I Have Sarbi Spit On My Hands!

YappyLittleDawg

I just had to come out of "invisible" mode here on DOL to say I have just met Sarbi, and she licked me!! (She didn't lick anyone else who was meeting her, but I used the "present-the-back-of-the-hand" introduction technique, and was rewarded with a Sarbi lick!!!!). And I got to pat her. I'M SO CHUFFED! :)

Working at the AWM does have its perks. :laugh:

http://www.awm.gov.au/blog/2011/03/23/sarb...n-war-memorial/

<H2 class=title>

Top dog honours for war hound Sarbi

Updated 56 minutes ago

r699854_5352227.jpgAwarded: Sarbi was found 14 months after she went missing at an isolated patrol base in Afghanistan. (AAP: Dan Himbrechts)

<script type=text/javascript>

• <LI class=story>
Related Story: Are war days over for bomb-sniffing rover? <LI class=story>Related Story: Sarbi home again after Afghan adventure
Photo Gallery: Sarbi returns to Australia

An explosives detection dog that spent more than a year missing in action in Afghanistan has received the RSPCA's purple cross award at the Australian War Memorial.

Sarbi served with Australian troops in Afghanistan but became separated from her handler during an attack in 2008.

War Memorial spokeswoman Carol Cartwright says it is only the second time the award has been honoured to an animal in war.

"The only two that are war-related are for Murphy, Simpson's donkey, and for all of the donkeys from World War I and now this one for Sarbi," she said.

"The award is an RSPCA award and it has gone to dogs that have saved people in house fires and heart attacks and things like that."

Ms Cartwright says Sarbi was found 14 months after she went missing at an isolated patrol base.

"An American saw an Afghan with this particular dog and thought 'that looks a bit like the Australian dog', so the microchip was tested and yes indeed it was Sarbi," she said.

</H2>

That's great. I was looking for the line "I will never wash my hand again" but you stopped short of that. The whole thing is amazing, even bringing Sarbi home - Australian doesn't have a great track record with war animals once they are "finished with", so this is really special as being part of a change of ethics.

I would love to know more about the fellow who cared for him for those 14 months. It's a big thing to take on a lost dog in a war-torn country and look after it, "became separated in an attack" is a massive terrifying event, not just running off because of fireworks. He is also deserving of a medal I think. Was there any follow-up or was the dog just grabbed back and left the poor guy for dead so to speak?

That's great. I was looking for the line "I will never wash my hand again" but you stopped short of that. The whole thing is amazing, even bringing Sarbi home - Australian doesn't have a great track record with war animals once they are "finished with", so this is really special as being part of a change of ethics.

I would love to know more about the fellow who cared for him for those 14 months. It's a big thing to take on a lost dog in a war-torn country and look after it, "became separated in an attack" is a massive terrifying event, not just running off because of fireworks. He is also deserving of a medal I think. Was there any follow-up or was the dog just grabbed back and left the poor guy for dead so to speak?

I was talking to Sarbi's handler, and apparently she was quite fat when returned to her unit. It is not altogether clear if she was indeed being looked after by local folk for the whole 14 months she was gone, or if she was just kind of scavenging for herself. An American soldier is credited with spotting her, and thinking she might belong to the Australians, but I have never heard if any local Afgan family was rewarded for looking after her.

And yes, I have been telling everyone I'm never going to wash my hand again. Well, at least not until after I get home and let my ancient, tootless terrier have a sniff of my hand - he might find it quite inspirational! :p

I would feel honoured to meet Ms Sarbi too. Well done YLD!

It's remarkable that she survived at all because life is such a struggle for most Afghans, especially with a war going on and dogs are not highly regarded - in fact are often considered vermin in remote areas. It's also not uncommon for dogs to be used for illegal dogfighting. The fact that Sarbi was found in relatively good condition walking alongside an Afghan man is testament to her exceptional training and character I would think. She clearly won some local fans.

What a remarkable dog.

The Army gets their dogs from public donation (surrendered - which Sarbi was along with her brother) they go to the rspca, pounds and through other rescue groups.

The only criteria they have is fit, under 2yrs (but over 12mths) and have a high ball drive. Occasionally they purchase dogs from customs, guide dogs etc.. but rarely as they don't have a huge budget.