Clothes Help

Inevitablue

Im a newbie to showing, and have my first show on the 10th April. Going shopping this weekend for something to wear.

I have a blue Aust Cattle Dog girl and am trying to think of a colour that would complement her. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. How bright can one go without detracting from the dog? I have seen one lady wearing jeans, a tailored jacket, heeled boots and an akubra. I loved the look, but wondered if it was something common.

(oh and green is out...)

Im picturing it now, would look good next to her. Thanks :)

Does it have to be a jacket? or can it be pants and a shirt? It's a specialty.

As it's a specialty I would go with a jacket.

I have seen one lady wearing jeans, a tailored jacket, heeled boots and an akubra. I loved the look, but wondered if it was something common.

There is a gentleman called Alan who has a similar look, It suits him and his breed - also ACD's.

I've seen people wear "earthy browns/oranges/ochres" with the blue cattledogs and it looks quite nice.

Hi,

I was going to suggest gold, pumpkin, rust ....a pale/sky blue could look nice also. Is the Specialty using a local or a judge from overseas. I have had American judges stay after judging, that made the comment.........did the female exhibitors think the show was not important as they wore trousers, since that I have always worn a skirt suit. In my Breed I find the English dont seem to care..........when I look at the photos of the Specialty show in England the exhibitors are very casual in their dress, look more like they doing a spot of gardening rather than dog showing.......but they must be comfortable.

Another bit of advice is.........if you are going to wear a skirt and jacket.........make sure you can run and bend down in the skirt . I have a fast running breed, I look for skirts with either a tulip hemline or some pleating. Dont go for a short skirt, there are times that you need to bend over and you dont want to flash the spectators.

Shoes are important too, look for something with grip. Sketchers and Rivers are good and look nice with skirts or pants. Have a few practices in the outfit with your dog before show day. Good luck and have fun shopping

Edited by Showpony

Thanks everyone.

If I could afford it at the moment I'd love to get a dressy outfit from RM Williams.... sigh.... (some of their clothes in the Bondi Junction store are stunning and quite 'urban'.... but $270 for a shirt!!)

We have been to show lessons for the past few weeks with Luci Ellem, and thats gone great so far, she was such a little sh!t when waiting around this week, but then when stacked or running smartens up her act and doesn't put a foot wrong.

I'm really quite excited :) Off to Castle Hill tomorrow to watch the ACD classes there.

EDIT: Its a local judge

Edited by Jakemon

Check out ebay for RM stuff. Might take a while but I got a brand new shirt for $20! Also for jackets there are a number of facebook shops. Suit it up, Second hand suits, Show Startz Show Suits. I have picked up a few suits fairly cheap!!!

Good luck with your baby!!

eBay is good as long as your a regular size. There are cheaper brands than RM Williams that make similar styles. I like that look over the more formal suits as I think the outback county wear is more appropriate for working breeds like ACDs and Kelpies.

Not sure if you have them in NSW, but I got my show suit from Savers in SA - they had stacks of stuff when I went there, but I also went to a Savers in Vic and found them to be rather crap in comparison to the one in SA. But op-shopping is fantastic and you often pick things up for very cheap. :laugh:

Wear something that will set off the dog's colour, not blend into it. One year at Westminister, nearly all the kerry blue showies wore black or grey, which I thought was rather daft given the colour of the breed.

Just a little update, decided on the McLeods Daughters look!

Dress moleskins, heeled RM's, and a lovely soft pink pinstripe long sleeved shirt. I feel like a real city slicker with the akubra so I'm still undecided about that. Went with the soft pink shirt as it is a baby puppy bitch class. Ooohhhh so excited!

Just a little update, decided on the McLeods Daughters look!

Dress moleskins, heeled RM's, and a lovely soft pink pinstripe long sleeved shirt. I feel like a real city slicker with the akubra so I'm still undecided about that. Went with the soft pink shirt as it is a baby puppy bitch class. Ooohhhh so excited!

Hi,

Sounds lovely, pink should look really nice.......just make sure you can run in your RM's on grass as they can be slippery and if so get a rubber half sole put on them and this solves the problem (speaking from experience with doing halter classes with horses)