My Pup Has Parvovirus

michelle&zoey

My 8 week old German Shepherd has just been diagnosed with parvovirus. She was born on the 28 January. She had her first puppy needle on the 14 Mar (before I got her). She was fine until last night. She woke up multiple times during the night heaving. This morning when I got up for work she wasn't her normal playful self. She did her business and went back to bed. My sister took her to the vet. He confirmed she has parvovirus. It's unlikely she'll survive.

I couldn't stop crying when the vet phoned me at work. I came home early. She has no energy. She used what little energy she has to lift her little head and look at me.

We added some soil to the yard after the floods. She has only being at home, in my car and at my Uncles house. My Uncles dogs are fully vaccinated as is our 7 year old dog. They think our soil might be contaminated.

I don't want to watch her die but we've bonded and it would be cruel to ignore her and pretend we haven't had this time together. I was really proud a couple days ago. She slept in her bed instead of mine. She also learnt how to sit on command and is getting much better at toilet training.

Her name is Zoey. The meaning of the name Zoey is 'Life'. It breaks my heart hers is going to be such a short one.

I can't stop crying.

zoey02sm.jpg

zoey01sm.jpg

Edited by michelle&zoey

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your pup is at the vets and receives the right treatment, she has a good chance of survival. If she is not at the vets, she should be.

Where have your uncles dogs and your dog been? Even vaccinated dogs can transmit the virus and places like dog parks tend to be hot spots for it.

I hope she pulls through OK.

Edited by poodlefan

If you just got her this week (and since she is 8 weeks I would assume so) wouldn't that mean she got the parvo before she came to you since it has a two week incubation period? (Or did I make that up?)

I really hope she pulls through, she sounds like she is lucky to have you.

Edited by RallyValley

Like poodle fan says if your dog is receiving the right vet treatment there is every chance she can pull through.

Fingers crossed for your girl.

Have you spoken to your breeder to tell them, if she got it before she came to you there is every chance others in the litter may have it too.

If your pup is at the vets and receives the right treatment, she has a good chance of survival. If she is not at the vets, she should be.

Where have your uncles dogs and your dog been? Even vaccinated dogs can transmit the virus and places like dog parks tend to be hot spots for it.

I hope she pulls through OK.

I really do agree with this.

My simple understanding is their really no treatment as such, the thing that kills is not the virus but the associated dehydration, she needs to be on a drip asap.

How long have you had Zoey for?

My vets opinion is the incubation period is 3-7 days although it seems to differ depending on which vet you talk to but I will believe mine.

Fingers crossed you little girl pulls through xoxoxo

I've had her since the 18th March. She was exactly 7 weeks old. I was suppose to pick her up at 8 weeks but I live hours away from the breeder and they got vet approval for me to take her home at 7 weeks. I feel bad because if I hadn't pushed for this her vaccination would have had time to work and she wouldn’t be sick.

The first vet gave her a Metomide injection and sent her home with Lectade sachets. He didn't think she had much chance of survival. She could be admitted and it would cost $2000+

I came home from work, sobbed then took her to a Veterinary Hospital. They said she has a better chance of survival if she's admitted. They would not give me any statistics or hope. They said it has been caught early but she will get much worse and every dog responds differently. The treatment costs $2000 - $4000. That's a lot of money to me and she could still die. I've only had her 1 1/2 weeks. I pictured bringing a new pup home and starting over. I did not feel any love towards this imaginary pup nor did I want it.

My pup laid there on the examination table resting her tiny head in the palm of my hand. She lifted her paw which I took with my other hand and I stroked it softly with my thumb. I can't replace her. I admitted her to hospital.

They are treating two other dogs with the same virus and have set up a separate isolation ward for Zoey. I'm not allowed to visit. They are going to call twice a day. They said she will get much worst. She is probably already bleeding from her bowls. They said she'll start vomiting and get diarrhea. The vet said she picked up the virus in the past week and there is no need to contact the breeder.

The vet said she picked up the virus in the past week and there is no need to contact the breeder.

Not necessarily true.

I can't believe the first vet sent her home :happydance:

Fingers crossed for a full recovery - she has every chance of making it so stay positive!

I've had a dog with parvo and she pulled through just fine. She is now 9 years old and has never been sick again a day in her life. I also believe your pup has a good chance of survival. Most vets are very cautious about giving a good prognosis with parvo so don't let that get you too down, try to keep positive. She will get worse before she gets any better and it's very distressing to see, so not a bad idea for you not to visit her unless and until she shows signs of improvement.

A little OT but $2000 - $4000 for treatment of parvo sounds completely ridiculous and I am gobsmacked that a vet would charge so much for it. If she pulls through I would search for another vet to use in the future who is more reasonably priced.

The first vet is good. Their clinic flooded above the roof during the Brisbane/ Ipswich floods. They have moved but I'm not sure if they are fully open. They did suggest hospital treatment. My sister who took the dog to this Vet wasn't sure what to do when told it would cost over $2000. The second vet where my pup is being treated is a veterinarian hospital. They do have higher prices but they are the best Vet I know in my area.

I emailed the breeder and let them know.

I'm thankful I didn't start Puppy Preschool last Saturday. She could have infected other pups. I decided to wait until next week for Monday night classes.

I'm glad to hear other dogs have pulled through and are living healthy lives. I hope mine is one of the lucky ones.

Edited by michelle&zoey

A little OT but $2000 - $4000 for treatment of parvo sounds completely ridiculous and I am gobsmacked that a vet would charge so much for it. If she pulls through I would search for another vet to use in the future who is more reasonably priced.

I must say I'm pretty gobsmacked at that price and variation as well. What's the breakdown of costs out of curiosity?

All the best for your little pup.

I must say I'm pretty gobsmacked at that price and variation as well. What's the breakdown of costs out of curiosity?

I didn't ask. She mentioned the cost goes up considerable if she requires blood plasma transfusions. I read on Wikipedia it has to be from a donor dog that has already survived CPV. A dog went home this week that survived the virus and that dog cost around $2600. Right now I just want my pup back. If I can save her life for under $3000 I'll be very happy. I thought my biggest concern was stopping her biting before I get foster kids next week. It's sad how fast life changes.

Edited by michelle&zoey