Why Do Everyone Hate The Rspca?

Leelaa17

I think there are some branches of the RSPCA and some people who do have the bests interests of the animals at heart and try very very hard to help them out.

However I do not donate to them because they are always crying poor, yet I remember reading somewhere are worth some stupid amount of money - 56million rings a bell - not sure.

They pay their top people insane amounts of money, if they were really that short of money, then pay your top fat cats less! The people on the ground trying to do the right thing at the bottom of the food chain get very little while the fat cats get fatter.

They are against purebred dogs and breeders.

There are some cases which I believe have been handled extremely poorly and they have been trying to make examples of some people - usually those in a very poor position to defend themselves.

They are answerable to no-one - if I have an issue with the way they have treated me or my case for example there is no-one you can complain to, no ombudseman of any sort. A private not-for profit(supposedly) business should not have that much power - ever.

I think the RSPCA needs a major overhaul and until that happens and the organistaion become more transparent I will not be helping them.

I will not support them until there is an appeals process and they are more transparent in their dealings. At the moment there is no process for appeal outside of the RSPCA..sort of like putting a fox in charge of the hen house when the RSPCA is investigator and prosecutor for cruelty cases.

I do not think it is a big ask for them to be accountable but they don't want this to happen, I wonder why? No other private agency has that amount of power but no accountability. In this day and age I am dumbfounded on why this is allowed to happen.

They are a private organisation but our tax dollars go to supporting them AND they ask for donations from the public AND they have money in the bank and assets AND they cry poor. Seriously how can they send out so many mixed messages and expect us to believe them all.

I want them to stop going after soft targets and start to do what is in their charter.

I want them to stop asking for more legislation and start using the current legislation to the full extent they can.

Why does the RSPCA want a film crew to go with them when investigating complaints...where is the natural justice in that tactic?

So until the RSPCA is no longer a law unto themselves, I will not ever support them.

My view of the RSPCA is based on close contact with them in a professional situation.

Although I found three members of staff very professional in my dealings with them, the rest that I encountered were so bad that I was really shocked.

During my interaction we found that some staff had been stolen items seized from a property in a court matter that was required to be returned to the owner, no records were kept that documented accountability, that excuses were made for corrupt behaviour, a lack of basic vet procedures, a failure to provide vet treatment to dogs in their care, a lack of communication between management and staff resulting in a senior inspector organising the rehoming of a dog that was already dead ( the inspector had been told the dog was ready for rehoming when it had died two days earlier)...........

I could go on and on.....

The main problem is that no one overlooks the RSPCA yet it has a law enforcement role.

The public profile is a very slick media campaign yet behind the front doors is an organisation that needs a total clean out.

The clean out needs to start with the Board and under no circumstances should a Board member have a business that receives work directly from the RSPCA.

By this I mean that on the Board is a partner from the law firm that handles most of its prosecutions....... It should be put out to tender.

No Local Government organisation would be allowed to have its Mayor or Councillors also being their provider of their legal services.

I have a very very low opinion of the RSPCA........ but one based on direct experience.

For me it was I asked them about something and they put me off (but indicated it could happen) for weeks until eventually saying no cant do that and it was then too late for me to do something else I had as the backup plan.

Over the years felt a bit better about them until they wasted a huge amount of money taking out full page anti horse racing ads in Melb newspapers - then crying poor for donations to 'save the dogs and cats' sorry but why waste money on full page ads trying to horrify the general public in a completely different campaign if their core business is so desperate for donations.

Because they are a big money making machine and have lost sight of what they are supposed to do, i hate them :laugh:

Agree 100% and also they are all for BSL and have assisted banning certain dog sports in Victoria, now even tug-o-war is illegal according to the legislation.

Most of the reasons why have been covered, so many here have had negative experiences.

There are never any inspectors available when phone calls about sick or starving horses are made, the number of horses that have died in their paddocks awaiting a visit is just sickening. It seems easy enough to gather a posse to rock up at a big dog show and try and find a few nasty exhibitors with docked dogs though :laugh::rofl:

The resources spent on media beat ups blasting breeders for tail docking whilst they beg for kitty litter and food for the animals in their care is quite something.

Apart from that they simply smell bad.

I remember that being on TV (when the RSPCA visited). The koala's in question appeared calm and content enough, and whilst I am no koala expert, it did appear to me that the owner/keeper of the koala sanctuary/rescue did all possible to ensure their continued contentment. I was quite stunned when to the end of the show it reported the RSPCA as having seized the koalas. Why the RSPCA seek to do this under the name of "stress" when seizing animals (that are otherwise well looked after and are very obviously not under any imminent danger of abuse) only adds and/or causes stress, is beyond me. And how sad that (both) the koalas subsequently died whilst under the 'care' of the RSPCA.

Very very sad indeed. Does the "A" in RSPCA stand for "administrators" or "animals" ????

I dont think the majority of people do dislike the RSPCA at all, in fact the organisation is evidently well liked and respected in the broader community. Otherwise the million paws walk would be as huge as it is.

However, on a forum like DOL, you will naturally get some people who have had close and unsatisfactory dealings with other dog-related organisations, and in any 'chat' forum, where people can air (with anonymity if they choose) their strongest feelings, things will be posted that, while passionately put, and often repeated, may still just be minority veiws. Also, if you were somehow able to get a response from every single DOL member to your question, you would get a different outcome than if you just hear from the people who have something they actively want to share with everyone.

Maybe people who haven't worked behind the scenes need to take off their rose coloured glasses and go and volunteer there for a while and see what it's really like. The "general public" like them because they don't know the truth! I guarantee you if they did they would get no more community support.

I don't like them because of how they treated a Rescue organisation on this Forum and how they treated their dogs....in the end they showed they didn't care about the dogs.

That did it for me....taking an extremely well respected rescuer to court on trumped up charges, just to justify the actions of a 'cowboy' relief Inspector. How hard would it have been to admit they got it wrong?

But no....they took it to the extent of the law and just lined the pockets of a law firm, instead of using that money where it belonged, money donated by animal loving people....on animals truly in need.

I don't like them because they seize and kill dogs on looks and not on behaviour, fail to build sufficient kennels to become No-Kill and confuse being a lobby group with law enforcement. Minority views still but growing. I only hope they will find the public will increase it's anger to the level of other AR orgs. All they are interested in is your money, IMHO.

I reported a "dog trainer" for abuse to them and nothing was done. My bitch was learning sit, stay and wouldnt stay so he stood on her tail with all his body weight to make her stay, she yelped in pain and the when she wouldn't come when called (which happened just after he stood on her tail) he hit her on the head with his thick A4 diary.

Another time I had contact with them there was a Siberian Husky in the local RSPCA and I tried to rescue her before it was too late so i called them no answer, I called them again every day for a week and at different times and spoke to no one but the answering machine. I even went to them and it was closed with no one attending to the animals