratching at the screen door if I put him outside for awhile - so now have a Water spray bottle on jet stream so when he does it I spray instantly in his face. He seems to be settling with it.

Like you I hope this biting settles soon.

I have no idea how to add images on these forums LOL

post-39633-1302610599_thumb.jpg

Been watching your thread Michelle&Zoey, so glad to hear your girl is on the improve.

I have GSDs too and mouthing is all part of their development. What ever approach you try being consistant is the best possible thing you can do. I use the distract with a toy mostly as yelping got mine excited. Also if they start to nip while playing then simply offer a toy and cease playing with the pup until it settles and start again.

Ear hats as I like to call them are due to teething, plently of things to chew on will help them go up and stay up :laugh:

Been watching your thread Michelle&Zoey, so glad to hear your girl is on the improve.

I have GSDs too and mouthing is all part of their development. What ever approach you try being consistant is the best possible thing you can do. I use the distract with a toy mostly as yelping got mine excited. Also if they start to nip while playing then simply offer a toy and cease playing with the pup until it settles and start again.

Ear hats as I like to call them are due to teething, plently of things to chew on will help them go up and stay up :)

THANKS Heidi - love the ear hats name! He is chewing everything so should be up in no time. I am looking forward to starting obedience training with him in a couple of weeks as he and I will need it.

Cheers Kerry

I love the picture Kerry. Zoey gets her nose dirty too. I wipe it clean like she's a child smile.gif

Her next puppy needle tomorrow.

She's stopped biting my hands as hard. She licks them and holds them in her mouth without hurting me. It's a start. She still bites my feet hard. My pup jumps on our glass doors when the blinds are open. I will try using a spray bottle.

How dangerous are lizards? She chased a small lizard and caught it. I couldn’t get her to drop it and she ate it! This was on Friday. I'll have to make sure she doesn't chase cane toads.

Edit: the Vet says lizards carry worms :)

Edited by michelle&zoey

She had her 2nd puppy needle yesterday (18 Apr). The Vet said she is looking well and has stopped shedding the virus. She is now 8.1kg. She is underweight but they don't want her to gain it back too fast.

The Vet reccomended Puppy classes. I thought she wasn't allowed but they say it's safe. They start on the 3rd of May (pups start attending on the 10th May). I put our name down.

Zoey is 12 weeks old on Friday.

Edited by michelle&zoey