So Angry, Just Got A Call From A Byb

Baileys mum

Hi everyone, just need to vent...Just got a ph call from some bloke that wants to use one of my Purebred Australian terrier stud dogs for breeding to their Aussie terrier x JRT :(

When I explained to them that I'm a registered breeder & do not condone & support BYB or x-breeding he pretty much accused me of being unreasonable & then had the cheek to ask if I knew of any other breeders that would be happy to help him. :o

I then said that I didn't know of any reputable purebred Aussie breeder that would help him & then I asked him why he wants to breed his bitch anyway...He then said that he thinks it would be a nice thing for his girl to become a mother because she is such a lovely girl & that he wants pretty puppy from her & wants others to have the joy of owning a puppy from her. :eek:

I then said that his bitch doesn't care about becoming a mother & that he could always go to a purebred breeder a buy a purebred Aussie or JRT puppy if he wants a new puppy as it would be much cheaper & less hassle..but he said he just wants a puppy from his beautiful girl. :)

I then tried to tell him that breeding is not just as easy as putting 2 dogs together, & that it is very exspensive & alot of work & that something could go wrong & his bitch might need a c-section or even die..he then said he wasn't stupid & he had done his research & knows what to do...& he thinks that the chances of something going wrong is very minimal & that he is willing to take the chance.

I then told him that there was 100's of x-bred small dogs in the pound getting put down every day & why would he want to contribute to that..He then said what makes me think any of his puppies would end up in the pound & that he would make sure his puppies go to good homes, & why would I think his x-bred pups would end up in the pound any more than my purebred pups.

By this stage I realised that he is so set in his ways & determined to breed his bitch, that it didn't really matter what I said to him..he was determined to breed his bitch no matter what. :p So I just ended the call by saying, sorry I couldn't help & that I was pretty sure that any registered breeder he rings will give him the same answer.

He then just rudely hung up on me. ;)

It just frustrates me that people are so set in their ways about breeding , that no matter how much you try & educate them against it they just seem to have an answer to anything you say. I may as well of been talking to a brick wall.

Thanks guys ..vent over, I just needed to get my frustrations out..as this bloke really annoyed the hell out of me. :rofl:

Nicole

Edited by Baileys mum

You sure did a good job in sounding out a reality check for that bloke. You're right, tho', when you said he was already committed to his 'dream' idea.

Yep mita, it didn't matter what I said to him, there was just no changing this blokes mind..I only hope he has trouble finding a stud dog, but I'm sure unfortunately there is probably an unethical breeder out there looking for some extra cash that will give him what he wants. :(

..He then said that he thinks it would be a nice thing for his girl to become a mother because she is such a lovely girl & that he wants pretty puppy from her & wants others to have the joy of owning a puppy from her. :)

I then said that his bitch doesn't care about becoming a mother & that he could always go to a purebred breeder a buy a purebred Aussie or JRT puppy if he wants a new puppy as it would be much cheaper & less hassle..but he said he just wants a puppy from his beautiful girl. :(

Funny he didn't mention his main motivation - he thinks there's a buck in it for him! :eek:

..He then said that he thinks it would be a nice thing for his girl to become a mother because she is such a lovely girl & that he wants pretty puppy from her & wants others to have the joy of owning a puppy from her. :)

I then said that his bitch doesn't care about becoming a mother & that he could always go to a purebred breeder a buy a purebred Aussie or JRT puppy if he wants a new puppy as it would be much cheaper & less hassle..but he said he just wants a puppy from his beautiful girl. :(

Funny he didn't mention his main motivation - he thinks there's a buck in it for him! :o

I tried telling him that if he thought it was a good way to make money then he would be disappointed as breeding is very exspensive & if anything he could actually be out of money..but he said that money had nothing to do with it & his only motivation was to let his bitch experience the joy of motherhood & for him to keep a beautiful puppy from her. :eek:

As if I believe that though.

If it helps... you sounded very professional :eek:

Awww thanks Dogperson :( I wouldn't say I'm professional, but I have learnt alot from being on Dol & have learnt alot of tips of what to say in a situation like this & also in how to educate someone to think twice about BYB'ing...not that it done much good on this occasion. :)

Dont worry I got a text message last week asking if I would let my boy be used their lovely kelpie x. I even got two pictures of their mutt. Not even the decency to ring- but I assume they had already been told no by breeders.

I chose to just ignore this one.........

I have got numerous calls in this regard. I say similar things every single time. The best was someone ringing up to breed with a bitch they were looking after while the owner was overseas so their children could see the miracle of life. I think he rang about 8 times :( In the end I told them to ring another breeder well know for blasting people like this- funnily enough they didn't ring back lol.

Dont worry I got a text message last week asking if I would let my boy be used their lovely kelpie x. I even got two pictures of their mutt. Not even the decency to ring- but I assume they had already been told no by breeders.

I have got numerous calls in this regard. I say similar things every single time. The best was someone ringing up to breed with a bitch they were looking after while the owner was overseas so their children could see the miracle of life. I think he rang about 8 times :( In the end I told them to ring another breeder well know for blasting people like this- funnily enough they didn't ring back lol.

:) Gee woofen,did the owner of the bitch even know what plans these people had? I would be ropeable if I trusted someone to look after my bitch & they decided to breed from her behind my back. :eek:

Guest english.ivy

read in todays paper about a guy, somewhere in WA, got fined for stealing someones dog to breed with their cross bred.

I have got numerous calls in this regard. I say similar things every single time. The best was someone ringing up to breed with a bitch they were looking after while the owner was overseas so their children could see the miracle of life. I think he rang about 8 times :thumbsup: In the end I told them to ring another breeder well know for blasting people like this- funnily enough they didn't ring back lol.

:laugh: Gee woofen,did the owner of the bitch even know what plans these people had? I would be ropeable if I trusted someone to look after my bitch & they decided to breed from her behind my back. :cry:

As far as I know they didn't. I wanted to know what would happen if the bitch died- but apparently that defiantly wouldn't happen dog. But they also didn't want to spend too much money at the vet, nor organise to stay at home to supervise the whelping and raising of the litter.................. I had a litter on the ground and they wanted to visit to play with my pups- didn't ask if that was ok just tried to demand my address!!!

Freak would be an apt description for this guy!!

To be honest most of the general Joe Public think this way.

When I got Lewis I knew there would be one person in particular that would ask to use him over their unrego'd bitch.

I said no as she was not registered and I didn't want to breed BYB puppies and he was not available to public stud etc etc.

I then got asked 6 months later, I know you said no, but my Other Whippet is sick and I really want a puppy so would you consider it. Answer again - no, as for before reasons and also the fact that I would lose my Canine rego if I did and I was definately not going to, They found someone else willing, who had rego'd dogs, but the Whippet is not - and wahla 5 puppies and a 1 am Caesar.

Now these people look after their dogs well, all puppies are vaccinated etc they don't go until 8 weeks of age, but being rego'd isn't important to them. You just cannot change peoples minds about it when they see little benefit to doing it.

Now with this person - and most others- they fact the bitch isn't rego'd means absolutely nothing and saying to them no because they are not rego'd etc, the person just does not consider it of much importance.

They did say at one stage that they could just call past when she was in season and chuck her in with my dogs and how would I know the difference - now they were joking as I know them well, but it did get me thinking about the possibity that people may actually stoop so low as to do it. They were told, do that and you will know what getting blasted by a shotgun feels like :thumbsup:

Completely OT here but seriously, why would anyone want to cross breed an Aussie Terrier anyway? They're the perfect dogs and don't need to be crossed ... especially a JRT anyway! :thumbsup: (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with JRTs as I think they're awesome little guys too!).

You sure did a good job in sounding out a reality check for that bloke. You're right, tho', when you said he was already committed to his 'dream' idea.

Yep mita, it didn't matter what I said to him, there was just no changing this blokes mind..I only hope he has trouble finding a stud dog, but I'm sure unfortunately there is probably an unethical breeder out there looking for some extra cash that will give him what he wants. :thumbsup:

Just be grateful that there are very few Aussie breeders (especially in Vic) and the ones that I know would probably hang and quarter this guy before they would let him use their stud dogs.

Unfortunately most registered breeders regardless of what they breed get these type of calls. And people don't want to hear that no reputable registered breeder will let them use their stud. Some of them are polite when you say no and others are rude but none of them listen to the reasons you have said no. I have pure breed cats and the same things happen with them.

Jo

Sadly I get these calls quite regularly :cry:

I always ask first.....does your bitch have pedigree papers ? Yes or No..."but her parents do"..... sorry cannot help you.

Next if the girl does have papers.....then we go on to the necessary health testing (but most often we dont get the right answer to the first question anyway)

If they are still adamant on their unpapered bitch........ I say no can't help you and also throw in about PRA saying if your dog is a carrier and you breed to another dog that is a carrier, the pups will go blind.

That one seems to get silence on the other end....followed by a "ok....thanks....bye"

If it doesnt quite get the idea through their heads.... I also throw in, well without papers you'd never know if you were breeding brother to sister and you'll get mutant pups - some lines of labs dont go with others so you've gotta be sooooooo careful with the selection of a partner.

$2500 for an after hours c-section....so make sure you have that money saved up as well.

Tell them the horror stories that nobody thinks happens....and bitches eating pups and squashing them etc etc

On the odd occassion though, I do get a "ohh we didnt realise there was so much to it, we think we wont bother now" :thumbsup:

Although being as Labs are quite a popular breed, if they have their heart set on it, then no doubt they'd find someone somewhere that'll help them with that litter that they "just have to have". :laugh:

Yep mita, it didn't matter what I said to him, there was just no changing this blokes mind..I only hope he has trouble finding a stud dog, but I'm sure unfortunately there is probably an unethical breeder out there looking for some extra cash that will give him what he wants. :laugh:

Just be grateful that there are very few Aussie breeders (especially in Vic) and the ones that I know would probably hang and quarter this guy before they would let him use their stud dogs.

I agree Austerra..I could count the amount of registered Aussie breeders in Vic on one hand & I'm pretty sure all of them would give them the same answer as me...but this bloke said if he can't find an Aussie terrier stud , then he will look for a JRT stud dog instead. :thumbsup:

Edited by Baileys mum