Share Your New Arrival Pics And Stories Here

Sooky

Any tips for teaching the 'leave it' command???

Start with a low value treat, even just a bit of their dry food. Put it near them and when they go to take it, just give a little tap on their nose and say 'leave'. As soon as they recoil away from it reward them with a really yummy treat that your holding in your other hand. Keep repeating and making it more difficult. You should only need to do the nose taps a few times, they pick it up quickly.

Or just let them see a treat in your hand and then close your fist over it, say "leave it" wait until they stop licking and pawing the hand and then give a treat from the other hand you just grabbed. Repeat the process and build up to having the fist less tightly closed as the dog starts to understand, when you can have an open palm you can move to treats on the ground, or the dogs paws ect. If you want the dog to take the treat and you are not going to reward with another one introduce a take it command.

That way you won't have to 'tap' your dog on the nose and they don't learn to associate kibble with 'taps' on the nose.

(Sorry to butt in! Accidentaly clicked on the wrong link and then had a browse)

Edited by RallyValley

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for tips, I have finally found something he really wants to eat before I had tried liver treats, chicken, cheese and although he ate it he wasnt overly enthusiastic about it, anyway the thing that seems to get him excited is smackos!!! ;)

He went for a playdate with friends boxer today at their house this time and again when he first saw her he whined and hid under their table within 5 minutes he was fine and out running about, she was being so rough with him today kept bowling him over. By the time we left he was covered in lots of boxer slobber and drool :laugh:. Taking him to meet my other friends dog on thurs who is older and calmer and a similar size hopefully they'll have fun :(

Hi I have a new pup called Taj he is 13 weeks old and FULL of energy! Whilst I have had German Shepherds before I haven't had one since mine dies of Cancer 8 years ago so I have forgotten how much energy these little pups have

I am concerned about his ears as they are fully flded in the middle of his head - I don't remember my other Shepherd being like this though. Although I think its cute !

Cheers Kerry

post-39633-1302604666_thumb.jpg

Hi Kerry - rebus is 11 weeks now and still only has one ear up ( well it's not up it's flopped over like yours) the other is starting to come I think. Your boy is lovely very cute :laugh:

Have you had a look at the GSD thread? Lots of lovely pics on there.

Hi Kerry - rebus is 11 weeks now and still only has one ear up ( well it's not up it's flopped over like yours) the other is starting to come I think. Your boy is lovely very cute :laugh:

Have you had a look at the GSD thread? Lots of lovely pics on there.

Na I haven't seen the GS thread I am still trying to work out how to post on the forums LOL

Love the name Rebus by the way

Hi everyone ;)

I picked up my new puppy Holly this evening from the airport. She is settling in really well. She puts our other pup in place when she doesn't want to play and she's snuggled up on my lap having a sleep right now. Holly curled up with me 2 hours ago and we had a nap together. She is one spoilt little pup and she's already friends with our cat. The cat wont go anywhere without her being in the same room and he keeps trying to snuggle her :laugh:

Wadz

post-39492-1302611587_thumb.jpg

doggy lovers - i know your question has been answered

but i teach "leave it" and "take it" at the same time, 1 treat 1 hand for now... start with it enclosed in fist and say leave it when pup leaves your fist alone say take it and reward, repeat. eventually move to open hand with treat, if they go for it close your hand dont let them take it till you say. eventually you make them leave the object and reward from the other hand so they learn they dont always get the item of the leave it, but for now when learning i dont worry about that

thank you whisked away :eek:

glad to hear you have that special bond with 2 dogs, being soo close to razzle i worried is it possible to be as close to the second dog, but with training and time i imagine i will be just as close to willow

Guest Panzer Attack!

Naomi - I borrowed Crate Games off le boy, it is so awesome. I just need to get off my butt and start with it!

Dandybrush - I've never had a pup before, but I think my bond with Scootie is suffering quite severely because I lost my heart girl last year and was so attached to her it nearly killed me (she was euthanised and I still have not gotten over the intense guilt and hurt) and then a very short time later my ex took my first dog to live with him... Scoots is adorable, but everytime he does something annoying (i.e. be a puppy :eek:) it makes me a bit sad because Bambi could never do any wrong. It's not fair, I know, but I am very slowly starting to get over it. Yesterday I got home from work and it was the first time that Scooter was legitimately happy to see me, and when I took him out of his pen this morning he was so incredibly smoochy that my cold dead heart melted just a little.

Thanks for the treat advice. He's such a drivey little psycho, I think I'll keep rewarding him with his toys for the time being. He doesn't really like peanut butter, vegemite, bread, bacon, bits of meat, kibble, liver treats... I'll try cheese next I guess? I even gave him some duck this morning and he wasn't fussed!!

E x

panzer thanx :eek: so sorry for your loss of your heart dog :p you will get there with scoots :D as i am learning to live and love 2 dogs

as for treats, if you want to do training with treats, chop up some roast chicken or anything and get however much he normally gets for dinner and do not feed dinner! use the dinner biscuits and the roast chicken (dinner portion) for "training" then put the food away if he wont work for it, bring it out later and repeat, i do this with willow and i did this with raz, when i was training something specific, the only way they eat is when they are doing that task, he will soon learn then to work for food and be grateful for it :D dogs can go a night or 2 without eating, and will still be fine (if he wont work for it, i dont think it would take him that long to figure it out)

Hi I have a new pup called Taj he is 13 weeks old and FULL of energy! Whilst I have had German Shepherds before I haven't had one since mine dies of Cancer 8 years ago so I have forgotten how much energy these little pups have

I am concerned about his ears as they are fully flded in the middle of his head - I don't remember my other Shepherd being like this though. Although I think its cute !

Cheers Kerry

post-39633-1302604666_thumb.jpg

Looks like teething ears to me. About the right age for it too.

ob27nov1.jpg

Quick update from the Smooths household.

On the weekend Ren had his first show and won Best Baby Puppy in Show at the Collie Open Show. The very next day he had his first off lead session with sheep, just playing at this stage, but he showed heaps of instinct.

Few photos to show how he's settling - he takes everything in his stride.

post-28499-1302697596_thumb.jpg

It's so awesome to watch all the puppies grow :)

Here's a few pics of Barney. He is such a ratbag. He's just fallen asleep, thank god. He thinks everything on the ground needs to be in his belly, so I have to watch him like a hawk! His show training is going really well, he gets a little too excited at dinnertime but it's getting better :). And he's really good at 'come' and throws a lot of enthusiasam into it... that is, he actually THROWS himself at me. He throws himself around a lot. He's very clumsy, he'll be following me so closely and watching me so closely he doesn't realise there's a kitchen bench in front of him and walks right into it.

OH he also just looooovesss dragging his water bowls everywhere, into his bed, into my feet, outside, just anywhere really. He likes to water the tiles too, he's so helpful.

I'd say he's getting used to my constant "confused- disbelief- shaking head" look I give him.

The Sook

IMG_1573.jpg

And here's a few of his first 'zoomie' The kid's insane.

P1010022.jpg

P1010012.jpgP1010009.jpg

P1010028.jpg