Why Do Everyone Hate The Rspca?

Leelaa17

I rang them once to report that there was a very frail, aged, emaciated horse that I had suspected was abandoned in a paddock near my horses paddock. I rang them 3 times & they never bothered coming out till 5 days later after my initial call...by the time they came out the horse had already died. :happydance2:

This was first & only time I had dealt with them & as far as I'm concerned they don't really seem to care..& that is why I hate them. :rofl::(

OMG that is horrible! That poor horse. Maybe its owner died or something....either way the RSPCA could have helped and 5 days to get out there is ridiculous!

Not only ridiculous, but I think they were in breech of the regulations. I believe (at least in Victoria) all animal welfare report,s to an inspector gazetted under the cruelty to animals act, need to be seen within 48 hours. As far as I know RSPCA inspectors (in Victoria) are gazetted under that act.

Not sure where you are, but in Victoria the DPI look after farm animals, local councils small animals and the RSPCA the city.

Apparently the 48 hours is a policy not a regulation, ant their is one RSPCA Inspector from Ballarat to Shepparton.

Always remember you cam also ring your local council (who has a ranger) and dpi (for large animals ) who also have inspectors under the cruelty to animal act.

Edited by Pudel

I have called them reagrding my neighbours dog.

This gorgeous old GSD was lying on her side, couldn't get up, and messed everywhere (cause she couldn't get up, although she would try!!!), and the screaming coming from her. Omg, it was horrible. Pot plants were everywhere too, looks like someone had hurt her.

When I called them they said to call the owner.... We did, two hours later he came home, blamed us for his dog, and put her to sleep.

Could they not have sent a vet out? :cheer:

I mean, I was in tears from the screaming coming from this poor sweet girl. My friend heard it on the phone, and had to hang up...

On top of that, my ex's little sister (she's only 16 years old) got a new dog from them. Meant to be a nice, quiet puppy. Turns out to be a 1 year old JRT with more energy then my Pointers. It can never get enough exercise, and she's doing VCE this year, how will she have the time?

If I went with them, I'm still good friends with my ex, I would have told them to go to a different breed of dog, better yet, stay away from the RSPCA.

With that said, I go over often, and take the sister and JRT for a walk. Thinking of a You Yangs trip, maybe that will make him sleepy? :cheer:

I don't hate them, I just think they could be doing a lot "more" with their power, and I think that people that work there should have a love of animals. I used to volunteer there, when I was originally wanting to become an inspector, I got told that the best thing I could do right now is volunteer there for a year or two, at nearly full-time capacity before I would be considered for moving further up in the ranks. So I volunteered the best I could outside my normal job, but wasn't getting up anough hours to be considered, and if I had quit my working job, I would of had no money to live on, thems the breaks. I also couldn't stand-by watching the dogs get euthanised, and it was sending me very very poor lol. At the last minute, I always tried to save a dog, I think I stopped about 10-11 all up from being euthanised from my end (including 5 of them I had to pay adoption fees myself at something like $250 a pop) the other few they let go free, I ended up finding good homes for all of them. Everytime someone came in, I deliberately showed them the ones whom were due to be put down soon. It got to the point where I was stressing about every dog that could possibly be put down, and wasn't "earning my keep" with the roster jobs I was meant to do, instead trying to get every dog adopted, I became a wreck. I also couldn't handle the hoses, lol, you wouldn't believe the amount of muscle and weight you have ot have to use those, I nearly got quite hurt one time with those things! Overall I am not cut out being that close to the frontlines, I have too much empathy, which in that situation, is a very bad thing.

I saw dogs whom were happy, healthy chipper and friendly being put down, whilst dogs that had some agression and other problems were kept on extra days. There was also quite a number of times, people had enquired about one dog, asked its approximate due date, come back before then, only to be told the dog had already been euthanised. :cheer: Those ones upset me the most.

I think the last straw was when I was asked if I was willing to do a personal favour for one of the vets. One of the dogs had come in and needed a quite space after her desexing (the owner scheduled the desexing then phoned the receptionist whilst there were doing it to say he didn't have the money and wanted to surrender the dog or something) and the backrooms were full, the vet asked if I could possibly look after her till it heals. I said yes, took her home, pampered her, and of course, fell in love with her, so when she was healed up, they wouldn't her brough back in, and wanted to do their general tests, I explained whilst the testing was going on, that I was planning to adopt/keep her. She failed the temperment test, lord only knows why, as she was a sweetie, and had showed no signs of any aggression. I fought, but no use, apparently the form Ihad signed at the beginning basically said she belonged to the rspca and I was just holding onto her for after surgery care. She got put down, and it broke me. I quit. I never even got to see her again after she went in to the room for the test. I only have only blurry photo of her playing on her big pillow with a toy.

I have had little to do with them at all except when I adopted our gorgeous Great Dane Nala from them in December. I must say that everything I saw during my visits there seemed all above board and as Nala was very thin at that time, they were feeding her extra to try and get some weight on her.

Now, the only reason I went there was for Nala specifically - I saw her on the Great Dane Rescue site and as she was local thought she was worth a look. I fell in love with her, was not able to get her out immediately and asked if they could hold her and they said yes, and that I could visit anytime with her during opening hours. She is now a much loved part of our family.

I would not have not adopted her because she came from the RSPCA.

I also think that not all RSPCA's operate the same and some are better then others.

My sister was looking for a dog and decided to adopt a deaf red cattle bitch which was in the dog of the week.She lived up the coast so my parents agreed to pick her up for her, the story was she was 10 mths old which was false I had a deaf boxer at the time so knew how to interact with her.

When I visited she was quite placid but probably sedated she was doting on my younger sister and mother but was standoffish with my father, she came to me OK.

The next day was a bank holiday which my father and I had off as picnic days my mother and sister had work and uni,I went for a visit and she was inseperable with my father but hackled up and snarled at me, when my sister and mother came home she full on charged at them and bit my mother,we had no choice but to take her back after ringing the rspca.On arrival they said we had no idea about deaf dogs and wouldnt return the fees or even the lead we bought off them for her.they then had the hide to put her up for adoption again a few weeks later.It turns out she was 2yrs old and had been a kennel pet there since a pup.

About the same time this happened there was a story on the news about a girl taking her two dogs there because she couldnt find accomodation with them,she asked if they would hold them till she found a house which she did but on returning found they had euth'ed both the same day without even taking them to the kennels.

I would be very hesitant about dealing with them again but on the other hand who else has the power or facilities to deal with legal issues in cruelty cases etc unless the govt set up its own organisation which would have to be tax payer funded and probably run by the ex minister for this that and the other who wouldn't have any idea of what the job requires.

I would be very hesitant about dealing with them again but on the other hand who else has the power or facilities to deal with legal issues in cruelty cases etc unless the govt set up its own organisation which would have to be tax payer funded and probably run by the ex minister for this that and the other who wouldn't have any idea of what the job requires.

It should be a govt body that handles cruelty investigations and prosecutions and it should be taxpayer funded, I can't off-hand think of any other legislation where we let a charity handle prosecutions? As a compliance and enforcement framework, I think it's dodgy as all hell.

Where to begin, Clifford the Pitbull :D (We must never forget what the R$PCA did to him).

BSL

A law unto themselves

Money Hungry

Standover tactics

Lack of knowledge of dogs or dog breeds

Moronic Temp tests as shown on that stupid R$PCA show

Hugh Wirthless

Just to name a few, SHAME SHAME SHAME R$PCA :D :rofl::(:laugh:

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Hi

I contacted the RSPCA regard the cruel treatment of a dog in my next door neighbours yard.

It has been tied up to a short 3 metre lead for approximately 3 months and let off the lead only 5 times to clean the area and then placed back again.

The RSPCA advised me that it is ok to tie a dog up providing it is let off one time in 24 hours, very hard to prove this one.

However on another dog problem being housed in a cage for many months I was advised that it the dog can stand up and turn around it is ok.

Where is the Prevention of cruelty in the moto RSPCA??

When I requested a Inspector come and assess the situation I was advised it was not necessary.

Forget the Council as they are as useless as tits on a bull.

Protector

On 4/30/2011 at 2:36 PM, tarope said:

Where to begin, Clifford the Pitbull :D (We must never forget what the R$PCA did to him).

BSL

A law unto themselves

Money Hungry

Standover tactics

Lack of knowledge of dogs or dog breeds

Moronic Temp tests as shown on that stupid R$PCA show

Hugh Wirthless

Just to name a few, SHAME SHAME SHAME R$PCA :D :rofl::(:laugh:

A corporatised monster that is only interested in lining its own pockets. 

• Like 1

If the RSPCA was doing everything everyone thinks they are doing with all the donations and government funding they receive there would be no point in thousands of other rescue groups being in operation around this country. But those thousands of other groups are not duplicating services - they are filling in the gaps and they are giving animals a chance that the RSPCA wouldn't. And they are doing it with none of the money RSPCA gets. Do people also know that the RSPCA moves animals on to other not for profit rescue groups (no funding or support comes with it) to rehabilitate, vet check and rehome? It probably also uses them in their success stats even though they did little and expended very little monies. Do people know just how often the RSPCA has already killed the poster animals it uses to donation drive? Do people know how much govt money they apply for (and often receive at least here in QLD) for bigger infrastructure projects? Have you or anyone you know been successful in having the support of the RSPCA in a cruelty case? Have you or anyone you know been successful in identifying your lost animal through the RSPCA? You can't even get anyone to answer the phone! I'm sure workers love animals but the bureacratic bullshit that resulted in a lack of attention to actual individual animals needs in the time I volunteered and fostered for them stopped me being their supporter.

If independent rescue groups can do more with far less funding then the RSPCA need to have a serious look at their 'achievements' and value base.

• Like 3

Siezing healthy animals, making them sick, then racking up unnecessary vet costs for the original owners... and that's just the tip of the iceberg. God help you if you actually manage to beat them on any trumped up charge they might hit you with... they then REALLY come after you (and anyone brave enough to suuprt your case)...

It's the accountability that is nonexistent that allows them to keep perpetually targetting people until they finally give in or are run into bankruptcy trying to fight the bullsh!t charges is what really irks...

T.

• Like 2

You're right tdierikx -  and they only go after the soft, easy targets - and they jump on board when other people or organisations have done the hard yards (eg Animals Australia and Live Export). If there's an organisation in the animal world that sucks, then the RSPCA is it!   Opportunistic buggers!

• Like 1

Google Leon Mills ex public procecutor's recommendations to parliament, that was 2010.

Its even in the Hansard, as for the politicians actually paying any attention or implementing his recommendations. 

Don't hold your breath, something is seriously rotten in our politicians 

Found that link

http://forum.cyberhorse.com.au/forums/showthread.php?102400-Letter-by-Leon-Mills-submitted-to-Parliament-re-RSPCA

Edited by asal

6 hours ago, asal said:

Google Leon Mills ex public procecutor's recommendations to parliament, that was 2010.

Its even in the Hansard, as for the politicians actually paying any attention or implementing his recommendations. 

Don't hold your breath, something is seriously rotten in our politicians 

Found that link

http://forum.cyberhorse.com.au/forums/showthread.php?102400-Letter-by-Leon-Mills-submitted-to-Parliament-re-RSPCA

My understanding is that politicians only receive a 10 minute briefing before they go into a parliament sitting. If a sitting is over 4 days and there is a minimum of five bills per day under consideration, not to mention all of the other items on the agendas, unless they had a specific interest in a bill, 10 minutes isn't enough to garner anything but a superficial understanding of a subject.

We are living in a growing echo chamber reality, people will only tolerate others that toe the same line that they believe, and facts are no where to be seen.

I've sat in on many parliamentary sittings in my day (QLD so state not federal). Ministers let themselves be briefed on anything of specific interest to them or to their constituents regardless of whose portfolio it belongs to. If they are not interested they don't ask for it because the amount of paper involved is astronomical and they never have even time. They can choose to not even be in the room when something of no interest is scheduled. I've seen Minister's doing their big speil to an empty chamber. There is no requirement for them (at least in QLD) to be briefed in any way about everything being presented to parliament at that sitting. But if it is a hot issue or they are interested their demand for information borders on excessive. It can all go from one extreme to the other.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I phoned the RSPCA when a dog was in my front yard, day and night wanting to get to my bitch in heat, who was behind a high fence and kept off the streets in her heat cycle.  I could not track down the owners and was concerned for the dog's well being.  I didn't want to call the pound, in case the dog got put down and being a very young, new wife, didn't know who else to contact, which I explained to the woman who answered the phone.  She was rude and abrasive and gave me know help at all.  Just a lecture on having my bitch serilized.  I was not impressed.

I dislike them because a person in our street decided it was fine to put their staffie in a bird cage, not Avery, but a bird cage out in their back yard. The RSPCA's response was "that the owners can legally confine their dogs for up to 22 hours a day". They didnt even bother to come out and check on the poor dog :mad

Don't hold your breath, something is seriously rotten in our politicians. 

Just about every word of this article below,  even though it is written in England applies here. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3590931/Yes-MoS-s-victory-RSPCA-sweet-let-tell-sorry-NOT-enough.html

After I went public about the theft of my dog Stringy, found people began contacting me with their stories, although the day one of their employees arrived sobbing at my door unable to cope with the realisation he had put still living albeit sedated dogs into the incinerator, he had almost finished when he picked one up by a leg and felt a strong pulse, after checking the remaining dogs that had been "euthanased" found all over medium size were very much alive reported to the vet in charge and told "don't worry they won't feel a thing" queried why are they still alive to be told," if we fully dosed them all we would go broke "

He had signed a none disclosure agreement banning him from disclosure of anything to do with his employer. 

I know he never did, nor did I as I feared them too, but someone told the papers some weeks later so it did become public record. 

Not far from 18 years later still totally unaccountable or avenue of appeal even under consideration let alone implemented 

Edited by asal