Why Do Everyone Hate The Rspca?

Leelaa17

I volunteered for the RSPCA quite a while ago and I stopped going because I didn't agree with their euthanasia of dogs. (my opinion).

I am simply curious to know why others don't like the RSPCA?

:D

Sign The Petition!!!! -------> http://www.thepetitionsite.com/4/harsher-p...animals-in-nsw/

I dont like them simply because they get more than enough funding, and always want more. I am also against euthaasia. I have worked closely along side them in the past and dont like their practices in general.

I have also called them regarding sick animals and they have wanted to know nothing about it.... :laugh:

Wow really? That's awful to hear!

When I would volunteer, the volunteers there (some not all) would spend no time with the animals - I do know that's what volunteers are there for but they seem to not care at all.

I wish there was some way they could change. :laugh:

I don't like them because they once (may still do) support BSL.

I don't like them because of how they treated a Rescue organisation on this Forum and how they treated their dogs....in the end they showed they didn't care about the dogs.

I don't like them because of how they treated a Breeder who showed de-barked dogs.

I don't like them because of my own personal experience with them through rescue.

And those are just a few cases that were well kown here on DOL...imagine what else is lurking.

I'm not against Euthansia, it has to happen in many cases in rescue, I don't know what they do on that side of things so can't comment.

Edited by MEH

Can't say that I hate them uniformally, the state and territory branches operate with some autonomy and they aren't all the same.

But too little oversight, too little effectiveness, too much arrogance and an empire building mentality are the themes that come through in the experiences related on this forum.

I think the ACT branch is quite good, but elsewhere DoLers have raised issues like:

-they have legislated enforcement powers but without the usual accountability and oversight that would apply if it were a gov't agency with the enforcement role, which is a basic failure of governance (this is a very reasonable concern everywhere IMO),

- many people have reported cruelty and neglect cases without any response from the organisation, or have tracked individual cases where dogs were exploited for their fund raising appeal but didn't have good outcomes, so they have a direct personal sense of disappointment in their effectiveness or level of care,

- they are currently pushing an anti-pure breed anti-reg breeder attitude and jumping on the 'pedigree dogs exposed' media bandwagon, including pushing in various ways for very restrictive arrangements for reg breeders

- they have been seen to go after a couple of breeders in ways that that look like they aren't prioritising real abuse but would rather get an easy win over trivia, no matter what the emotional cost to the person involved or the negative effects on the dogs,

- they look to favour the high profile, high donor effect TV show type action for maximum fund raising effect, even when it includes misinformation or pure hype,

- they appear to have significant finances but are always crying poor, so people think they spend to much on administration and empire building

- they had an role in bringing in BSL, and while that has changed in some places some of their spokespeople still express a strong anti-apbt bias. Not all though.

Edited by Diva

I dont think the majority of people do dislike the RSPCA at all, in fact the organisation is evidently well liked and respected in the broader community. Otherwise the million paws walk would be as huge as it is.

However, on a forum like DOL, you will naturally get some people who have had close and unsatisfactory dealings with other dog-related organisations, and in any 'chat' forum, where people can air (with anonymity if they choose) their strongest feelings, things will be posted that, while passionately put, and often repeated, may still just be minority veiws. Also, if you were somehow able to get a response from every single DOL member to your question, you would get a different outcome than if you just hear from the people who have something they actively want to share with everyone.

I don't have any particular issues with the local branch (ACT)

However, nationally Diva is on the money.

They court a public image as animal welfare benefactors (all creatures great and small) when the reality is far less objective.

How any animal welfare organisation can remain largely silent on issues like the live sheep export trade and puppy farming while ruining the lives of individual Australians with witch hunts sits very poorly with me.

They appear to be running more and more of an animal rights agenda and their campaigns do not run in the interests of purebred dogs.

Money talks with the RSPCA.. and those without it are at the mercy of an organisation with little public accountability and the power to send you to the wall if they choose to.

Edited by poodlefan

I don't dislike the RSPCA. There is some very strong anti-RSPCA sentiment on DOL that I do not think is necessarily even representative of the prevailing opinion on DOL. How many lurkers are just too scared or don't care enough to share their feelings on the organisation?

I don't dislike the RSPCA. There is some very strong anti-RSPCA sentiment on DOL that I do not think is necessarily even representative of the prevailing opinion on DOL. How many lurkers are just too scared or don't care enough to share their feelings on the organisation?

The question you have to ask yourself Corvus is how familiar your average DOLer is with the workings of the organisation. Other than rolling up for the Million Paws Walk every year, I imagine many folk don't know much about them - just a general idea that they run shelters and deal with cruelty cases.

Seems to me that familiarity breeds contempt. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

I rang them once to report that there was a very frail, aged, emaciated horse that I had suspected was abandoned in a paddock near my horses paddock. I rang them 3 times & they never bothered coming out till 5 days later after my initial call...by the time they came out the horse had already died. :laugh:

This was first & only time I had dealt with them & as far as I'm concerned they don't really seem to care..& that is why I hate them. :laugh: :D

Guest english.ivy

I have nothing against them but they always seem to be looking for money. Only what I have read through Dol.

I know I wouldn't get a rescue from them, I'd support the dogs home in Shenton Park or a rescue group.

The RSPCA are against having any body or organisation to which they should be accountable to. There isn't one at present. The RSPCA is accountable to no-one. And IMO this should change. Why would they be against having a body or organisation to which they would be accountable to? If there is nothing they do which is wrong, I don't understand why they wouldn't welcome such a system of accountability. :laugh:

I rang them once to report that there was a very frail, aged, emaciated horse that I had suspected was abandoned in a paddock near my horses paddock. I rang them 3 times & they never bothered coming out till 5 days later after my initial call...by the time they came out the horse had already died. :laugh:

This was first & only time I had dealt with them & as far as I'm concerned they don't really seem to care..& that is why I hate them. :laugh: :D

OMG that is horrible! That poor horse. Maybe its owner died or something....either way the RSPCA could have helped and 5 days to get out there is ridiculous!

I rang them once to report that there was a very frail, aged, emaciated horse that I had suspected was abandoned in a paddock near my horses paddock. I rang them 3 times & they never bothered coming out till 5 days later after my initial call...by the time they came out the horse had already died. :D

OMG that is horrible! That poor horse. Maybe its owner died or something....either way the RSPCA could have helped and 5 days to get out there is ridiculous!

Yep it was really tragic...the horse was on a vacant paddock with no house, so I couldn't even find out if it had an owner.. There wasn't a blade of grass in the paddock (this was about 4 years ago when we where still badly in drought ) I managed to give the horse some water & also a little bit of hay, but I think by that stage the horse was too far gone & probably needed a vet.

It's just really disgusting that the RSPCA didn't seem to care & that the poor old horse had to suffer. :laugh: