Chocolate Labradors

Its probably to do with supply and demand.

The waiting list is long for a chocolate puppy.....

Guide Dogs Qld do a lot of their own breeding as well and probably dont have any chocolate dogs in their kennels either

Perhaps...although they do use dogs and bitches from breeding programs in other countries, so its not as though they are constantly breeding the same stock over and over, they could easily bring in the colour if they wanted it...unless of course the other breeding programs dont use chocolate either...

2 gorgeous chocs!

post-34861-1301830476_thumb.jpg

post-34861-1301830498_thumb.jpg

ETA: 9 months and 5 wks for above puppies :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Gorgeous and adorable hehe. Is Cadbury a fairly common name for a chocolate lab? My OH said if i got one he thinks i should name him coco :thumbsup:. I really want one now :thumbsup: its gonna be hard choosing my puppy when i eventually get one it will either be a GSD or Choc lab haha

2 gorgeous chocs!

ETA: 9 months and 5 wks for above puppies :D

:thumbsup: Gorgeous and adorable hehe. Is Cadbury a fairly common name for a chocolate lab? My OH said if i got one he thinks i should name him coco :thumbsup:. I really want one now :thumbsup: its gonna be hard choosing my puppy when i eventually get one it will either be a GSD or Choc lab haha

Yes! A lot of choc labs have very stereotypical names.

The 5 week old pup above is Coco!

I have also come across Lindt, Hershey, Milo etc. My choc baby (the one in the first pic) is Lyla :thumbsup: But, if you like the name, why not?

2 gorgeous chocs!

ETA: 9 months and 5 wks for above puppies :D

Yes! A lot of choc labs have very stereotypical names.

I have also come across Lindt, Hershey, Milo etc. My choc baby (the one in the first pic) is Lyla :thumbsup: But, if you like the name, why not?

Haha i dont think coco is the name i want but i like cadbury and milo :cry:

Must have been a mediocre breeder. I've had seven chocos. Not one of them had a pink nose at any time of year.

Choco's . . . at least in WA . . . are relatively scarce, and you're going to have to know someone to get pick. Prices are inflated, and some people are breeding dogs that shouldn't be bred to make $$$. If you want a Lab, you'll get a better yellow or black for the same money.

Before we got our dogs, I wanted a chocolate lab, just love the colour. But when we bought our house with a small backyard and stairs, I knew we would have to downsize, so got a Field (or two) instead with similar colouring, just a different name (liver not chocolate).

Interesting though, when I was calling breeders asking about their dog, one man told me that chocolate labs weren't the best pick due to the colouring of their nose and went on to tell me that they are more prone to skin cancer because of it. :winner:

Edited by sandgrubber

A good quality choc lab has a brown nose and not a pink or light colour nose

I picked mine up from the bargain bin :winner:

Nah in all seriousness, my choc is a rescue so more than likely BYB. Chocs are cute but I definitely prefer the yellows. I don't own a choc because I wanted a choc, I actually wanted another yellow puppy, but Millie needed a home so the rest is history :cheer:

I have also come across Lindt, Hershey, Milo etc. My choc baby (the one in the first pic) is Lyla :winner: But, if you like the name, why not?

We've got one called "Moose" and despite people saying "ohhh like chocolate mousse" and we are no as in he is 3/4 Canadian, so as in the animal :cheer: (We called his sister Maple... maple syrup, maple leaf....but when she went to her forever home they decided to call her Ruby.... to me, she'll always be Maple though)

We've had a Cadbury....RIP. A baby that didnt make it and so my kids wanted to name him before we buried him, so he was Cadbury.

Milo seems quite a popular name for chocs as well.

Before i got my dally i wanted a choc lab, in the uk the chocs are "squarer" looking, and shorter, i prefer then like that to pointy and leggy
I like to stockier labs haha but thats just me maybe thats why i like the choccy ones :laugh:

Colour has nothing to do with their shape. :winner: It's just a colour. I guess it might appear that way if a certain kennel breeds a certain type and they just happen to breed more of a certain colour, and that's a kennel you've looked at to give you that impression?

They are lovely dogs, but a number of guide dog organisations both in australia and internationally won't take them at all. For some reason they only take yellow and blacks.

I was surprised to see a choc guide dog around my area :cheer:

Before i got my dally i wanted a choc lab, in the uk the chocs are "squarer" looking, and shorter, i prefer then like that to pointy and leggy
I like to stockier labs haha but thats just me maybe thats why i like the choccy ones :eek:

Colour has nothing to do with their shape. :winner: It's just a colour. I guess it might appear that way if a certain kennel breeds a certain type and they just happen to breed more of a certain colour, and that's a kennel you've looked at to give you that impression?

They are lovely dogs, but a number of guide dog organisations both in australia and internationally won't take them at all. For some reason they only take yellow and blacks.

I was surprised to see a choc guide dog around my area :cheer:

Maybe its just the colour giving them that look or something :laugh: ive only seen the ones at the dog park with my friend so i wouldnt know where they got them from.

A good quality choc lab has a brown nose and not a pink or light colour nose

I picked mine up from the bargain bin :winner:

Nah in all seriousness, my choc is a rescue so more than likely BYB. Chocs are cute but I definitely prefer the yellows. I don't own a choc because I wanted a choc, I actually wanted another yellow puppy, but Millie needed a home so the rest is history :cheer:

Awww poor Millie. I think something happened to her nose at her previous home to make her nose peel like that.

A chocolate guide dog puppy used to occasionally turn up to James' puppy preschool classes so they are out there.

Personally, I'm all for blacks and yellows - really don't like brown on a lab.