Red Beach Bribie Island

daisygirl

I have been taking my dogs to Red Beach for years and never had a problem. Recently in the last 3 years we have also started land sailing and a couple of times a year when the wind is right we use Red Beach at Bribie. This beach is only used when a southerly wind is blowing which generally means the beach is not very pleasant for swimming or beach activities anyway.

It has come to my attention that last weekend there was an incident between the dog owners and the land sailers. I wasnt there so it has been reported to me since I am both a sailer and a dog owner and we were up there yesterday.

It seems that the weekend before that the dog owners decided that the land sailers were not allowed to use the beach and therefore blockaded the beach by spacing themselves between the water line and the sand dunes. Every time a land sailer came down the beach they stepped in front of the land sailer to slow it down or make them stop and not get through. Note THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS PRACTICE. Land sailer do not have brakes and the sailers watch well ahead and plan their route according to the hazards. Should these hazards (ie people) suddenly jump in front of a land sailer you are risking damage to both yourself and the person sailing the blokart.

The blokart club has permission from the lord mayor to use this beach and should a complaint be lodged with the council I am sure that it will be the dog owners that will be banned before the land sailers or kite surfers. I dont know how many times yesterday I saw dogs doing poos that nobody bothered to pickup or just plain ignore the signs that state the off lead area is LEFT of the walkway and not right when you arrive onto the beach.

Luckily there were no incidences of clashes between the dog owners and land sailers yesterday and as a dog owner I certainly dont want to loose this beach as we had a ball yesterday with our two dogs as well as being able to sail.

So just a reminder to all dog owners that other people are allowed to use this beach whether it means they are riding a bike, a family without a dog or any other persons for whatever reason. Please be sensible and dont cause injury to yourselves, your dogs or other people just because you are trying to prove a point!!

Edited by daisygirl