A$$ Hole With Foxy In Spearwood

kels84

Not many sane people walk towards the object that scares them and aggressively confronts them.

I've been scared of off leash dogs before, dogs with a history of HA and DA, there is no way I would walk up to the owner and start abusing them. I actually value my own safety and the safety of my dog.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once when Kuges was set upon by a large black blur that hurtled suddenly out of the dusk, when the owner arrived, grabbed his dog and dragged it off Kuges I yelled and screamed and swore and abused him for having his dog off leash because yes I was scared, I hadn't seen it coming. Nothing the owner said was getting through until my BFF yelled my name and managed to get my attention long enough to explain that the owner was apologising and that his dog had broken it's chain, and that I should calm down and we should move on because the owner looked like he was starting to get angry with me for abusing him and she suspected if I continued that he'd let go of his dog's collar. Oops. :thumbsup: I managed to apologise for ranting and we moved on.

So yes, people yell, scream and swear when they are scared, whether it's warranted or not.

that would be so me as well :thumbsup:

This is a totally different situation where your dog was actually set upon. And totally understandable you would be upset.

maybe i shouldn't have said horrible, maybe i should of said not a breed i am fond of. I have had nothing but problems with jack russells and fox terriers but thats probably due to the owners not training them. There probably are good jack russells and fox terriers but i have yet to meet one.

There is no signs on ant oval or parks here saying my dog must be onlead, Most people who see Shelley offlead do not seem worried about her at all. Shelley doesn't even look at the other dogs she looks at me. If i kept Shelley onlead the whole walk i would have to walk 4 hours just so she had enough exercise, Where if she is let off lead she runs around and gets plenty of exercise for 40-60 minutes. Shelley doesn't go near roads and if she did i just got to say halt and she stops/sits and waits. There could be another dog across the road and Shelley will not move if the other dog aproached her she comes back to me. She won't even move if someone calls her. I love golden retrievers but i've seen some bad goldens out there due to the owners not training them or socializing them properly. So i know its not the breeds fault but the owners but i'm just not fond of little dogs much,I like the temperment of bigger dogs personally.

Everywhere is onlead unless there is a sign saying dogs can be offleash, it really isn't that hard.

People who flout the law need tO think of the impact their actions have on others. I have a little dog who has been abused. She hates dogs in her face. I only walk her in onleash areas but we always get harassed by offeash dogs. When I see one approaching (no matter how well behaved) it is VERY stressful for me- will the dog approach us? If it does, when Lucy snaps, will it retaliate? Could I fight this dog off?

Walking my dog should be a relaxing experience, but due to owners who think they are above the law, it is anything but.

How about a bit of compassion for your fellow human and put your dog on a leash

Once when Kuges was set upon by a large black blur that hurtled suddenly out of the dusk, when the owner arrived, grabbed his dog and dragged it off Kuges I yelled and screamed and swore and abused him for having his dog off leash because yes I was scared, I hadn't seen it coming. Nothing the owner said was getting through until my BFF yelled my name and managed to get my attention long enough to explain that the owner was apologising and that his dog had broken it's chain, and that I should calm down and we should move on because the owner looked like he was starting to get angry with me for abusing him and she suspected if I continued that he'd let go of his dog's collar. Oops. :thumbsup: I managed to apologise for ranting and we moved on.

So yes, people yell, scream and swear when they are scared, whether it's warranted or not.

that would be so me as well :thumbsup:

This is a totally different situation where your dog was actually set upon. And totally understandable you would be upset.

yes and if Iwalked around the corner and saw yet another off lead dog, I possibly would confront them very aggressively. I am aware of my faults, and the faults of other people and other dogs, so tend to not walk my dogs around the streets. I go to the greyhound slipping track but not many people can do that.

maybe i shouldn't have said horrible, maybe i should of said not a breed i am fond of. I have had nothing but problems with jack russells and fox terriers but thats probably due to the owners not training them. There probably are good jack russells and fox terriers but i have yet to meet one.

There is no signs on ant oval or parks here saying my dog must be onlead, Most people who see Shelley offlead do not seem worried about her at all. Shelley doesn't even look at the other dogs she looks at me. If i kept Shelley onlead the whole walk i would have to walk 4 hours just so she had enough exercise, Where if she is let off lead she runs around and gets plenty of exercise for 40-60 minutes. Shelley doesn't go near roads and if she did i just got to say halt and she stops/sits and waits. There could be another dog across the road and Shelley will not move if the other dog aproached her she comes back to me. She won't even move if someone calls her. I love golden retrievers but i've seen some bad goldens out there due to the owners not training them or socializing them properly. So i know its not the breeds fault but the owners but i'm just not fond of little dogs much,I like the temperment of bigger dogs personally.

Everywhere is onlead unless there is a sign saying dogs can be offleash, it really isn't that hard.

People who flout the law need tO think of the impact their actions have on others. I have a little dog who has been abused. She hates dogs in her face. I only walk her in onleash areas but we always get harassed by offeash dogs. When I see one approaching (no matter how well behaved) it is VERY stressful for me- will the dog approach us? If it does, when Lucy snaps, will it retaliate? Could I fight this dog off?

Walking my dog should be a relaxing experience, but due to owners who think they are above the law, it is anything but.

I totally agree.

I used to be naughty and walk my geriatric aussie off leash (not on the streets but on a walkway by the harbour- nowhere near cars). To me, it was so obvious that she would not hurt a fly, that she couldn't run or lunge or attack anyone if she wanted to but I was selfish and didn't think of what other people might think. Like what if they are scared of dogs, or had a bad experience. They are not to know my dog is harmless. Its such a minor thing- putting on her leash would take very little effort from me and possibly leave others feeling a lot more relaxed.

I walk my current dog on lead, unless in an offleash area.

I am pretty sure all of Victoria is on lead unless in a designated area.

I knew a very well trained dog who once, and once only, forgot his training. And ran out onto a road. Pity it cost him his life.

For me this is the crux of the matter. I would never forgive myself if this happened to me so I make sure it never will.

My dog never leaves my side, is well behaved, focuses on me and has amazing recall BUT she is never off leash unless it is an area that is fenced off and off leash is allowed and there are no other dogs around (because I do not trust their temperament).

It only takes a nano second for an accident to happen and a dog is a living thing sometimes driven by it's own motivations.

I will not ever put my dog at that level of risk because the ramifications are unthinkable for me.

Shelley doesn't even look at the other dogs she looks at me. If i kept Shelley onlead the whole walk i would have to walk 4 hours just so she had enough exercise, Where if she is let off lead she runs around and gets plenty of exercise for 40-60 minutes. Shelley doesn't go near roads and if she did i just got to say halt and she stops/sits and waits. There could be another dog across the road and Shelley will not move if the other dog aproached her she comes back to me. She won't even move if someone calls her.

Again, it reads as if you believe the laws don't apply to your dog because your dog is somehow special or better behaved than most. This simply isn't the case.

Not only is it irresponsible, it also reads as being more than a little arrogant. The same laws apply to your dog as they apply to everyone else, you are not above the law.

I do agree in some way that maybe you should have had your dog on lead but then i disgree too in a way. I walk my Shelley mainly all off lead walking she isn't walking beside me she walks up front a bit but i still have great control over her, One whistle or call of her name and she is back with me even if there is another dog around. But if i see another dog i call Shelley put her in heel say ignore but have my hand gently on her collar. I only let Shelley greet the other dog if the owners ask or say its ok. I find most of the people who complain about offlead dogs around here are the ones that can't control there dogs. There are no signs here stating if the dogs have to be onlead or off, I had Shelley offlead and was passed by police who didn't care, They have said how well behaved she is and how much control i had over her was amazing, They even said they wished all owners had there dogs under control like my Shelley was.

Also i find jack russells and fox terriers horrible little dogs no offense to people who own them but i haven't meet a nice one yet, All the ones i have meet have been very bossy and dominate to other dogs. Ny Shelley hates jack russels and fox terriers cause there the breeds who bully her the most, they bark in her ears which annoy her and they also snap at her too. So when i see these breeds i avoid them.

Well, I've taken offense. I have two very well behaved Fox Terriers and two JRTx. Your gross generalisation seriously shits me.

To top it off you are braggiing about walking your dog off leash and breaking the law. Good one. :thumbsup:

I would take offence too if I was a JRT or Fox terrier owner. I've met quite a few Foxie's & JRT's & they have been lovely well mannered little dogs.

I think it is really bad form to generalise them all as horrible dogs..especially on a Purebred dog forum, where we should be promoting our Pure breeds ..not bagging out a whole breed because you've met a couple you didn't like. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what your favourite breed is, but I'm sure it would offend you if someone came on here & said that your breed in general was horrible, dominant & bossy, just because they met a few they didn't like.

Im guessing too, that the generalisation of the breeds is "small, white and tan and maybe with some black patches" oooh it must be one of those dreaded Fox Terriers or a JRT...

Makes me feel like shit when I have both a Retriever and a JRT, both of mine are well trained and well behaved...Ive had a few bad experiences with Greys before, and mentioned that I wasnt fond of Greys a couple of times on this forum (not calling them horrid, just what I said, that I wasnt fond of the breed) nobody took offence to that, but I wasnt putting the breed down at all. Ive since met some gorgeous Greys and I certainly take back any previous thoughts Ive ever had about them

There is certainly a right way to say things...and i think thats the good thing about a forum...you can choose to re-read what you've typed before you hit that submit button :thumbsup:

Shelley doesn't even look at the other dogs she looks at me. If i kept Shelley onlead the whole walk i would have to walk 4 hours just so she had enough exercise, Where if she is let off lead she runs around and gets plenty of exercise for 40-60 minutes. Shelley doesn't go near roads and if she did i just got to say halt and she stops/sits and waits. There could be another dog across the road and Shelley will not move if the other dog aproached her she comes back to me. She won't even move if someone calls her.

Again, it reads as if you believe the laws don't apply to your dog because your dog is somehow special or better behaved than most. This simply isn't the case.

Not only is it irresponsible, it also reads as being more than a little arrogant. The same laws apply to your dog as they apply to everyone else, you are not above the law.

It sounds alot like a childs logic ( you know, just because they haven't hurt themselves yet by doing something dangerous they think they never will). There is always a first time for everything and the first time that your dog stops listening to you may be the last thing it ever does. Is it really worth it?

I have a DA dog and she has attacked small dogs (twice) in the past that have approached her (not aggressively, just run up to say hi). Without fail the owners of said dogs have always laid the blame at my dogs feet because she was the one that caused harm, they never once considered that their dog would never have been hurt if it had been on a lead on contained in it's yard.

I once was told that my Bull Terrier (RIP) should be PTS by a man whose SWF had just bolted from the front yard, crossed a main road and ignored the repeated attempts from the owner to call the dog back because I had to pick her up to stop her from killing his stupid dog. He thought it was so funny when I first picked her up because he though she was scared of his dog but when I snapped at him that I picked her up so she didn't eat his dog he went off the deep saying I 'shouldn't have a dog like that because it is dangerous'. She (BT) was NOT DA but I wasn't willing to take the risk that she wouldn't retalliate against the SWF.

I do agree in some way that maybe you should have had your dog on lead but then i disgree too in a way. I walk my Shelley mainly all off lead walking she isn't walking beside me she walks up front a bit but i still have great control over her, One whistle or call of her name and she is back with me even if there is another dog around. But if i see another dog i call Shelley put her in heel say ignore but have my hand gently on her collar. I only let Shelley greet the other dog if the owners ask or say its ok. I find most of the people who complain about offlead dogs around here are the ones that can't control there dogs. There are no signs here stating if the dogs have to be onlead or off, I had Shelley offlead and was passed by police who didn't care, They have said how well behaved she is and how much control i had over her was amazing, They even said they wished all owners had there dogs under control like my Shelley was.

Also i find jack russells and fox terriers horrible little dogs no offense to people who own them but i haven't meet a nice one yet, All the ones i have meet have been very bossy and dominate to other dogs. Ny Shelley hates jack russels and fox terriers cause there the breeds who bully her the most, they bark in her ears which annoy her and they also snap at her too. So when i see these breeds i avoid them.

Well, I've taken offense. I have two very well behaved Fox Terriers and two JRTx. Your gross generalisation seriously shits me.

To top it off you are braggiing about walking your dog off leash and breaking the law. Good one. :thumbsup:

My puppy is JRT x mini fox terrier, and he is very well behaved and obedient (despite going through puberty atm), he is friendly with strangers, has never lashed out aggressively towards any human or dog in his life, and when he sees other dogs he is always polite and friendly and just wants to play. He is not dominant with other dogs at all, in fact he is a bit of a pushover around my other dog.

The first time you know that your dog isn't a robot and the perfect dog may well be the day they go onto a road and are killed by a car. Too late then they are dead.

I have worked in the veterianry industry for 15 years and the amount of times I have heard - but he/she has never done that before is amazing.

I am completely frustrated by the fact people think the laws do not apply to them and their dog is somehow different from mine. They are not special and neither are you. I don't care how well you think your dog is behaved. Have it one leash in the on leash ares and off in the offleash areas - not hard!

I think you have actually offended a lot of people here. We all love our chosen breed/s and don't like to hear people call them "horrible dogs".

You may think your dog is under control but is it really worth risking her life just to prove a point? If she is so well behaved, how hard would it be to put a lead on her.

If i kept Shelley onlead the whole walk i would have to walk 4 hours just so she had enough exercise, Where if she is let off lead she runs around and gets plenty of exercise for 40-60 minutes.

So what you are saying is that you are too lazy to obey the law.

You have three alternatives that fall within the confines of the law:

1. Walk her for 40 minutes and then find some other activity you can do at home such as fetch so that she can self exercise while you simply throw the ball.

2. Walk her to an off leash area and let her run around there.

3. Drive her to an off leash area and let her run around there.

I'm not sure there are many dogs that need four hours of exercise per day on top of what they do themselves though. Perhaps you need to exercise her brain more than her body, or are feeding her too much.

I knew a very well trained dog who once, and once only, forgot his training. And ran out onto a road. Pity it cost him his life.

A very good point, it's a risk that's simply not worth taking.

Not many sane people walk towards the object that scares them and aggressively confronts them.

I've been scared of off leash dogs before, dogs with a history of HA and DA, there is no way I would walk up to the owner and start abusing them. I actually value my own safety and the safety of my dog.

So you are assuming that the man was of sound mind and assuming that he had an alternative route. There is a saying about assuming, and I always remember it before I make judgement calls.

You are so missing the point! You know the history because I just told it to you. Nobody knows this man's history so who are we to determine whether he had a right to be upset or not? My history was merely an example of people appearing angry when scared.

Nicely put Megan :thumbsup: I feel the same, even though Ella is 25 kilos and Kuges was around 40. The size of the dog doesn't make a difference, I don't want to have to deal with a fight, and I don't want my dog hurt.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by hortfurball

here we can have our dogs offlead at ovals and parks but the ovals and parks do not have fences artound them so does this mean i shouldn't let my dog offlead. Also if you have meet Shelley you would know she doesn't play fetch or self exercise when in the backyard. She will only exercise if taken to a park or oval. I'm not lazy at all, what I am saying is if people can't train there dogs proper recall and can't control them offlead what makes you think they can control them onlead, When and if a dog wants to go there going to try with all there power, Most people i see here can't even walk there maltese onlead without it pulling there arms off so to say.

Tell me this how much energy will a dog lose if been kept on lead the whol.e 40-60 minute not much at all cause they have to walk the same pace as there owner does. I don't really trust riding a bike and exercising my dog as that could be dangerous yet people on here do ride bikes and take there dogs. A dog will get more exercise at a park and oval offlead for 40-60 minutes then they would onlead for the same ammount of time. Where i take Shelley isn't public its out bush where not many people walk so i think its safe to have her offlead, She is also offlead at the oval which some people go too. If people are there i go to a different part of the oval where the people aren't. Here they say a dog can be offlead if under effective control which i reckon my dog is under control. I do not allow her to go up to strange dogs or people i understand somepeople do not like dogs going up to them or there dogs. This is why i have trained Shelley to return to me/heel and i also tell her ignore which she obeys 99% of the time. But like i said i also place my hand under her collar so if she did decide to run she couldn't. I wouldn't call myself a bad owner i'm far from it i always clean up after my dog,make sure she doesn't get into peoples or other dogs faces. So i would say i'm quite responable owner. I don't like my dog to be confined to a lead the whole time we go for a walk they desarve some time to run around,play and smell things. I find children more dangerous then i do dogs. Also people around here allow there dogs to roam the streets which i find is totally wrong my dog doesn't wander the streets at all. If you knew my dog and myself you would understand how much time and commitment I have towards Shelley. Shelley looks to me for everything beofre she does anything eg go up to people or other dogs,take food from other people etc she waits for my Ok to do so. Shelley even looks both ways before crossing a road which i took the time to train her. Sorry for wanting to give my dog some freedom outside the backyard,even when the dog is in the backyard there are still dangers so it maybe best to confine them to a foam room for safety.

I have a little dog who has been abused. She hates dogs in her face. I only walk her in onleash areas but we always get harassed by offeash dogs. When I see one approaching (no matter how well behaved) it is VERY stressful for me- will the dog approach us? If it does, when Lucy snaps, will it retaliate? Could I fight this dog off?
This sums up everything I have tried to say about my dog and offlead dogs. I have a breed known for being dog aggressive. Sure, he is a little guy and not one of the cliched " big bad breeds" but he could be a nasty little beast if I let him. The amount of people with off lead dogs that rush up to mine trailing an owner who says "its ok, he is friendly..." My dog has never attacked a dog before but damn he would like to! Only reason he hasnt is that I am aware of him and try to avoid any conflict. Guess what? after years of it I get angry and defensive as soon as I see an off lead dog. It becomes second nature to defend your dogs reputation from those who cant care less about their dogs.

here we can have our dogs offlead at ovals and parks but the ovals and parks do not have fences artound them so does this mean i shouldn't let my dog offlead. Also if you have meet Shelley you would know she doesn't play fetch or self exercise when in the backyard. She will only exercise if taken to a park or oval. I'm not lazy at all, what I am saying is if people can't train there dogs proper recall and can't control them offlead what makes you think they can control them onlead, When and if a dog wants to go there going to try with all there power, Most people i see here can't even walk there maltese onlead without it pulling there arms off so to say.

You're just making excuses because you think you're above the Law. If it's not a designated offleash area, keep your dog on lead - it's not bloody rocket science. No offence.

You're just making excuses because you think you're above the Law. If it's not a designated offleash area, keep your dog on lead - it's not bloody rocket science. No offence.

Where is that like button when you need it?

Shelley what everyone is trying to tell you, is that while you might think you have the worlds best behaved dog, she isnt perfect, there is a law in place to keep everyone in line, that law states that dogs must be kept on lead at all times it is away from its property unless its a designated off leash area designated areas are signed to say you can have your dog off lead, they dont need signs to say that your dog must be on lead anywhere else because quite frankly...its common sense, I actually read your intro thread after it was posted on here...Im shocked to find you're 26 because you have always come across like a teenager to me

What people are also trying to say is that it only takes ONE time for your dog to get distracted and see something really interesting across the road and bolt for it...but of course you're dog wouldnt do that because she is perfect right? so does that mean a new law should be written just for you and Shelley? ummmm no

this guy came flying in my direction, as stated I had my grey x puppy on leash and rotti beside me as the guy came at us my rotti move out of the way because he has so often been bitten by smaller dogs and now gives them a very wide birth he's not scared of them but wise of there mannerism

while this guy was up in my face his foxy had a go at my pup who was on the lead !!!!

what im getting at is,ok I was wrong to assume that it was a leash free area and I should have put frank on the lead but you just don't carry your self the way this guy did

He was trying to intimidate me and i had to use every bit of self control not to end up in bigger trouble. To many people are angry in this world!!!!. He could have informed me and there would not have been a problem instead he carried on like a pork chop and things could have ended a lot worse.

Stop making excuses. You were in the wrong by having your dog offlead. No matter the other person's reaction, you were at fault.

Totally agree. If I see a dog walking off lead, I either have to take a different route or turn back. There are times when I can't take my dogs to the oval to jog with them because there are off lead dogs running (this is an onlead oval). These dogs might be perfectly friendly and well-trained, but I don't know that. I should be able to take my onlead dogs to all onlead places without worrying about offlead dogs.

People who think they can walk/run their dogs offlead in onlead areas are actually stopping others from using these places.

People who think they can walk/run their dogs offlead in onlead areas are actually stopping others from using these places.

And then they'll be the first dog owners to whinge when Councils' crack down and tell all dog owners to bugger off to offlead parks or nothing at all. Gotta love the stupidity and short sightedness.

Edited by raz