Some Breeds Less 'smelly' Than Others?

jacqui835

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the dogs we get in at the kennels I definately wouldnt say malamutes are low odour.. maybe if they were bathed weekly.

They don't need to be bathed, they need to be groomed out just like any double coated breed.

I have a double coated breed which I bath, and groom out. I think it would get pretty smelly if it was never bathed. Maybe this is why most of the ones we get in at work tend to smell, the owners just don't bother.

I have a double coated breed which I bath, and groom out. I think it would get pretty smelly if it was never bathed. Maybe this is why most of the ones we get in at work tend to smell, the owners just don't bother.

I did not mean never bathed, but a double coated breed that is properly groomed out should not need frequent bathing, nor should many breeds.

I have two gsd,s who spend 80% of the time inside. The do not smell, I have had plenty of comments on that fact but my long coat sheds hair like crazy.

I have an all tile floor, with heaps of mats in winter.

I regularly brush them with a furminator to remove loose hair.

I totally agree with Poodlefan in that an outside dog stinks more and gets fleas. In fact I have proven that theory.

I have a friend with 2 Beagles, inside dogs mainly and they stink to high heaven! :)

Get a Boxer, they are clean like the dobes, and aren't the type of dog that will go and roll in things. They are "cat like clean" and have no doggy odour.

I think you need to stick to a short haired, single coated breed for the no doggy smell. Boxer, dobe, weim, GSP etc.

Spitz breeds have no smell when they are clean- but they stick when they are dirty!

I too have smelt that "poodle smell" that you are talking about :)

My sister had 2 boxers, they both stunk to high heaven!

I really think it is an individual thing, kind of like with people, some have a stronger odor than others.

My 5 dogs are all fed the same diet and they spend alot of times indoors, our yard has no dirt or muddy areas, just grass and concrete however they all have a different smell. One in particular gets a bit of doggy odor about him and needs to be washed once a fortnight to keep the smell away, the others can go longer than that without starting to smell.

I also like doggy smell :) it doesn't bother me at all, but I try to wash all the dogs fortnightly so when people come over the house doesn't reek of dog!

I haven't read through all of the posts but I grew up with GSD's and they always smelled doggy and dropped hair everywhere, if they rubbed past you (especially when wearing black) the hair would be stuck all over your clothes. I think they are a wonderful breed but I personally would never own one for these reasons.

We now have poodles (have had up to 7 at one time) and they don't have any doggy smell, poodles that smell usually have a problem with their ears, skin or teeth.

If you are looking for a compatible dog to have with a dobe have you considered a weimeraner (spelling?) I have met a few and they have all been clean beautiful dogs.

Guest RosieFT

One of the many things i love about my smooth fox terrier is that she has no doggy smell. I can pat her and stroke her without feeling like i need to go wash my hands due to stinky dog coat smell.

I have a friend with a Manchester terrier and my SIL with a smooth mini dachshund - neither of these give you that doggy smell after playing with them.

Admittedly, a bit small for what you are after LOL . But, IMHO, there are definitely dogs that smell doggy (like labs) and those that don't.

I think it also depends on where you live and what you do with your dogs.

We had spaniels growing up in the UK. I have just been back on a visit in winter and had forgotten the dogs get muddy EVERY day. Wellies are a must for people. Wet spaniel smells... well not great inside the house.

My mum commented when she first came to visit me in Australia (I have a short coated crossbreed) that my house had no doggy smell. But I also think that is to do with less rain, and the face I have hard floorboards as my nephews and nieces happily inform me that my car smells like dog!

I have an Australian Shepherd and while she does shed heaps, especially at the moment, I was only commenting the other day that her fur does not smell at all even though its been a few months since her last bath. Her feet on the other hand smell like cornchips, but then my feet don't smell great either. :)

Black Poodles have no smell at all, even when they have been out in the rain.

White Poodles STINK!!! Especially when wet, it's hard to describe but he gets this lanolin, oily sheep smell to him, it's bizarre.

Black Poodles have no smell at all, even when they have been out in the rain.

White Poodles STINK!!! Especially when wet, it's hard to describe but he gets this lanolin, oily sheep smell to him, it's bizarre.

Really :D :p

I groom some pretty stinky black ones.

We have four GSD's that live inside with us. Heaps of hair but the only one that smells is the male. The three girls are fine and none of them are bathed very regularly. The boy does tend to go out and lie in the water container quite often which I think is the problem with him. He is always wet.