Some Breeds Less 'smelly' Than Others?

jacqui835

Living with a major shedder of cream fur- go the non shedders!!! :laugh:

My GR's fur drives me bonkers and I dream of the short hair of a Dobe, RR, Weim, Viz or GSP.

I also have yet to meet a smelly one of any of those breeds.

(my GR can start to get a bit smelly after a month without washing- I usually notice her fur feeling more oily when a bath is due)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living with a major shedder of cream fur- go the non shedders!!! :laugh:

My GR's fur drives me bonkers and I dream of the short hair of a Dobe, RR, Weim, Viz or GSP.

I also have yet to meet a smelly one of any of those breeds.

(my GR can start to get a bit smelly after a month without washing- I usually notice her fur feeling more oily when a bath is due)

Yes if it weren't for the fur factor, I would love a GR...

I'd start with a review of husbandry before writing any breed off as a stinker.

Look at diet, grooming, ears, flews, teeth, anal glands, bathing and bedding. In other words look to the owner first.

There are some breeds that due to coat type or oiliness may be more pungent but poodles generally ain't one of them. Indeed, there is a poodle skin conditon that is characterised by smelliness.

Fastest way to a stinky dog IMO is to feed canned food and keep it outside.

Edited by poodlefan

• 2 weeks later...

I Have allergies to most dogs ,but am ok with schnauzers an weimaraners.Reacted to a vizsla. Havent sniffed a doberman yet .Need to find a curly coated retriever as i read they are suited to some people with allergies. Google who's ya doggy? dog breed chooser for list of least smelly dogs. www.whosyadoggy.com/dog-breeds-without-doggy-odour.html

Edited by budgiew

My childhood Basset Hound smelt like corn chips, it was weird and stinky :thumbsup:

Our whippet, grey and cross breeds never smelt, except our Staffy x, but she had a skin issue as well.

Edited by Lillynix

to be perfectly honest... i LOOOOOVEEE the doggy smell... (I know I'm weird)... my two gsd have this specific smell and I just adore it... it smells like love :thumbsup:

this is in my opinion. whenever I get into my car to go to work and I can smell the dogs smell in their I take a big whiff because it - believe it or not - calms me and makes me feel happy.

LOL im a bit loopy :thumbsup:

I dont.. however... like wet-dog smell.

Completely agree, I know just what you mean. I love the way my dogs smell, both different but it is them. I dont think there stinky unless their wet.

I have two greys and a whippet, they don't smell, and they only get bathed about once a year. I have had quite a few foster greyhounds as well, and none of them have smelt. I've never met a smelly greyhound. And as greytmate said, it is not at all out of the realms of possibility to find a grey that would fit in with your lfestyle :thumbsup:

I thought this forum was for dog lovers :)

So you want a dog which does not bark, does not shed, does not smell and does not dare to be a dog

I suggest you get a toy dog - definitely less problems. One person even wrote that her dog's smell puts her off to the extent that she/he does not want to spend time with him . Poor doggy :)

Edited by nelsona

Spitz breeds should be fairly odourless.

Yes they are provided the owner cares for the coat correctly.

My Samoyeds can go months without baths and they never smell.

Not drying the dog correctly would be the biggest mistake most owners make with a Spitz coat.

Agreed. Get my girls wet and they stink, but I always make sure to dry them properly and keep them nicely groomed and they can go without baths for ages as long as they don't roll in something filthy or smelly.

So you want a dog which does not bark, does not shed, does not smell and does not dare to be a dog

I suggest you get a toy dog - definitely less problems. One person even wrote that her dog's smell puts her off to the extent that she/he does not want to spend time with him . Poor doggy :)

Also thinking WTF reading all this.

All living things have a smell. People can be one of the smelliest species, get on a crowded bus on a hot day :) last time I did, about 20 years ago, I got off & walked the 8 kilometres instead.

All dogs will have some kind of smell, even if you don't notice your own. Smell can be stronger due to health issues/teeth etc but generally you can expect a dog to smell like a dog, like a person smells like a person. You love them & the smell of them & don't have one if you don't like dog smell. Regular wash & brush helps too.

Their sense of smell is far superior & more sensitive than ours is. I sometimes wonder how they cope with the smells us humans create with all the chemicals used in our homes & weird cooking stuff.

My Maremma smell's like a sheep which i love, but if you dont like shedding then... :) not a good idea

None of my dogs (Bull Terriers and miniature Bullies) have a doggy smell, ive taken in rescue's who smell awful but after a couple of months they too have no real smell, must be their diet? My mum feeds her dogs Pal and pedigree and they stink something shocking

Edited by Bulldust

Guest english.ivy

My Pointer and Belgian Shepherd don't smell unless they have been rolling in dirt. Or if I don't dry the under coat of the Belgian.

Overall, they have no dog smell.

I met a lovely red/tan Dobe yesterday, wow-wee he STUNK!! I felt dirty after patting him. I personally think there is a diet reason behind why this pup smelt so bad but it isn't my business to question his owners. They loved him, clearly!

I like my dogs smell too- particularly her paws- they smell like corn chips!!!

I also like the doggy smell provided it isn't wet dog or "yeasty" smell that you can sometimes get when dogs are greasy and haven't been bathed in a long time.

Also thinking WTF reading all this.

All living things have a smell. People can be one of the smelliest species, get on a crowded bus on a hot day :) last time I did, about 20 years ago, I got off & walked the 8 kilometres instead.

All dogs will have some kind of smell, even if you don't notice your own. Smell can be stronger due to health issues/teeth etc but generally you can expect a dog to smell like a dog, like a person smells like a person. You love them & the smell of them & don't have one if you don't like dog smell. Regular wash & brush helps too.

Their sense of smell is far superior & more sensitive than ours is. I sometimes wonder how they cope with the smells us humans create with all the chemicals used in our homes & weird cooking stuff.

Sigh. I love the smell of my dog, he does many doggy things that I love (ie he 'dares' to be a dog) and he barks when he has good reason to, or we ask him to. I bury my face in his neck almost every day when I hug him because I love him very very much, and I think he smells beautiful. My problem is that not everyone likes the smell of dogs, and both partner and myself work in environments where smelling like a dog and being covered in fur would just be considered unprofessional and be detrimental to our performance. So we're really lucky with our current doberman that he doesn't smell or shed badly, and consequently, we can spend more time with him in the mornings before work etc. At least in the case of my partner (and potentially now for me too) with our training, there's not really anything else we could do, so we need to be successful in our current roles.

We are not wanting our dogs not to be dogs, we are just wanting to maximise how much time we can spend with them without negatively affecting our means for earning an income. I just thought this was a factor we should consider in choosing a new dog, same as you would consider energy levels, exercise requirements etc, so that the dog you bring home is well-suited to the environment you have on offer. Fortunately, I think plenty of people understand where we're coming from.

And yep, the worst smelling animal I've ever smelt was definitely a person, but I think you'll find that typically with malodorous people - it's not their fault nor intentional.

I think you have misunderstood the OP altogether. :)

Get a Boxer, they are clean like the dobes, and aren't the type of dog that will go and roll in things. They are "cat like clean" and have no doggy odour.

I think you need to stick to a short haired, single coated breed for the no doggy smell. Boxer, dobe, weim, GSP etc.

Spitz breeds have no smell when they are clean- but they stick when they are dirty!

I too have smelt that "poodle smell" that you are talking about :)

I grew up with many breeds of dogs and was not allergic to any However after a long illness in my late 30;s i became allergic to most dogs and chemicals . etc I found i was better with smooth coated breeds and got a bull terrier x wolfhound from a pound. We had her for 10 years, The only time she smelt was when she needed a bath and i would know if she was due for one cos my allergy would kick in. It has been 3 years since she died and i miss her very much, she was my constant companion.Now i would like another dog but i must be sure i'm not going to have a bad reaction.So have spent the last 2 years researching dog breeds sniff testing different dogs .So far for me i find smooth coated breeds and those with seasonal moderate shedding are better and male dogs seem to have a much stronger odour than females . I have found bull terriers mini schnauzers and weimaraners even a male one i tested with was good. Am looking for someone with a curly coated retriever to sniff as i heard they are low allergy but need to check for myself.Don;t think its fair that people say just don't get a dog i really like a dog for company .and i am tired of people when they roll there eyes when you say you are allergic like they do not believe you.Imagine feeling like your head is in a vice and your brain feels like it will explode your eyes water your chest feels heavy like you cant breath headache from hell .Thats what it feels like.So do i just go and get any dog and put up with these symptoms for 10 years or more. Or i can continue my search for one that may suit me? Here is a list of dogs that have least doggy smell.All dogs have some odour . Hear is a list of low odour dogs to cosider.Alaskan malamute-silky terrier- basenji- bichon frise -belgian shepherds-bolognese-boston terrier-bull terrier-chinese crested-coton de tulear-dalmation-italian greyhound-havanese-japanese spits-keeshound-lhasa apso-low chen-maltese-norwegian elkhound-papillon-phalene-pomeranian-poodles-samoyed-schnauzers-shetland sheepdog-husky-tibetan spaniel-yorkshire terrier.