My Pup Has Parvovirus

michelle&zoey

Unfortunately SEQ is rife with parvo at the moment thanks to the floods :) Hope your little girl makes it through.

KK's right. There's been a huge surge in parvo cases. The virus has thrived in the moist & warm conditions following the flooding & big wet.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry5230288

I hope your girl pulls thro', as others have said, dogs can. Puppies are so vulnerable. Every best wish coming your way.

Edited by mita

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was PLASMA transfusions that were mentioned, not blood :thumbsup: Plasma transfusions are being used more and more to treat parvo cases.

Yep, it can really turn them around too.

Must add that there is a bit more to Parvo Nursing then just cleaning the cage the animal is in.

Barier Nursing is critical and should be practised in every case.

It was plasma transfusions they mentioned. I thought this meant a blood transfusion but I guess I am wrong.

They are a 24/7 hospital. It sounds like there are cheaper vets out there but I didn't have time to shop around.

I spoke with one of her Vets a couple hours ago. There hasn’t been any change since yesterday. She hasn’t started vomiting and doesn’t have diarrhoea. They expect this will start in the next 12 hours. If we are very lucky and 12 hours passes without these symptoms they will try to feed her a highly digestive food. They told me to phone 9am tomorrow.

The breeder has been in contact with her vet. The remaining pups and the adults are in the clear. They are concerned for Zoey. They told me "Just remember she's a fighter, she has more courage than most of the litter. She kept them all in line." It's good to know they consider her a fighter.

Thank you for all the well wishes. I couldn't sleep last night and it helped me feel better after reading through these comments.

Edited by michelle&zoey

This is just from wiki:

A blood plasma transfusion from a donor dog that has already survived CPV is sometimes used to provide passive immunity to the sick dog. Some veterinarians keep these dogs on site, or have frozen serum available. There have been no controlled studies regarding this treatment.[29] Additionally, fresh frozen plasma and human albumin transfusions can help replace the extreme protein losses seen in severe cases and help assure adequate tissue healing.

I would think critical care at a regular day clinic would be in the vicinity of $200-300 a day and a night of observation at our emergency centres here with 24/hr Vet on staff is around $600 per night. I would imagine a plasma transfusion to be several hundred at least so the price seems reasonable not knowing how many days/nights the puppy will need.

Hope your puppy makes it through. :)

My fingers are tightly crossed for you. I too have an older dog at home who nearly died of this illness as a pup. Spent a small fortune at the vet back then, but 13 years later he has been worth every penny and then some!

You have done everything you can. Try to stay positive.

Everyone here is thinking of you and sending our best wishes.

I would take the plasma for a pup her age, it shouldn't be into the hundreds. Keep her on fluids and only give her literally half a teaspoon full of something like Hills i/d tinned food then wait a few hours, then another half a teaspoon. Yes she needs food but the upsetting on the stomach by trying to feed too quickly will make her sicker.

My own dog was on a drip for 3 weeks with parvo he ended up almost skin and bone but lived, i've been vet nurse for other young pups like yours. Some vets do charge an arm and a leg for parvo care but keep her on the drip as long as you can, even if she looks ok, remember with constant fluids into her she will be perky but take her off too early and they slide again.

If you get a pup again down the track dont take it that early again. Their immune systems are not built to be out and about. Good luck to your baby girl i'm sure she'll pull through she doesnt sound as bad as it could be :)

She’s doing well. Overnight she remained the same. She hasn’t started vomiting or diarrhoea. They are doing a blood test now and another one later in the morning to check her calcium and protein levels. If they are good they’ll feed her. If she processes the food okay they can start discussing the process of sending her home! :laugh: My girl is a fighter.

Guest english.ivy
She’s doing well. Overnight she remained the same. She hasn’t started vomiting or diarrhoea. They are doing a blood test now and another one later in the morning to check her calcium and protein levels. If they are good they’ll feed her. If she processes the food okay they can start discussing the process of sending her home! :laugh: My girl is a fighter.

Great news :D

The vet called this afternoon. She's taken a turn for the worst. They fed her. She had little interest in the food and started vomiting. She also has diarrhoea. She won't be home tomorrow. She is in pain. They gave her pain meds and something to stop the vomiting. :rofl:

This morning they phoned with the results of the blood tests. They said her levels had gone back to normal and they were going to let her home tomorrow. It shows how fast things change.

Edited by michelle&zoey