A$$ Hole With Foxy In Spearwood

kels84

No champ, I'm not. How many assaults have you investigated and taken to court? Tell me how you'd prove beyond a reasonable doubt that in a one on one incident with no witnesses that it wasn't a case of self defence?

By cross examining you.

I'd be looking to prove that as a use of force trained police officer with training in non-violent conflict resolution that when yelled at by an old guy than you reacted in anger rather than fear for your safety.

I'd rate my chances.

For the upteenth time, I wouldn't strike anyone for simply verbally abusing me, which I've already clarified.

It wouldn't get to court. I've been cross examined by much smarter men and women than you and being an honest person, I've never had a drama.

So if someone comes up to you and you think they will assault you, or if you attempt to walk away you'll cop a whack to the back of the head, you'd do what exactly?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No champ, I'm not. How many assaults have you investigated and taken to court? Tell me how you'd prove beyond a reasonable doubt that in a one on one incident with no witnesses that it wasn't a case of self defence?

By cross examining you.

I'd be looking to prove that as a use of force trained police officer with training in non-violent conflict resolution that when yelled at by an old guy than you reacted in anger rather than fear for your safety.

I'd rate my chances.

x2.

Given the circumstances where a person has the ability to leave a scene but chooses to assault a person instead they would never be able to use self defense as a reason that has indeed been the case in the past in several cases

I agree too. If the person has the ability to leave. I'm talking about a situation where this is not the case.

By cross examining you.

I'd rate my chances.

For the upteenth time, I wouldn't strike anyone for simply verbally abusing me, which I've already clarified.

It wouldn't get to court. I've been cross examined by much smarter men and women than you and being an honest person, I've never had a drama.

So if someone comes up to you and you think they will assault you, or if you attempt to walk away you'll cop a whack to the back of the head, you'd do what exactly?

Assumptions much? You are new here and have no idea who you are speaking to nor what our backgrounds are.

You are back peddling at 100 kpm's an hour

I agree too. If the person has the ability to leave. I'm talking about a situation where this is not the case.

No you werent. Your first post was in response to the OP who was discussing a rude man who verbally abused her and you said this

Right or wrong, if some idiot got up in my face like that, he would've copped a smack to the head at the least.

By cross examining you.

I'd rate my chances.

x2.

Given the circumstances where a person has the ability to leave a scene but chooses to assault a person instead they would never be able to use self defense as a reason that has indeed been the case in the past in several cases

What a joke talk about changing things to suit your position...

Very interesting discussion but can we take the "self defence" defence to a different topic please? If you're not referring to the the situation posted by the OP then it doesn't belong in here.

In reference to the OP, I'm glad you now know and will have your dog on the lead in future. If you had done this before, the incident you described would probably not have happened. Whilst I would never react the way this gentleman did, I simply WON'T take any chances that an illegally off-lead dog is going to behave ok (even if they are perfect).

Given that a lot of people share a similar viewpoint, it's incredibly selfish to flaunt the law with "but my dog is an angel" because it means that there is a reasonably sizeable group of dog owners who will be deprived of the use of public spaces. Where I used to live, I couldn't even get down the end of my street (about 5 houses) without someone's dog rushing out at mine.........I asked all the neighbours if they could please keep their dogs contained in their yard and got all the "but he's just being friends", etc - some of these dogs probably were but there was no way I was going to risk them being ok or my dogs being ok with them in their face or jumping all over them.

I am pretty sure all of Victoria is on lead unless in a designated area.

I knew a very well trained dog who once, and once only, forgot his training. And ran out onto a road. Pity it cost him his life.

THIS is exactly right. This is what pisses me off more than anything.

How will you feel when your perfectly trained dog reacts to something, as every living creature does at some point, and happens to step into the road. Someone is driving past and they hit your dog. Its dead. Your beloved companion you've spent years training, bonding with, looking after, is not DEAD because you're a F***ING IDIOT who walks your dog off leash.

Not only is your dog dead, what about the person driving the car who didn't have time to stop? They now have the guilt of killing your dog, because you're too much of a twat to put him on a lead!

And you might think I'm being dramatic or over reacting, because obviously your dog is different. Well listen to this,

A Sharpei I knew since he was a puppy used to come to my local dog park. My dog Rover grew up playing with Cooper. One day Cooper stopped coming, we didn't know why.

My mum ran into Coopers dad a few months later and asked him how was his dog going.

His dog was Dead because they always walked him offleash, and he had ran into the road for the first time in 2 years of offleash walking. It just happened to be a highway, he was hit by a car and died instantly.

All it takes is 1 chance, the 1 time something goes wrong will be your last.

May I ask what people think of the option of having your dogs on extenda leads as a solution for people who want their dogs to be able to roam while on their walk?

I have a DA dog as a result of three attacks in six months, when she was seven months old. :( We deliberately avoid the areas where I know dogs roam from their properties. I also have a dog who loves everybody and everything, to the point of squeaking in anticipation of a greeting. To allow them the ability to sniff the area while walking, I walk them separately on an extenda lead (yep double the exercise for me). This means that should I see trouble approaching in the form of an other dog, whether on or off lead, I have the ability to get them close to me and under strict control. That way they remain safe and the other dogs/owners remain safe, and everybody can have an enjoyable walk.

May I ask what people think of the option of having your dogs on extenda leads as a solution for people who want their dogs to be able to roam while on their walk?

I have a DA dog as a result of three attacks in six months, when she was seven months old. :( We deliberately avoid the areas where I know dogs roam from their properties. I also have a dog who loves everybody and everything, to the point of squeaking in anticipation of a greeting. To allow them the ability to sniff the area while walking, I walk them separately on an extenda lead (yep double the exercise for me). This means that should I see trouble approaching in the form of an other dog, whether on or off lead, I have the ability to get them close to me and under strict control. That way they remain safe and the other dogs/owners remain safe, and everybody can have an enjoyable walk.

I do not like extenda leads....in my council area it is clearly stated everywhere that dogs must be on a leash of no more than 2 metres long so extending a leash longer than that is not allowable.

I do not believe extenda leads are safe after my dog (when she was a puppy) got spooked one day and took off, turned around a pole which whipped the lead out of my hand.

she ended up on the road and it was only because I had taught her to stop on an emergency word that saved her from being run over.

I never used an extenda lead after that.

I loathe extendable leads... I really think they are an accident waiting to happen.

Same here. I just wouldnt trust a dog on one.

May I ask why specifically you both don't like extenda leads? Would you have the same opinion if it was a long or tracking lead that the dog was walked on?

May I ask why specifically you both don't like extenda leads?

For me it's no doubt based on what I've seen in suburbia with little dogs on extenda leads who suddenly dart onto the road, and whenever I drive by one I'm really conscious it could happen right infront of me. I just dont like them and would never use one.

I have no problem with extander leads used properly. Have used one myself in the past. As it is with most things it all depends on the person actually operating the "whatever".

May I ask why specifically you both don't like extenda leads?

For me it's no doubt based on what I've seen in suburbia with little dogs on extenda leads who suddenly dart onto the road, and whenever I drive by one I'm really conscious it could happen right infront of me. I just dont like them and would never use one.

incorrect use of equipment, not the equipment itself

I loathe extendable leads... I really think they are an accident waiting to happen.

May I ask why specifically you both don't like extenda leads? Would you have the same opinion if it was a long or tracking lead that the dog was walked on?

Not in suburban areas or city. It's just too dangerous.

I have long leashes for my dog for training purposes but to use that we go to a big oval or park where it's open and clear and we aren't near cars, roads or anything like that. Basically there won't be a chance where it will get tangled or get caught on anything.

Guest Willow

The reason I don't like them is because a client of mine used one on their small dog. one day they were out walking as usual, and they were on a footpath. The little dog saw something & started to trot, so the owner clicked the locking mechanism on the handle. For some reason this day it failed and they were still holdong trhe end of the lead while their dog was under the wheel of a car :(

They told me all this years after the fact & still had trouble talking about it without choking up.

A tracking lead would be safer, as long as you can avoid geting tangled in it.

Bloody hell, Willow. That's just horrible. I have my foot on the brake if I see a dog on one because it's no different to a dog offlead. something can happen in a second. Poor dog - poor driver - poor owners. No one wins

Edited by raz

I have used extenda leads, but never for walking, as in walking down a foot path. I use them when travelling so my dog can trot around a little and go to the toilet. For lead walking I only use webbing leads.

If someone is going to abuse you....and you feel that threat is real, then smack them in the head...after that simply run away (you will have had to have knocked them out to insure a stealthy escape).

Back to reality, you don't try and defend yourself unless someone tries to hit you. Yelling doesn't amount to hitting. IF they try and hit you, then do what is reasonable to end the threat, note, that doesn't entail bashing the hell out of someone and then setting your protection trained (or attack?) dog on them British Gangster film style......