Mass Desexing Now, Rspca

pandypam

Bloody hell,

This is about the killing of unwanted animals!!, extinct????, hello.

GOBSMACKED :eek:

sign or dont.

Can you answer the question on how this proposal will stop unwanted pets given unwanted means the pet is homed then disposed of?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The petition seems to be asking the RS to dig into their savings and run a large worthwhile desexing program.

Not force anyone to desex, or stop anyone breeding.

They have the funds, they really should be running more advertised voluntary neuter programs especially in the lower socioeconomic areas.

If this is what the proposal means then I am all for it. Trouble is the proposal is too vague.

The petition seems to be asking the RS to dig into their savings and run a large worthwhile desexing program.

They have the funds, they really should be running more advertised voluntary neuter programs especially in the lower socioeconomic areas.

This is what I see the petition asking for...

If it is a voluntary program then it won't stop the tide of unwanted pets

No but it might stop some.

AFAIK the advertised cheapcheap desex weeks in Sydney haven't been able to keep up with demand. If I can find an article I'll post it.

Bloody hell,

This is about the killing of unwanted animals!!, extinct????, hello.

GOBSMACKED :eek:

sign or dont.

If you want support, it might be a good idea to (calmly- no one here is having a go at you) explain what is being proposed and how you would like to see it implemented (for example, the context- are you talking shelter dogs, existing pets, breeders?).

I know I'm not alone in feeling that to sign something without being fully aware of the actual details or implications of signing is very unwise.

So.. if you could answer these questions, I'm sure others here would really appreciate the information.

What is the target group of this campaign? Is this going to be (as suggested by a few others) an initiative where pet owners can bring their animals in voluntarily for free desexing? Or are you suggesting all animals that go through the pound system are desexed? It's not made clear, from what I've read.

Assuming it's pet owners, would this desexing be voluntary? Anything else would involve legislation and I think we can all agree that the RSPCA should never be left to things like that.

I'm all for encouraging the RSPCA to actually use some of the money it collects to benefit animals but you really need to be clear about what you're asking for people to sign, especially when it involves that group and desexing.

I had my cat desexed through the RSPCA Auxilliary - cost me $40 + a little bit more for pain killers. They were awesome! I was at uni when I had to get Mow desexed and I wouldn't have had the money to get it done until much later. When it was offered to me, I jumped at the chance.

Last time i checked they do run a cheap desex program for cats. I cant remember the details but something like if you have a pension card or something. Very cheap. They may have stopped it now though its been a while.

I live in a county with 'mandatory' (with exceptions for breeders who register and provide annual vet clearance) desexing. It does help, especially because they have heavily subsidised spey/neuter programs. It'll cost me ~$30 to get my girl speyed.

I am all for desexing of pets. I think what we have to remember is that most of us here on DOL are responsible pet owners and don't allow our pets to breed will nilly because we are educated on being a responsible pet owner..

I think that desexing should be made cheaper for those that can not afford it as for them it is very simple to surrender unwanted kittens and pups to pounds and shelters and I agree that desexing animals would reduce the number of animals being euthanised every year, especially with regards to kittens..

So the pounds are empty and there are no unwanted puppies, kittens or adults ?

No cross breds etiher ?

I live in a county with 'mandatory' (with exceptions for breeders who register and provide annual vet clearance) desexing. It does help, especially because they have heavily subsidised spey/neuter programs. It'll cost me ~$30 to get my girl speyed.

I am all for desexing of pets. I think what we have to remember is that most of us here on DOL are responsible pet owners and don't allow our pets to breed will nilly because we are educated on being a responsible pet owner..

I think that desexing should be made cheaper for those that can not afford it as for them it is very simple to surrender unwanted kittens and pups to pounds and shelters and I agree that desexing animals would reduce the number of animals being euthanised every year, especially with regards to kittens..

Spot on powerlegs, I thought it was fairly clear, stop the killings of unwanted animals.

If that's what it is intended to be, then that is what needs to be clearly stated.

Spot on powerlegs, I thought it was fairly clear, stop the killings of unwanted animals.

I would suggest then that the message hasn't been clear enough as many of us thought the same way.

unwanted animals are unwanted animals - doesnt matter if they have testicles or not.

I cant open that fb page to see the petition by the way. Can you copy and paste? Ta.

DESEX NOW.

We in animal rescue are sick and tired of the never ending tide of unwanted/homeless pets.

We smaller groups are sick and tired of doing what the RSPCA should be doing.

The RSPCA is the prime animal welfare org in this country and its their job, in fact they exist to stop animal cruelty, if the killing of over ( well over some say) 250.000 dogs and cats each year isnt cruelty, then what is?.

The quickest way to cut the kill rates is to have a massive desexing program NOW.

With huge public donations each year, why isnt it being done NOW.

Tjhis is in no way directed at the many people who do the ground work for the RSPCA.

That's it Razzle, complete with typo

I do think cats are different from dogs. Undesexed cats left to roam seem to breed like, well rabbits. I think I am right in saying the average moggy is sexually mature by the time they are 4 months old. Can't be a great life for the cats or the many many kittens who never get a life at all. I don't see a need for a pet cat to be entire (not talking about cat fanciers/breeders here), leaving them open to diseases, more likely to fight, roam etc.

I'd support a mass desexing drive of pet cats.

Dogs are a different story in my book and I echo what others have said, it's less about overpopulation, more about lack of reponsibility on the part of owners.