Dog Howling

Hi everyone,

My Rottweiler has been howling a lot over the last few days.

He normally doesn't howl. He has howled randomly in the past, but never for a sustained period of time.

Why is he doing this? What should I do (did a search, general idea is to ignore it in case he is seeking attention, being an outdoor dog).

Thanks.

No.

Not to my knowledge...I guess maybe he is being exercised a little less due to the next point...but that's been the case for a while now.

He recently (month or two back now) suffered a muscle injury, he is still agile/fit but can pull up lame sometimes and is in the recovery process.

Gosh I have no idea but it would really concern me as my dogs never howl.....if one started howling the first thing I would think of was the dog is very distressed. Is he in pain? If not medical then psychological.... is he missing something, someone?

If he is not desexed, then is this howling typical behaviour of a dog with a strong drive to mate? (I don't know, worth looking into).

You could get a behviourist to come over and see what they think.

My first thought was that there may be a bitch in season somewhere................and the 'neighbourhoodpack' instincts are kicking in ..

My second thought was pain.

My third thought was senility... but that's probably not the case :D

I hope there is a bitch in season somewhere....and it isn't pain. We have lots of dogs in the area so bitch in season is a strong possibility.

But then i guess, so is pain as he is currently not 100% (but I'm positive the pain would have been worse in the past?). Also he is usually good with pain

and has a strong threshold for it.

Do you have any strange or new noises in the nieghbourhood???? Sirens or music or something weird like that???

I had an electronic timer go off in the house the other day and our ridgeback started howling at it!!!! Weird thing is shes never done it before :)

Is it possible there are new neighbours or a new business around that has something emitting a new high pitched sound that is setting him off?

Is he on his own outside? Dogs are pack animals.....perhaps he's lonely...I'd be howling too if I was on my own outside all day long :)

Is it possible there are new neighbours or a new business around that has something emitting a new high pitched sound that is setting him off?

Is he on his own outside? Dogs are pack animals.....perhaps he's lonely...I'd be howling too if I was on my own outside all day long :)

Just want to mention that I used to have one dog, many many years ago. Did not give it any thought. One day hubby thought of getting another dog, so they could keep each other company. Well, it gave our dog a new wonderful life, I'd never seen him happier and I would never ever have a single dog again, not unless it could be with me all day. But I also want to say, I am not having a go at you for having an outside single dog. Alot of people do....just food for thought, cos its true, it is possible he could be lonely.

Just want to mention that I used to have one dog, many many years ago. Did not give it any thought. One day hubby thought of getting another dog, so they could keep each other company. Well, it gave our dog a new wonderful life, I'd never seen him happier and I would never ever have a single dog again, not unless it could be with me all day. But I also want to say, I am not having a go at you for having an outside single dog. Alot of people do....just food for thought, cos its true, it is possible he could be lonely.

Single dogs do just fine on their own if treated appropriately i.e. like dogs. Dogs sleep a great portion of the time we are out anyway. Think about 'enrichment' and what you can do iin your yard to occupy him when he's awake.

Do you have any strange or new noises in the nieghbourhood???? Sirens or music or something weird like that???

I had an electronic timer go off in the house the other day and our ridgeback started howling at it!!!! Weird thing is shes never done it before :)

Yep, that's what I'd be wondering too - some new noise in the neighbourhood that's setting him off perhaps.

Bitch in season?

One of your neighbours installing one of those high pitched ultrasonic pest repellers?

An odd noise which he can hear but your eats are not picking up as it is far away? - sirens, music, horns, other dogs howling?

Anyone in your area taken up the bagpipes? That'll do it.

At what time of day is the howling occuring?

LOL... I can say this is actually true....given my heritage and propensity to listen to the pipes some dogs do not like them at all :)

LOL... I can say this is actually true....given my heritage and propensity to listen to the pipes some dogs do not like them at all :)

Someone started up near an agility trial in Sutherland some years back.. the sound of howling dogs soon drowned out the pipes! :laugh:

Someone started up near an agility trial in Sutherland some years back.. the sound of howling dogs soon drowned out the pipes! :laugh:

No idea why they would do that :laugh::( :( ;)

It is an acquired sound isn't it? Poor Aussie dogs having not been brought up with the sound probably think there is a dangerous wild beast around that we need warning about ;)