Some Breeds Less 'smelly' Than Others?

jacqui835

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My GSD has skin problems and he reeks! :) Not very nice to have in the house. That combined with the shedding (seriously I get a whole dog's worth of hair off him every week, despite him missing hair from skin problems) is making me not very keen on getting another one.

Kavik, I had a GSD who had skin problems and she stunk. I put her on Lamb & Rice for about six weeks and she came good. She was fed Nutro Lamb & Rice the rest of her life and we never had any problems. You may have already tried this solution but if you havnt its worth a try.

I have tried pretty much everything diet related that I can think of :cry: As he is getting older his skin is getting worse :shrug: Being pregnant at the moment I am noticing the smell even more! Ick! Unfortunately it makes me not want to spend much time with him.

I must admit I rarely bath my dogs, neither tend to have any doggy smell. My beagle only smells if she rolls in something and my Sibe is much the same.

What about a breed like a Malinois?

ETA: When I say rarely, I mean probably a few months in between baths. Cherry on the other hand gets quite smelly and needs regular baths.

Edited by huski

Generally I think smelly dogs are those that are not fed a diet that suits them
I feel that doggy smell has more to do with diet and health.

I disagree. While some of my dog's smelly coat is from skin condition, he has always smelt like that regardless of the food he's on (and there have been a few). He's always shed a lot too. He has a clean bill of health from the vets.

Last dane - he was chronically ill for some time with immune mediated issues so was not a healthy dog and yet he did not shed and did not smell.

I would suggest that maybe the Std Poodles he has owned in his life were either fed very poor diets, had ear issues, or both.

None of the poodles I get in to groom smell at all.

Keeshonds dont smell unless they get wet. In fact my Lhasa's dont smell either.

They certainly loved them a lot and the dog I saw at least had no obvious ear issues, nor did he smell of anything other than dog - it just smelt like a normal dog. But they were fed pet food you buy from the supermarket, cost them a lot but I now know there's virtually nothing you can buy from a supermarket that's good for your dog. But most people don't know. It wasn't a really bad smell, just, they smelt like dogs. My old dog smelt the same and I know he didn't have any ear infections.

I don't really mind the smell that much to be honest but I don't think I could go to work smelling like that. And I guess we're spoiled now because you can literally bury your face in our doberman and not really smell anything, certainly nothing unpleasant, and I haven't really met many other dogs (none that I can think of except for his parents) that I would say that about. My sister has 2 little papillons, and although they're washed, groomed and fed well, they smell doggy, so I guess we've just assumed it was a breed thing. My dobe is lying on the floor in the sun next to me right now, and shivering from time to time because it's very cold outside so there's a price to pay for his thin coat.

I'm really glad to hear some people have GSD's who don't smell, because I still really love the breed. My partner has started requesting a weimeraner, so looks like decision making is still a way off...

Double coated breeds that are not properly groomed out will get a manky smell.

I think it comes from the skin not being able to breathe properly when the coat is full of undercoat that needs grooming out.

Some dogs also start to smell very quickly after a bath if they are not dried thoroughly afterwards. The moisture retained in a heavy coat makes them pong again quickly.

Diet certainly does play a part, but I think grooming does too.

My GSD has skin problems and he reeks! :) Not very nice to have in the house. That combined with the shedding (seriously I get a whole dog's worth of hair off him every week, despite him missing hair from skin problems) is making me not very keen on getting another one.

Kavik, I had a GSD who had skin problems and she stunk. I put her on Lamb & Rice for about six weeks and she came good. She was fed Nutro Lamb & Rice the rest of her life and we never had any problems. You may have already tried this solution but if you havnt its worth a try.

I have tried pretty much everything diet related that I can think of :cry: As he is getting older his skin is getting worse :shrug: Being pregnant at the moment I am noticing the smell even more! Ick! Unfortunately it makes me not want to spend much time with him.

Years ago I had GSD and he had terrible skin problems and it smelt awful. Was at the vets continually and they kept giving me stuff to bath him with. I eventually stopped bathing him and guess what. His skin problems cleared up. He never had a bath in the final 3 years of his life and only ever smelt when stressed.

I have a double coated Koolie who does not have a doggie smell - she gets bathed once a month and is fed home cooked food. Shedding, however, is another matter - she is getting her winter coat at the moment and there is fur everywhere.

I think it comes from the skin not being able to breathe properly when the coat is full of undercoat that needs grooming out.

Some dogs also start to smell very quickly after a bath if they are not dried thoroughly afterwards. The moisture retained in a heavy coat makes them pong again quickly.

The worst dog that I have ever smelt (that was not ill or injured) was a malamute than had a moudly coat.

Bacteria causes odour, so of course some breeds and individuals are going to be smellier than others.

Ask different breed owners how often they wash their dogs for one clue. It seems to be that poodles do get washed much more often than some other breeds have to be washed.

From my observations, it is the 'waterproof' breeds that have an oily coat that produce the most sebum, that oxidises with a very distinctive dog smell. Labs, beagles, GSD, etc tend to have this coat. The smell does build up on the dog and its environs depending on how much sebum the dog is producing.

Then you have the white dogs that are so prone to secondary yeast infections settling into sensitive irritated skin. Westies, and white dogs of some other breeds.

The more they smell the more they get washed, the more potential for bacteria overgrowth through improper drying of coat.

Give me a lovely clean greyhound, whippy, doby, weim, vizsla, or dane to hug. Even if it hasn't been washed in 6 months. Or maybe a spitz that gets brushed heaps but not washed as often. As long as those dogs are on a good diet, their coats stay fairly fresh.

Absolutely no doggy smell on greyhounds - and they only need a bath once a year - if that.

Yes my partner would actually love a greyhound, and I'm quite keen on them myself. Only thing is, one of the main reasons we would even be getting a second dog is so it can be a companion to our dobe. He is about 40kg and loves to chase and wrestle and play, and ideally we want a second dog who likes doing this too. Even though you sometimes see greyhounds who are quite muscly and strong looking, I worry that the dobe would accidentally hurt her with his paws. It's just he plays best and seems the most interested in other dogs similar to him, GSD and Belgian shepherds, rotties etc. Plus I've heard greyhounds can be real couch potatoes and always seem quite shy, though very sweet. Just yesterday we took our dobe for a 15km bike ride where he ran along side at about 20km/hr and then to a housewarming party where he turned out to be the life of the party. He seems to love our bushwalking and bike rides, and also enjoys being the center of attention in a large house party with lots of noise and people. Champagne corks exploding, strangers trying to hug him, little toddlers pulling on him - he just takes it all in his stride and is ever optimistic and opportunistic.

I love the whole sighthound family and would love one, but I just don't think it would fit in with our lifestyle and that wouldn't be fair :)

Edited by jacqui835

I'm sorry but my friend's greyhound smells awful. I honestly don't think she has ever washed it though.

So I wouldn't say there is any breed that can't get smelly.

But I agree, on the whole single coated, short hair breeds such as greys, danes, weims, whippets, dobes, gsps, viszlas etc can get away with minimal coat care for longer.

The worst dog that I have ever smelt (that was not ill or injured) was a malamute than had a moudly coat.

Bacteria causes odour, so of course some breeds and individuals are going to be smellier than others.

Ask different breed owners how often they wash their dogs for one clue. It seems to be that poodles do get washed much more often than some other breeds have to be washed.

From my observations, it is the 'waterproof' breeds that have an oily coat that produce the most sebum, that oxidises with a very distinctive dog smell. Labs, beagles, GSD, etc tend to have this coat. The smell does build up on the dog and its environs depending on how much sebum the dog is producing.

Then you have the white dogs that are so prone to secondary yeast infections settling into sensitive irritated skin. Westies, and white dogs of some other breeds.

The more they smell the more they get washed, the more potential for bacteria overgrowth through improper drying of coat.

Give me a lovely clean greyhound, whippy, doby, weim, vizsla, or dane to hug. Even if it hasn't been washed in 6 months. Or maybe a spitz that gets brushed heaps but not washed as often. As long as those dogs are on a good diet, their coats stay fairly fresh.

Very helpful post, thanks :) Dan will be overjoyed with that list of potential breeds lol but I'm starting to think the weim is definitely worth looking into. Sounds similar to a dobe but with a bit more of a hunting focus, but still a guard unlike the vizlas etc. Dan would love a dog that actually wanted to retrieve from time to time, because our dobe certainly has no interest...

Edited by jacqui835

Absolutely no doggy smell on greyhounds - and they only need a bath once a year - if that.

Yes my partner would actually love a greyhound, and I'm quite keen on them myself. Only thing is, one of the main reasons we would even be getting a second dog is so it can be a companion to our dobe. He is about 40kg and loves to chase and wrestle and play, and ideally we want a second dog who likes doing this too. Even though you sometimes see greyhounds who are quite muscly and strong looking, I worry that the dobe would accidentally hurt her with his paws. It's just he plays best and seems the most interested in other dogs similar to him, GSD and Belgian shepherds, rotties etc. Plus I've heard greyhounds can be real couch potatoes and always seem quite shy, though very sweet. Just yesterday we took our dobe for a 15km bike ride where he ran along side at about 20km/hr and then to a housewarming party where he turned out to be the life of the party. He seems to love our bushwalking and bike rides, and also enjoys being the center of attention in a large house party with lots of noise and people. Champagne corks exploding, strangers trying to hug him, little toddlers pulling on him - he just takes it all in his stride and is ever optimistic and opportunistic.

I love the whole sighthound family and would love one, but I just don't think it would fit in with our lifestyle and that wouldn't be fair :)

Your Doby sounds exactly like the sort of dog that Coconut would love to play with. She is a stocky girl over 30 kg and full of muscle. She loves chase-wrestle games, not the crash-tackle games like the heavier breeds (mastiffs, boxers, staffies, labs) tend to play.

The right greyhound could cope with the things you describe, champagne corks, toddlers and all. Except it does not have that stamina. You would have to get a little bike trailer for the greyhound to curl up in.

Me too, Jacqui.

I want to get a second dog in a year or so, was seriously thinking of a grey as I want to rescue and they seem like sweet dogs.

But realistically , I think there would be very few greys who would fit in with my lifestyle- they would have to play and keep up with my energetic 25kg lab (who likes her rough play and might bowl them over), be capable of doing a minimum of 3 hrs exercise a day (more on the weekends) and have a really reliable recall as I do alot of off leash exercise with my dog.

I think a GSP or weim would suit you though Jacqui, and be most capable of keeping up with your dobe! I haven't come across any overly smelly weims and GSPs and they tend to be pretty active, a lot are keen swimmers in my area too.

My two (Kelpie/Border Collie cross and Kelpie) seldom get baths but don't tend to smell doggy unless they get wet - then they smell very doggy. Hoover smells a little different to Elbie - if you take a good sniff, he smells like herbs for some reason. They're on the same diet.

They shed, which is a pain but their coats do stay nice and clean with limited brushing/furminating. Once Elbie rolled in dust as if he wanted to make himself into a chocolate truffle - by the time we got him home, though, the dust was all gone. :)