Choice Of Breed For A Six Year Old

Zug Zug

My sister has a close friend with a six year old son.

His Dad has just bought him a puppy for his birthday - a Bull Mastiff.

The idea is for the kid to train the dog. They are enrolled in puppy classes. Due to start in 3 weeks.

Honestly I could not think of a worse choice. Massive strong dog. Young boy who has never had a dog before. Father who doesn't even live there!

My sister has offered to help out with the training, but I really think they should return the pup while it is still cute and has a chance of a new home.

The mother doesn't want the dog, but feels she needs to keep it because it was a birthday present.

I have no idea who bred it. They obviously either didn't ask the right questions, or weren't given honest answers.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea is for the kid to train the dog. They are enrolled in puppy classes. Due to start in 3 weeks.

Honestly I could not think of a worse choice. Massive strong dog. Young boy who has never had a dog before. Father who doesn't even live there!

My sister has offered to help out with the training, but I really think they should return the pup while it is still cute and has a chance of a new home.

The mother doesn't want the dog, but feels she needs to keep it because it was a birthday present.

I have no idea who bred it. They obviously either didn't ask the right questions, or weren't given honest answers.

I feel terrible for that boy and that dog. Talk about setting up a dog to fail.

:thumbsup:

A six year old is not old enough or responsible enough to look after and train a dog by themselves- no matter what breed! They should be strongly urged to return the dog especially as the mother doesn't want it.

I teach dog obedience to beginners. I have made very clear to my sister that we would never let a 6 year old train a dog - they just can't wield the kind of authority that is required.

We do have a few 12 year olds etc., but to be honest they rarely have the patience and persistence required to train a dog. I always talk a lot to the parents and remind them they will be heavily involved in the training.

I don't know the mother. But yes I have said very clearly I think they should return it.

But they're apparently wanting to see how it goes. :thumbsup: I don't think it will go well.

Mum needs to tell Dad to take the dog back - you cannot expect someone to take on a pet if they do not want to and you cannot expect a 6year old to be able to control a large dog. She need not feel guilty if her son is upset, she need only tell him she understands he loves his puppy but that puppy has needs which can't be met at their house and so because we love puppy we will find him a home which is able to meet his needs.

If she thinks they might be a suitable home for some other breed of dog or some other pet then that is up for negotiation but no way in hell should they keep a dog if the primary person in charge does not want it.

Poodlefan I agree - I suspect the Dad really wanted the dog for himself. But he doesn't live with them, so even that theory doesn't really add up in my mind.

Could we be trying to apply too much logic? Perhaps the Dad is just an idiot.

Poodlefan I agree - I suspect the Dad really wanted the dog for himself. But he doesn't live with them, so even that theory doesn't really add up in my mind.

Dad doesn't live with them?

I bet Mum is thrilled NOT

I don't think this sounds like a recipe for longevity unless Mum steps up.

:thumbsup: Yep

If the mother doesn't want the dog it should be returned - regardless of breed.

Who will pay for the basic living costs associated with the dog? Vet care and food are not cheap for large breeds. Can they afford it? Or will the dog end up being resented because they "don't have time for it" "cant walk/train/handle/afford it" or "never wanted it anyway". Has the father considered this?

Dogs are for adults willing to put in the work, not children as far as I'm concerned.

What a dopey dad. Perhaps you could mention that when you canvassed this issue with a wide range of acquaintances, :winner: all of whom have some knowledge of dogs, there was unanimous agreement that it was a foolish and inappropriate purchase and the dog should be returned to the breeder.

I think the boy's mother shold take this initiative hersellf, regardless of the ex's views. The nerve of him. Very sad for the child but his father is clearly a short-sighted idiot.

Maybe Dad is hoping for an edge back into the family and by giving a dog which clearly will require him to assist in the training gives him the opening to spend more time back with the family. All wrong reasons still.