Dog Talk With Relatives

Lollipup

1. Don't take your dogs to your parents place. Put them away when your Dad visits.

2. Just politely say " I don't want to talk about dogs with you Dad" when the subject comes up. Or agree with everything he says.

Trust me, this will drive him nuts. :(

Sounds like a man looking for an argument to me. And yes, my Dad does it too. Fortunately for me, dogs ain't the topic my Dad chooses to argue about.

I will try but you know how hard it can be to ignore stupid...

Funnily enough, although I have never met you but from reading your posts, I often imagine what it would be like to put you and him in a room together, bring up the subject and observe :p

Trust me, she'd win :rofl::):o

I'd put my money on the Poodlefan any day.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol from reading poodlefans posts and reading about what your dad is like I think it would be EXTREMELY entertaining to watch them to go at it. I would seriously pay to see it! Of course I would be backing poodlefan! LOL :o

Why am I suddenly hearing the theme from Rocky? :p

Its because you always have a very informed side to these posts - people respect and more importantly LISTEN to you.

:(:) ;)

Oh stop it, my ribs are hurting..

No that ain't true, she just persists until they give in, sit down and no make no further comment :rofl:

:)

He hates GSD based on his extensive knowledge of them (yet he didnt know what GSD stands for). Part of his reason is bad experiences he has seen/heard of. But the other part is because he believes they are not a breed - they are too closely related to the wolf and if you dont keep breeding back to the long haired ones, they start to revert back to the wolf genes and turn on you. none can be trusted, they will always turn on you and attack you. I know, ridiculous.

This complete unreliabiity around people is the reason the GSD is the dog of choice for police and security work and for guide dogs.

I mean its just luck if the police point the dogs in the right direction and get out of the way when they set them loose. :rofl:

Are you saying that GSD will always turn around and attack their owner? :p

He hates GSD based on his extensive knowledge of them (yet he didnt know what GSD stands for). Part of his reason is bad experiences he has seen/heard of. But the other part is because he believes they are not a breed - they are too closely related to the wolf and if you dont keep breeding back to the long haired ones, they start to revert back to the wolf genes and turn on you. none can be trusted, they will always turn on you and attack you. I know, ridiculous.

This complete unreliabiity around people is the reason the GSD is the dog of choice for police and security work and for guide dogs.

I mean its just luck if the police point the dogs in the right direction and get out of the way when they set them loose. :)

I'm being sarcastic. How on earth would any dog that unreliable get the pick for attack work. How on earth would you call it off???? :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

I mean its just luck if the police point the dogs in the right direction and get out of the way when they set them loose. :rofl:

Leela I think poodlefan meant to put that in sarcasm font

At first I thought that presenting him with irrefutible facts might be the way to go re the ACD and Kelpie (print out and present the ANKC or FCI international standard) for Australian Kelpie (click on EN alongside the name) and Australian Cattle Dog (down the bottom of the page).

Then to stir him up, mention that the stumpy tail cattle dog is a recognised separate breed in the ANKC as per this breed standard and that the Australian and international recognised colours for the Kelpie are black, black and tan, red, red and tan, fawn, chocolate, and smoke blue as per the breed standard.

Then there's the argument that why would Law Enforcement Officers breed, train and work with GSDs if they are so likely to turn on you. Why would these organisations waste so much money and put the lives of the officers in jeopardy every time they went to work. Why are GSDs used as Guide and Assistance dogs if they are so unstable?

Rethinking this idea, no matter how unargueable the facts are, if he is determined enough it will just give him fuel to continue arguing his case. I wonder why he sounds so determined to prove you wrong? It's a stab in the dark but could he be threatened by the knowledge you are gaining from the course as it would mean that something he used to be considered as being the Subject Matter Expert on, will no longer be the case and unintentionally you will have taken that role from him?

Letting him near your dog seems like it would be a bad idea as it sounds like he doesn't respect your rules about your dog. It will end up being detrimental for your dog and your training. If you can't leave your dog at home, can you put your dog in a travel crate when you are at your Dad's place? From your description, I think it could be that roughing up your dog has less to do with the dog and more to do with asserting his power and authority over you. If you don't give him the chance to do that, his behaviour can't be reinforced - sounds alot like dog training, doesn't it?

I have seen first hand how agreeing with everything that someone like your Dad says takes the wind completely out of their sails. Arguing is only effective if you have something to argue against! However, if you can get him in the same room as Poodlefan, I'll put $50 on Poodlefan - an experienced, qualified and knowledgeable debater and a worthy opponent!

sorry. I thought she was but I wasnt sure - you will get to know that I am the most gullible person on the planet. what you say to me is what I believe. lol

i apologise! :p

No need. I should have done the eye rolly emoticon. :rofl:

My Dad likes to push my buttons. Not only is he (like me) not afraid of a vigorous debate but I think its important to him that I still value and respect his opinion.

It can be hard to see a child growing up and seeing that you have feet of clay.

All jokes aside, asking him for advice about things you DO value his opinion on might defuse the situation. Dads need to be needed I think.

Sometimes arguing ain't what the argument's about.

Gee that was profound. :p

Dxenion I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. He likes to be in control and be the one who knows the most about any topic. If I studied anything else he would be the same. I think it does threaten him somehow but because I am younger, to him there is no way I could know more than him on anything. I don't try arguing with much else but dogs is my thing, my passion. Just wish he'd let me have this one thing.

He truly believes I am wasting my money on the course because I could just learn all I need to from him! Even if I quote something straight from the notes or one of the trainers he will have an answer for it or be like "well that's not always true because I have seen..."

sorry. I thought she was but I wasnt sure - you will get to know that I am the most gullible person on the planet. what you say to me is what I believe. lol

i apologise! :o

leela the sky isnt blue...its yellow :(:rofl:

as for this thread :) ...thats all i have to contribute really, can i just say how lucky i feel that both sides of my family do what i ask them regarding the training/playing with my dogs :p and i vote for the pink song too in the great debates theme :)

Edited by dandybrush

My Dad likes to push my buttons. Not only is he (like me) not afraid of a vigorous debate but I think its important to him that I still value and respect his opinion.

All jokes aside, asking him for advice about things you DO value his opinion on might defuse the situation. Dads need to be needed I think.

Very profound :rofl:

I see your point. Computers are his main thing so I always ask and listen to him on that kind of topic. He had a lot to say about a lot of things, I can deal with that. Just wish he would at least consider my views on at least one topic :)

Very profound :rofl:

I see your point. Computers are his main thing so I always ask and listen to him on that kind of topic. He had a lot to say about a lot of things, I can deal with that. Just wish he would at least consider my views on at least one topic :)

Who knows, in time he might.

Transitioning from a child/adult to adult/adult relationship with parents can take a while. I'm not sure we all manage it in the end.

Everybody has one. I could fill a whole thread with stupid things people have said. My BIL has come up with some doozies over the past couple of years.

Hence the reason the only people I discuss dogs with are knowledgeable dog people and children who will listen. Anyone else broaches the subject and I suddenly get the urge to pee :p

Who knows, in time he might.

Transitioning from a child/adult to adult/adult relationship with parents can take a while. I'm not sure we all manage it in the end.

Yeah I can tell he isn't managing that with me even though I have been out of the nest nearly 5 years and married for nearly 4.

Edited by Lollipup

Everybody has one. I could fill a whole thread with stupid things people have said. My BIL has come up with some doozies over the past couple of years.

Hence the reason the only people I discuss dogs with are knowledgeable dog people and children who will listen. Anyone else broaches the subject and I suddenly get the urge to pee :p

Too true, I could fill another thread with what other people say too! Not counting my dad. I need to find some of these dog knowledgable people in my area. I only know them on DOL or some who live far away. That is part of the problem because I am busting to talk about what I am learning but my friends and rellies either aren't interested or don't agree.

That is part of the problem because I am busting to talk about what I am learning but my friends and rellies either aren't interested or don't agree.

I feel your pain! However there a couple of people that now are very interested and we hash out training things and theories and training issues.

My Dad (family) has VERY different idea to me and they have a dog to have a dog, not to do training, agility or obedience. Having said that my dad's dogs are VERY well trained and easy to be around, just not in a formal sense.

Now I finally have a breed he likes so he agrees with me much more than he used to :p

All dogs above your knee are dangerous and should not be allowed!!-I kid you not!. Only working dogs (as in Kelpies etc) are real dogs and have earnt their right to be here! What about working dogs of other breeds that do things other than herd things?

You know my Dad was opinionated and loved a good debate, when we used to talk about dogs he used to say to me "where did you learn that, in a book?", "I know better because I have had decades working dogs on a farm and raising them from pups" so on and so on. I at that time had been working with dogs for years and also had under-taken an extensive 3 year full time course based on all types of animals including dogs, but the debates would still happen.

Looking back I used to get so frustrated at my Dad because there was no telling him otherwise.

It's been 4 long years since he passed, and what I would give to have one of those debates with my dad now.