Why Do Everyone Hate The Rspca?

Leelaa17

I remember that being on TV (when the RSPCA visited). The koala's in question appeared calm and content enough, and whilst I am no koala expert, it did appear to me that the owner/keeper of the koala sanctuary/rescue did all possible to ensure their continued contentment. I was quite stunned when to the end of the show it reported the RSPCA as having seized the koalas. Why the RSPCA seek to do this under the name of "stress" when seizing animals (that are otherwise well looked after and are very obviously not under any imminent danger of abuse) only adds and/or causes stress, is beyond me. And how sad that (both) the koalas subsequently died whilst under the 'care' of the RSPCA.

Very very sad indeed. Does the "A" in RSPCA stand for "administrators" or "animals" ????

For me what was the really big deal that came out of that enquiry was the statement from the ex prosecutor and the explaination of accounatbility by the NSW president. Not only no accountability but different rules apply when prosecuting someone - the ability for collusion etc.

People should be taking a good look at the various moves currently under way to introduce new laws - most recent Victoria.these will affect all breeders and rescue -

look really hard at who and how what they are proposing will all be policed. It is very noticeable that when the new government was elected they had promised more power to the RSPCA yet none of that is memntioned in the published proposal notes.

People should start writing letters now to tell them we dont any more laws or any more power given to a quasi police force until there is the ability for external accountability.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=217870

On a non-dog related issue:

One thing I really don't like is their RSPCA endorsed eggs.

They say these are "barn laid" they are really just from battery farmed hens :cry:

Also when questioned they say that the reason they support "barn-laid" eggs and not free-range is because the hens are at risk of getting hurt/eaten by foxes and cats when they are free-range :cry:

this disgusts me. They have obviously been bought over by cage eggs companies.

They also should be supoorting the correct labelling of eggs so that consumers can by eggs labelled free-range and know for sure that they are actually free range.

They say these are "barn laid" they are really just from battery farmed hens :cry:

Do you have proof of that? I'm pretty sure that the SPCA barn laid eggs are, in fact, barn laid (i.e., confined with the other hens inside a large shed) not battery (i.e, in individual battery cages). But if they're mislabelling battery eggs as barn eggs, that's would be a big story if a newspaper got hold of it.

On a non-dog related issue:

One thing I really don't like is their RSPCA endorsed eggs.

Also when questioned they say that the reason they support "barn-laid" eggs and not free-range is because the hens are at risk of getting hurt/eaten by foxes and cats when they are free-range :cry:

this disgusts me. They have obviously been bought over by cage eggs companies.

They also should be supoorting the correct labelling of eggs so that consumers can by eggs labelled free-range and know for sure that they are actually free range.

Far out I didn't know that.

This thread looks like one of those vile DOL lynching threads where people post speculations and accusations that they will never be required to substantiate, and the subject of their accusations isnt around to refute any of the claims.

For the record, I once reported seeing a horse down and struggling in a paddock as I drove past, and the RSPCA was out there within a couple of hours. Turned out I was wrong and the horse was fine. Ill bet they get a lot of those.

Also, regarding their 'support of BSL'; While a previous national leader of RSPCA was vocal in support of BSL, he hasnt held that position for several years. RSPCA shelters are obliged to act in accordance with the laws of the state they are in - and most states have BSL. In the ACT the RSPCA shelter regularly has pitbulls available for adoption, because ACT has no BSL.

this disgusts me.

I thought it meant they were free range during the day and brought in at dusk to protect them from foxes etc. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

This thread looks like one of those vile DOL lynching threads where people post speculations and accusations that they will never be required to substantiate, and the subject of their accusations isnt around to refute any of the claims.

For the record, I once reported seeing a horse down and struggling in a paddock as I drove past, and the RSPCA was out there within a couple of hours. Turned out I was wrong and the horse was fine. Ill bet they get a lot of those.

Also, regarding their 'support of BSL'; While a previous national leader of RSPCA was vocal in support of BSL, he hasnt held that position for several years. RSPCA shelters are obliged to act in accordance with the laws of the state they are in - and most states have BSL. In the ACT the RSPCA shelter regularly has pitbulls available for adoption, because ACT has no BSL.

What is unsubstantiated? There have been posts to enquiries, reports and first hand knowledge.

If you don't personally want to believe what has been posted then that is your choice but you cannot say it is not happening to those of use who have opened our eyes to the problems we face with the RSPCA as it is currently structured.

this disgusts me.

I thought it meant they were free range during the day and brought in at dusk to protect them from foxes etc. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Nope, "barn laid" are confined in a large shed at all times. They can walk around & stretch their wings, but it's pretty crowded & they don't get access to grass or sunshine.

Free range are allowed access to the outdoors, but may be confined inside at dusk.

Battery hens live in tiny cages at all times.

If the RSPCA are really mislabelling caged eggs as barn eggs, there would be a big outcry when that is exposed. People pay a premium for barn eggs (although not as much as for free range), & noone likes being duped.

Edited by Staranais

You are entitled to your opinion, however there are many people on this forum that have had first hand experience with the RSPCA, they do not need to make up stories.

The only thing vile here is the organisation that is being discussed.

Do you have proof of that? I'm pretty sure that the SPCA barn laid eggs are, in fact, barn laid (i.e., confined with the other hens inside a large shed) not battery (i.e, in individual battery cages). But if they're mislabelling battery eggs as barn eggs, that's would be a big story if a newspaper got hold of it.

Well RSPCA supports Pace farm barn laid eggs.

But pace farm also produce caged eggs.

And I'm trying to find the link, haven't found it yet.

But there are more eggs sold as free-range and barn-laid than could possibly be produced by amount of these establsihments that actually exist.

The RSPCA IMO shouldn't be supporting a company that also produces cage eggs. Considering this I am very skeptical that the eggs labelled as barn are sourced soley from chickens that are actually in barns.

This is all stuff I researched a few years ago when I was really trying hard to find free-range egss that are actually free range. I have since found a local producer thankfully :cry:

this disgusts me.

that is the way free-range establishments work. Barn-laid eggs are from chickens who spend their life in the barn.

Yeah I personally think that the risk of being eaten couldn't be too high.

I have no reason to make up bull shit...I can assure you the horse I spoke of in a previous post was suffering & dying & the RSPCA did nothing , even after I rang them 3 times. :cry: They didn't bother coming out for 5 days, & by then the horse had died. :cry:

Just because they may get false alarms every now & then is no excuse to not take every report seriously...They are bloody hopeless & in my experience do not seem to care. :cry:

I cannot speak for the others who have made comment in this thread but I can assure you that my statement is based on fact and I am happy to provide in a pm names and dates.

All my statements can be backed up by facts and at least one senior RSPCA will confirm the truth of what I have said. I can provide emails to back my statements.

Additionally a well respected vet will confirm my statement regarding the vet practices based on his direct involvement. He was requested to inspect a dog by an order of the Court and he found that they were treating a dog with a drug that was contra indicated given its condition. The RSPCA Sydney had custody of the dog and they were arguing that it was in the dog's interests to be put down. The independent Vet who inspected the dog at the RSPCA pointed out the incorrect drug that was being given, which was causing its condition.

The dogs was released to GAP in Qld where it went on to enjoy a nice life.

Further the Court records will show that the RSPCA was ordered to not put down any of the dogs involved and that they were to surrender them to other Rescue organisations. They fought the order and lost.

What ever you believe about the RSPCA you must consider, in these days of checks and balances, if its acceptable that a Board member of a enforcement organisation is also the one making a profit from those prosecutions. We have police prosecutors..... they should be acting for the state not the RSPCA appointed lawyers.

Unfortunately they still support BSL which was introduced at there behest. They have never spoken out about repealing it and so continue to kill on looks and anot behaviour. Semantics have changed but end result is the same, DEAD DOGS.

Unfortunately they still support BSL which was introduced at there behest. They have never spoken out about repealing it and so continue to kill on looks and anot behaviour. Semantics have changed but end result is the same, DEAD DOGS.

I think you'll find you're wrong there, JD.

This quote from Michael Linke, RSPCA (ACT) CEO, made on 10 July 2010 under his DOL moniker of RextheRunt:

"Hi. Its Michael Linke here, CEO RSPCA ACT.

My comments were meant generically to point out breed and colour confusion, one reason (of many) why BSL fails. I am, as is current RSPCA national policy, opposed to BSL."

I haven't posted in this thread but have previously in others about my experiences with the rspca and it is all first hand. When I was a kid my most precious possession was my blue rspca membership badge. Unfortunately, when I became active in animal welfare in my teens I saw a side of them that wasn't right. I've actually never had any luck at getting a case of cruelty investigated even though I have only reported as a last resort. Not just that, but issues that I've had first hand with the shelter in Fairfield. Then of course are the things on public record such as their "show" and the persecution of certain people and groups.

Unfortunately they still support BSL which was introduced at there behest. They have never spoken out about repealing it and so continue to kill on looks and not behaviour. Semantics have changed but end result is the same, DEAD DOGS.

I think you'll find you're wrong there, JD.

I think the point is that they haven't done as much to get the Government to repeal BSL as they did to support it when it was proposed. ASAIK, anyway.

Edited by Erny

The RSPCA are just as free to post here as anyone else.

In fact, if the RSPCA want to know where people are not happy with them; what areas of complaint need attention ...... this would be a good thread to come to.