Share Your New Arrival Pics And Stories Here

Sooky

Lovely puppies everyone!

WA - that foot work is a cack! She's so steady!

Tess is a darling - I love how desperate she is to do her tricks, especially the fast drop!

Dante is stunning! :( So gorgeous, I went and checked them out, but the new knowledge of their coat loss means they will never be one of our dogs. They sure are beautiful.

Archie is so pretty - I love his colouring.

Rebus is adorable, I love the stage where their ears are floppy.

All the puppies are adorable! Makes me want to have another one and then I remember all the hard work - no thanks. :(

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh looking at ur babies makes me tear up thinking how soon ill be posting pics and naughty stories in here about my girl.. im dyeing to name her but its a secret haha

WELL DONE JAKEMON ON TESS' WIN!!!! u must be stoaked! I do Believe Smoothie girl has news from Camp Ren to post in here i wont steal her thunder :(:)

can i join you all in here? if you have been on the MnM's forum you will have already seen my baby girl Willow but here are her pics (ill have to take some more)

196360_10150127428816686_690096685_6741437_3965900_n.jpg

196363_10150127428726686_690096685_6741435_5533075_n.jpg

i thought it might be nice to go through the puppy stage with others :shrug:

WA - that foot work is a cack! She's so steady!

The only problem is that now that we encourage it, she does it all the time and I often have this little puppy hitting my butt with her paws trying to get me to give her something, and she's always standing up against the kitchen counter trying to peer over it. :shrug: I think I've encouraged another bench surfer!

Willow is so cute dandybrush! Is she a koolie?

Congrats Jakemon on Tess's win!

Guest Panzer Attack!

Hi again, it's me, the complete newb!

Just wondering what everyone gives their dog as a training treat? Scooter doesn't seem very interested in food, which blows my mind as Tucker is as food obsessed as they come and le boy's dog is a Cocker... I don't think I need to elaborate there.

He is sitting fairly reliably for a toy now, is this normal? Does anyone else's dogs have more food drive than toy drive? Is one better than the other? It's a bit weird trying to get him to do things for me with some food and then having him spit it out or take an entire minute to eat it... it's hard trying to give him food that can be eaten quickly when he's not even one and a half kilos...

Thanks for your imput in advance :)

E x

PS: kirst I am so excited for you!

Just wondering what everyone gives their dog as a training treat? Scooter doesn't seem very interested in food, which blows my mind as Tucker is as food obsessed as they come and le boy's dog is a Cocker... I don't think I need to elaborate there.

He is sitting fairly reliably for a toy now, is this normal? Does anyone else's dogs have more food drive than toy drive? Is one better than the other? It's a bit weird trying to get him to do things for me with some food and then having him spit it out or take an entire minute to eat it... it's hard trying to give him food that can be eaten quickly when he's not even one and a half kilos...

Thanks for your imput in advance :eek:

E x

Yes, it's normal for some dogs to be more toy driven. We have some in our obedience class who don't work for food but instead work for their toy and playtime.

Try something soft like Fritz (think you guys call it Devon) or cabana chopped up into small pieces. It's easy to eat and really yummy.

Awww, Rebus is so cute!

Edited by whiskedaway

Thanks for your imput in advance :eek:

E x

At least he won't be a little fatty. :(

Try a few different things and try and pinpoint something he goes absolutely nuts for, could be cheese, BBQ chook, liver treats or anything. When you find that special treat, only bring it out for training and don't feed it any other time.

If he loves it that much, he should work hard for it. :(

When we first got Koda ( 7 weeks ago tomorrow), he wouldn't 'work' for treats, even before breakfast for the first week or two and now, he'll do anything for treats, pats, toys, whatever you got! We just completed 5 weeks of puppy school and the first 2 lessons, he would fill up pretty quick and then be asleep by the end of the class! But the last 2 lessons, he was anybody's who'd give him food -- he even tried getting food out of one lady's pocket while she was distracted with her own pup. :) He loves liver treats (they're a bugger to break up really small for a little pup) but was happy taking cheese off the trainer (although he got the runs the next day because of it) and bits of sausage or cooked chicken off the others.

As your pup gets bigger, it may become more interested in food but I've seen dogs down the beach who are very ball driven and I think that's great, a lot healthier for them in the long run and cheaper, too. :)

ETA photo but photobucket is doing site maintenance :)

Edited by Aannie

Ziva was grazing all day at her breeder's, so we created food drive by feeding her 3 individual meals a day. Training is always at meal times - she hasn't eaten out of a bowl yet. If it's not meal time and we're training, then it's for cheese or ham & chicken roll (she hates cabana/cabanossi!)

She also sits for scratches or cuddles now :)

This week's task, starting to build recall - I am anticipating that with a spitz breed, it's going to take a while :)

This week's task, starting to build recall - I am anticipating that with a spitz breed, it's going to take a while :)

Not necessarily. Halo has a really good recall. She could be playing with Akira in the dog park and I'll call her and she comes running. Akira has a crap recall, but if Halo comes, she'll follow because Halo might get something that she won't. :) We took our breeder's advice and made training recall a game - we'd hide in the house, call Halo and she'd get praise, cuddles and treats for coming. So she knew that if she came to us she always had fun and got food. We were lucky though because Lappiemum had started all the recall training off for us because the puppies were always happy to go to her.

Edited by whiskedaway

This week's task, starting to build recall - I am anticipating that with a spitz breed, it's going to take a while :(

Not necessarily. Halo has a really good recall. She could be playing with Akira in the dog park and I'll call her and she comes running. Akira has a crap recall, but if Halo comes, she'll follow because Halo might get something that she won't. :cheers: We took our breeder's advice and made training recall a game - we'd hide in the house, call Halo and she'd get praise, cuddles and treats for coming. So she knew that if she came to us she always had fun and got food. We were lucky though because Lappiemum had started all the recall training off for us because the puppies were always happy to go to her.

All our Sammies are the same, all have good recall.

Willow is sooo cute!! Archie is my first ever dog so I can't help you there.

I think over the last week I have finally 'connected' with Archie and I feel that we have finally bonded.

He has terrible recall though, but I've ordered Susan Garretts 'Crate Games' so I'm hoping that will help with the recall and other general training?

Archie has learnt to do high fives though. It is super cute. He is such a clever pup.

you should try to get a vid of his high five ;), this is the pic i got of my first pups "wave"

post-28917-1302592305_thumb.jpg

:(

ok this is willow doing "leave it" try to excuse my voice lol its embarrassing :laugh:

Willow is gorgeous I love her blue eyes, the video is fab she's so clever.

Any tips for teaching the 'leave it' command???

Any tips for teaching the 'leave it' command???

Start with a low value treat, even just a bit of their dry food. Put it near them and when they go to take it, just give a little tap on their nose and say 'leave'. As soon as they recoil away from it reward them with a really yummy treat that your holding in your other hand. Keep repeating and making it more difficult. You should only need to do the nose taps a few times, they pick it up quickly.

Edited by Jakemon