Dogs And Rat Bait

thomo84

Hello All,

Just wondering we were thinking of putting some mice/rat bait in our pantry cause we think we may have had mice in there, just cleaned it all out.

We were wondering if it would be dangerous if the mice eat it then ran off and die and if our dog found the mouse and either ate it or chewed on it? he wouldn't be able to get to the bait itself but would it be dangerous if he got the actual mouse?

Thanks

Thomo

Dogs can find ways to get at rat bait, even if you think they can't get to it, they will! Believe me, I almost lost both my dogs to rat bait last year after they got into the garage and got it down from a 5Ft-6Ft high shelf! It was touch and go for a few weeks with my Amstaff. PLEASE DON'T USE BAIT

Edited by julzjc

I agree with the others, dont use bait. Rats and mice some times move baits around too. I once had bait in a bait station and I think it was swallows that threw baits out on to the ground. My Rotty picked up the bait, lucky I was there and got him to drop it. Just not worth the risk.

Don't do it. I had my dog to the vet yesterday as he was clearly unwell, and asked if this could be a possibility as he is our chief mouse catcher. The vet described the symptoms of a dog eating a baited mouse (thank DOG mine had none of those symptoms), and believe me, they were awful. Nothing I'd ever wish on any living creature.

They die through a slow bleed as their blood doesn't clot.

You can buy a poisen that suposidly doesnt have secondary poisening.

That means other animals wont die.

Because its not just dogs that eat mice, all the Raptors do and other native animals.

I dont trust any bait.

I would use traps.

Rat/mice poisen takes days to kill, which I reacon is really cruel.