Some Breeds Less 'smelly' Than Others?

jacqui835

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like it is more of an individual dog thing.

Recently I was speaking to a friend who has three dogs and she was glad they don't smell 'doggy' as they spend most of their time inside and she hates doggy smelling homes. Unfortunately her house in fact does smell quite doggy! So I think that individual perception and sense of smell adds to the 'doggy smell'.

By the way, I don't say anything as it is her house and it isn't overpowering as such and her house is very clean. I am quite happy to go over and have a cuppa surrounded by three furries :)

My GSD has never had a doggy odour, and I dont think I have met one with a doggy odour.

I work in the pet industry and find that the smelliest breeds are those with short, single coats like Pointers, Staffords, Bulldogs, Bull Terriers etc.

These breeds always make me itch and leave my hands with a real dirty feel.

I also dont think many pet owners bother to bath these breeds as often as I wash my double coats because they are low maintanence which can add to the smell.

A lot of dogs are smelly because of the poor diets they are being fed as well.

Border Collies, Collies and Shelties have no doggy odour and neither do the smaller spitz breeds. I have owned a Lab and found that all dogs with that type of short dense double coat, so GSDs, Cattle Dogs, Corgis, etc, have the same dog odour. The Dobes I have met also have it and leave a smell on your hand after patting them (even straight after a bath) as do most short coated dogs unless the coat is really fine coat like a Greyhound or Whippet. The breeds I have most noticed a dog smell in the owners home are Goldies and Cavs. Most of the Gundogs and smaller Spaniels have a waterproof oil in the coat that smells.

What you feed can make a difference. Almost any breed fed on canned food seems to stink and a friend with a German Pincher mentioned that she can keep his dog odour at bay by using Missing Link supplement. For the breeds that don't really have an odour, it doesn't seem to matter if they have dry food or raw though.

Thanks guys, this thread has been really interesting and helpful. Gosh Dan would just about think he'd died and gone to heaven if I said I wanted a Great Dane, but whilst I think they're beautiful, I don't think I could handle the short lifespan. Additionally, all the ones I've met haven't been prolific droolers, but there's definitely more there than what you have on a dobe (which is pretty much none - only time I've seen him drool was when he ate weedkiller). If one of our dogs needs at least an hour of intense physical exercise a day (and several hours of intense loving lol), we may as well get another that's similar so that we can get maximum happiness with the time we have.

Everyone seems to have different ideas about which breed/diet is worst for odour, so seems like it might actually be more dependent on the individual dogs. Whatever breed we decide on, I think meeting the parents will be key...

I think a GSP, Weim, or Pointer may be more up your alley.

A friend of mine breeds GSP's and I have never noticed doggy smell on her dogs. They are ebergetic and can handle similar exercise to a Dobe, if not more.

Seems like it is more of an individual dog thing.

Recently I was speaking to a friend who has three dogs and she was glad they don't smell 'doggy' as they spend most of their time inside and she hates doggy smelling homes. Unfortunately her house in fact does smell quite doggy! So I think that individual perception and sense of smell adds to the 'doggy smell'.

By the way, I don't say anything as it is her house and it isn't overpowering as such and her house is very clean. I am quite happy to go over and have a cuppa surrounded by three furries :)

Yes I think we become immune to our own dogs smell. I live on a dairy farm and though I cant smell it anymore I know my house smells of cow stuff. I notice it when Ive had a holiday away and come back.

A wiem or a dane could really suit you if you want guarding.

Actually a Dane would not suit if you want a guard dog. Yes they are a physical deterrent but not especially known for being an effective guard dog. Would also not be a great choice as a companion dog as you would not run a Dane with an active breed until at least 12 months

I don't know, my childhood dog was a Miniature Poodle and one of the most vivid memories I have of her is that she stunk. :thumbsup: Not a rotten, unhealthy smell, just a really strong 'doggy' odour. She didn't have any ear or skin issues either.

My Border Collie, on the other hand, always smelt beautiful. :thumbsup: He never had a doggy smell and he was fed on high quality kibble. He did get bathed once a week though from memory. Or was that once a month? I can't remember. :thumbsup:

Have you condsidered a Ridgeback?

Probably not quite as energetic as a Dobe though if fit they will easily keep up, low shedding, still have the dominant personality, perhaps a little more independent and aloof than a Dobe though.

I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have a strong doggy odour either ...or maybe he does and no-one is game enough to tell me :thumbsup:

but the majority of Ridgies that I've met have little to no smell.

I feed my GSD raw and she has little to no odor. She barely ever gets bathed and people comment on how soft and shiney her coat is. The only time there is noticable odor is when she has had ear infections :thumbsup:

I have poodle types (a poodle x and a bichon) and no smell from them thank goodness - and no shedding either. I really notice the smells from other dogs these days - I have been spoilt.

But that can all change if Zamba gets hold of an egg from our chook yard. When she eats eggs, she just farts and it's awful. Or a dead sparrow. Oh God help us all when that happens... :thumbsup:

So I agree a smelly poodle is likely to be unclean (hence the oily feel of the coat), eating the wrong stuff (I feed a high quality kibble food and that works well for my two) or perhaps had some kind of health problem (skin or ears).

I think diet, in particular, makes a HUGE difference on how a dog smells. So much of the smell comes out of their digestive system - at one end or the other! If their food agrees with them, a poodle really shouldn't smell.

Yes the shed fur from a white dog shows up much more than a black dog's fur. I remember that from my younger days when I had a kelpie bull terrier cross - lovely dog but I was covered in white hair for years on end!

Do kelpies have double coats?

They should

the coats can differ also, my black and tan girl has a double coat which the under coat will come out when brushed but she tends to get pongy after a few weeks or so, but my black boy has a more wirey thin haired coat which is a magnet for dust and is a bad shedder but doesn't smell really.

wet dogs smell urgh :winner: in the car worst smell to be surrounded by haha

I find the black cocker spaniels to be the worst smelling dogs i have encountered over time, that they have a thick dense coat and when not groomed on a regular basis and there ears cleaned oh boy they stink!

Spitz breeds should be fairly odourless.

Yes they are provided the owner cares for the coat correctly.

My Samoyeds can go months without baths and they never smell.

Not drying the dog correctly would be the biggest mistake most owners make with a Spitz coat.

to be perfectly honest... i LOOOOOVEEE the doggy smell... (I know I'm weird)... my two gsd have this specific smell and I just adore it... it smells like love :laugh:

this is in my opinion. whenever I get into my car to go to work and I can smell the dogs smell in their I take a big whiff because it - believe it or not - calms me and makes me feel happy.

LOL im a bit loopy :cry:

I dont.. however... like wet-dog smell.