A$$ Hole With Foxy In Spearwood

kels84

Unfortunately it's all the people in the past who have had their dog/s off lead that weren't under control in public gave dog owners a bad name, if these people hadn't ruined it for everyone, people like kels84 who have done the right thing and have their dogs under control on lead and off, could freely and responsibly walk their dogs off lead in public.

But the law is there so we have to stick with it.

How do people know that the dog is under kels84's effective control?

kels84 did not do the right thing they broke the law by having an unleashed dog in a leashed area.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it's all the people in the past who have had their dog/s off lead that weren't under control in public gave dog owners a bad name, if these people hadn't ruined it for everyone, people like kels84 who have done the right thing and have their dogs under control on lead and off, could freely and responsibly walk their dogs off lead in public.

kels84 did not do the right thing they broke the law by having an unleashed dog in a leashed area.

This is what bothers me. If someone is already breaking the law, why on earth would I assume them to be responsible owners with sufficient control of their animals?

Unfortunately it's all the people in the past who have had their dog/s off lead that weren't under control in public gave dog owners a bad name,

You're assuming that every dog attack is the fault of a bad owner. Even good owners have been unpleasantly suprised by unexpected behaviour from their own dogs. A good owner (in my opinion) wouldn't place their dogs in a position where they might harm another dog, simple as that.

Edited to bold the bit I meant.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

This is what bothers me. If someone is already breaking the law, why on earth would I assume them to be responsible owners with sufficient control of their animals?

Unfortunately it's all the people in the past who have had their dog/s off lead that weren't under control in public gave dog owners a bad name,

You're assuming that every dog attack is the fault of a bad owner. Even good owners have been unpleasantly suprised by unexpected behaviour from their own dogs. A good owner (in my opinion) wouldn't place their dogs in a position where they might harm another dog, simple as that.

Edited to bold the bit I meant.

Yes this is my view as well. I immediately see them as irresponsible dog owners with unruly dogs.

I know kels84 did the wrong thing by having the dog off lead as i said in my last post "But the law is there so we have to stick with it".

O.k because I don't know Kels84 rottie and it's their side of the story I will change my statement. I still agree that its all those people in the past that haven't had control of their dog off lead in a public area that ruined it for everyone. So if Kels84 is one of those responsible people who have control over their dog on lead and off, then they can blame it on those people in the past to why they cant have their dog off lead in public BUT if they are one of the irresponsible people who don't have control of their dog off lead but still has them off (before and after the law was put in place) then shame on them.

I realise that you may have control over a dog and there will be one or two instances where they will act out of character and do something unpredictable. I'm talking about the people who have no idea of what a dog under control looks like. Like for instance two dogs I used to look after that were SERVERLY dog aggressive, I mean would climb a 10 foot fence to purley kill a dog, they would nearly break the lead if it even heard a dog. The owner of these dogs thought he would be nice to his two dogs and let them have a run in a dog park, 3 dead dogs within literally minutes. The other dog came back to us to board and we were instructed by the owner to share him as he likes dogs!!!

I'm talking about these types of people not the people who have well trained dogs.

I think that's an objective view.

Edited by animalia

Right or wrong, if some idiot got up in my face like that, he would've copped a smack to the head at the least.

Then you could add assault to the list of laws you had broken.

Should you have done that to me I would have the police called quicker than you could have hit me.

It is not acceptable to condone nor advocate the use of violence.

Frankly, I can understand his reaction.

My dogs have been mounted, nipped, scratched and had their coats torn or damaged by off lead dogs and my dogs are at least large dogs (so I've never had to worry too much about them being seriously hurt by something bigger than them).

The excuse "But my dog is so well-behaved and would never hurt another dog" just doesn't cut it. In my experience, it's the "Oh, he's just playing, he's very friendly" dogs who run at my dogs, tail up high, hackles up and looking for a fight (all while the oblivious owner stands around yapping on the phone or otherwise ignoring warning behaviours).

If the law states dogs must be on lead (and this is the law in most areas), there's just no excuse to break it. If you can't see signage to indicate whether the area allows dogs off lead, assume it is not allowed.

There have been so many threads on here about dogs (both small and large) being hurt by off lead dogs, I honestly can't believe anyone would try to defend something as irresponsible as breaking a very sensible law.

I totally agree. I have a small dog who could be very damaged by larger dogs and how do I know who has effective control over their dogs?

Off leash dogs are one of the reasons I don't like walking my dog.

Totally agree, I have a small breed too & this is one of the reasons I rarely walk our dogs of our 40 acre property..irresponsible owners with off leash dogs in on leash areas really annoy me. :laugh:

This person may of been over the top, but I too would have been upset if your off leash Rotti had of come near one of my Aussie terriers...I mean how am I suppose to know that your dog is non agressive?

Having said that I also think owners of small dogs that walk their dogs off leash in on leash areas are irresponsible too.

Edited by Baileys mum

I do agree in some way that maybe you should have had your dog on lead but then i disgree too in a way. I walk my Shelley mainly all off lead walking she isn't walking beside me she walks up front a bit but i still have great control over her, One whistle or call of her name and she is back with me even if there is another dog around. But if i see another dog i call Shelley put her in heel say ignore but have my hand gently on her collar. I only let Shelley greet the other dog if the owners ask or say its ok. I find most of the people who complain about offlead dogs around here are the ones that can't control there dogs. There are no signs here stating if the dogs have to be onlead or off, I had Shelley offlead and was passed by police who didn't care, They have said how well behaved she is and how much control i had over her was amazing, They even said they wished all owners had there dogs under control like my Shelley was.

Also i find jack russells and fox terriers horrible little dogs no offense to people who own them but i haven't meet a nice one yet, All the ones i have meet have been very bossy and dominate to other dogs. Ny Shelley hates jack russels and fox terriers cause there the breeds who bully her the most, they bark in her ears which annoy her and they also snap at her too. So when i see these breeds i avoid them.

I do agree in some way that maybe you should have had your dog on lead but then i disgree too in a way. I walk my Shelley mainly all off lead walking she isn't walking beside me she walks up front a bit but i still have great control over her, One whistle or call of her name and she is back with me even if there is another dog around. But if i see another dog i call Shelley put her in heel say ignore but have my hand gently on her collar. I only let Shelley greet the other dog if the owners ask or say its ok. I find most of the people who complain about offlead dogs around here are the ones that can't control there dogs. There are no signs here stating if the dogs have to be onlead or off, I had Shelley offlead and was passed by police who didn't care, They have said how well behaved she is and how much control i had over her was amazing, They even said they wished all owners had there dogs under control like my Shelley was.

Also i find jack russells and fox terriers horrible little dogs no offense to people who own them but i haven't meet a nice one yet, All the ones i have meet have been very bossy and dominate to other dogs. Ny Shelley hates jack russels and fox terriers cause there the breeds who bully her the most, they bark in her ears which annoy her and they also snap at her too. So when i see these breeds i avoid them.

This is incredibly offensive. What happened to blame the deed not the breed?

You are breaking the law and you have been very lucky that up until now no one has reported you to council.

Goodness

I find most of the people who complain about offlead dogs around here are the ones that can't control there dogs. There are no signs here stating if the dogs have to be onlead or off, I had Shelley offlead and was passed by police who didn't care, They have said how well behaved she is and how much control i had over her was amazing, They even said they wished all owners had there dogs under control like my Shelley was.

My experience has been (not surprisingly) entirely the opposite. The people complaining are the ones who walk their dogs on lead and have to put up with their dogs being constantly harassed by someone's wandering, off lead "Precious".

There are no signs here stating if the dogs have to be onlead or off

In Launceston (I can't speak for other council areas but I assume most would have similar policies), your dog can only be off lead on private property or in an area signed as being off lead. If the area is not signed, you are expected to abide by the general rule that dogs be kept on lead.

Launceston City Council laws require that any dog taken into a public place such as a roadway, footway, park and a reserve must be kept on a leash at all times.
PEOPLE WHO WALK THEIR DOGS OFF LEASH IN A PUBLIC PLACE MAY ATTRACT A SUBSTANTIAL FINE

Boasting that you've broken the law and were complimented for it doesn't make your behaviour responsible. In ny opinion, it makes it even worse if you were aware you were breaking the law and continued to do it.

Edited for typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

I agree re the others re leash laws BUT there is absolutely no excuse for the man with the foxie to act in such an appalling and aggressive manner. Psychotic.

I agree with this.

Regarding signs, in my area the signs are very poor, you have to be local to actually know where dogs are allowed off lead and when as they have several areas. The division is not even logical, some rugged, bushy areas are on leash while a sports field is an offleash area?!

I don't think yelling and swearing is an appropriate thing to do and I am appalled that some people think it is acceptable. If I see an off leash dog I usually just tell the owner that the dog is meant to be on leash and to be careful because the rangers check the area pretty often (this is not strictly true :laugh: ).

If the off leash dog runs toward you or appears out of control, than a bit of yelling is ok, but that wasn't the situation in this case. Clearly the guy wasn't scared, otherwise he wouldn't have walked up to the so called aggressive and out of control dog with his dog.

Exactly Aussielover... I only walk my Siberian in on leash places because he doesn't like strange dogs getting up in his face, so I totally understand the stress of seeing an off leash dog in an on leash area. However, I would never get in someone's face and start screaming aggressively at them over having their dogs off leash and I am appalled that people think it is even remotely acceptable.

To prevent people having negative reactions towards you, whether verbally or physically, walk your dog on a lead and there won't be an issue. Even if you don't believe in the current law or if you believe that you have your dog under your full control, the laws the law and we have abide by them or there will be consequences.

Whilst I don't agree with some leash laws I abide by them.

I don't have a small breed, but I dohave a breed who can easily be severly damaged with one bite. I have had off lead dogs bowl straight up to them with a dominant stance and the owners were like oh he only wants to play. He was easily three times the size of mine and as he was trying to T-bone my on lead dogs they could have been badly damaged. Luckily I managed to grab the dogs collar in one hand and apart from a sore wrist all was fine.

I do not know that the person who has the dog off lead has any form of control and I have to say 98% of off lead dogs I see are not controlled. Last one was a small JR who ran into my dogs faces (they were on lead) they didn't react so she launched herself anyway. One decent growl from me and she turned tail - luckily for her owner as I know his name and he would have been reported.

It isn't hard, there are laws follow them, no you are not special, neither is your dog.

It isn't hard, there are laws follow them, no you are not special, neither is your dog.

QFT

As long as the "But my dog would never.." mentality persists, dog attacks caused by off lead dogs will continue to happen.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

I agree with having a dog on the lead, for their sake and for everyone's peace of mind. You just never know how your dog is going to react. Another thing to note is that if your dog/s get attacked and they on the lead, you at least are in the right and you have a stronger defence against someone who's not.

I'm talking about these types of people not the people who have well trained dogs.

To me it's irrelevant. People whose dogs would kill another given the opportunity are so far at the end of the spectrum that they don't even come into consideration in this kind of situation as it is an absolute given that they should never ever be allowed off leash under any circumstances. They are not the ones who ruin it for everyone, the ones who ruin it for everyone are the ones who don't respect the law, and don't respect other people's right to walk without being harassed or worried by other people's dogs.

This was completely uncalled for. Simply saying 'no offense to people who own them' is NEVER going to remove the offensiveness from such a comment. If I owned one of these breeds I'd have the serious Sh!ts on over this comment and would be extremely offended.

My experience has been (not surprisingly) entirely the opposite. The people complaining are the ones who walk their dogs on lead and have to put up with their dogs being constantly harassed by someone's wandering, off lead "Precious".

:laugh: Well said!

I don't think yelling and swearing is an appropriate thing to do and I am appalled that some people think it is acceptable.

Nobody has said that it is acceptable. Most of us agree that it was over the top and could have been handled better, but that he would not have felt a need for it if the law had been followed in the first place.

If the off leash dog runs toward you or appears out of control, than a bit of yelling is ok, but that wasn't the situation in this case. Clearly the guy wasn't scared, otherwise he wouldn't have walked up to the so called aggressive and out of control dog with his dog.

Were you there? Did you witness the situation? Did you ask the man how he felt? Clearly, you are in no position to make a call on whether the guy was scared or not - perhaps he had to walk past quite close to them to get home. :laugh:

i dont see the point in walking with your dog off leash if it walks perfectly anyway? why not just have the leash on its not like they weigh heaps :laugh: we have a massive dog park near our house like an acre of land fenced off :laugh: so thats where my friend goes with her dog to do off lead training etc so i dnt see the point. Put the lead of for the safety of your dog and others :laugh: but its good to know you are doing it from now on.

To me it's irrelevant. People whose dogs would kill another given the opportunity are so far at the end of the spectrum that they don't even come into consideration in this kind of situation as it is an absolute given that they should never ever be allowed off leash under any circumstances. They are not the ones who ruin it for everyone, the ones who ruin it for everyone are the ones who don't respect the law, and don't respect other people's right to walk without being harassed or worried by other people's dogs.

This was completely uncalled for. Simply saying 'no offense to people who own them' is NEVER going to remove the offensiveness from such a comment. If I owned one of these breeds I'd have the serious Sh!ts on over this comment and would be extremely offended.

:laugh: Well said!

I don't think yelling and swearing is an appropriate thing to do and I am appalled that some people think it is acceptable.

Nobody has said that it is acceptable. Most of us agree that it was over the top and could have been handled better, but that he would not have felt a need for it if the law had been followed in the first place.

Were you there? Did you witness the situation? Did you ask the man how he felt? Clearly, you are in no position to make a call on whether the guy was scared or not - perhaps he had to walk past quite close to them to get home. :laugh:

this guy came flying in my direction, as stated I had my grey x puppy on leash and rotti beside me as the guy came at us my rotti move out of the way because he has so often been bitten by smaller dogs and now gives them a very wide birth he's not scared of them but wise of there mannerism

while this guy was up in my face his foxy had a go at my pup who was on the lead !!!!

what im getting at is,ok I was wrong to assume that it was a leash free area and I should have put frank on the lead but you just don't carry your self the way this guy did

He was trying to intimidate me and i had to use every bit of self control not to end up in bigger trouble. To many people are angry in this world!!!!. He could have informed me and there would not have been a problem instead he carried on like a pork chop and things could have ended a lot worse.