Vet Recommendations Please

Understand. I'm not a shift worker and I find it difficult too. The only way I manage it is to change my routine (mine was the same as yorus) give Mac his pill the moment I get up in the morning, then I shower and dress etc and feed them just before I leave. I then give him his pill again the moment I walk in the door from work and make them wait a half hour before dinner. Although I do understand how tricky that could be leaving very early or coming home late. :(

Lillysmum, suggest you give the Vivitonin a good whirl - it may take a while (weeks?) to kick in - and I think following the instructions is very important - a good half hour before food. Although Mac is also on the B/D I suspect the Vivitonin is helping quite a lot.

I also find that keeping him well stimulated really helps as well. If I have a really busy week and he doesn't get the attention he usually does he somehow doesn't seem as good. So I cart him around with me as much as I can - even to friends places but I'm not having incontinence problems with him. :(

The dosing half an hour before food is really difficult for me. I'm a shift worker so the dogs are fed when I get up and when I get home.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to make it even more complicated, my other dog has to have her epilepsy meds at 12 hour intervals and with food. :eek:

It's one step forward and two back with Lilly. She's still toileting inside, sometimes using towels (remembering her training) and sometimes not. She's mostly waking me during the night to go outside which is good, but I'm getting sleep deprivation which is bad for me given the job I do. :o

I'm really trying not to worry about it and if the worst symptom is using the house as a toilet it's not the end of the world really. I only want what's best for her. It's a tough thing to watch though. :o

You can complete a questionnaire HERE that may help you find out if Lilly is showing other signs of dementia.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it further.

Thanks for this link. I have suspected this for while with my old girl (12) and this seems to confirm it.

"scores between 50 and 80 indicate dogs with possible cogntive dysfunction.

Your dog is showing behaviours indicative of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction."

You can complete a questionnaire HERE that may help you find out if Lilly is showing other signs of dementia.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it further.

Thanks for this link. I have suspected this for while with my old girl (12) and this seems to confirm it.

"scores between 50 and 80 indicate dogs with possible cogntive dysfunction.

Your dog is showing behaviours indicative of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction."

No worries, just remember that it is important to get a vet check up to confirm this diagnosis as there are lots of diseases that can cause some or all of the symptoms asked about in this questionnaire. It is approximately 80% accurate in giving a positive diagnosis and almost 100% accurate in giving a negative diagnosis (dog doesn't have the disease). Early treatment is very important so a vet trip is good for that as well. Hope that helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

There's a real improvement!!!

I've done a few things which seem to be helping. I'm giving Lilly the bulk of her food in the morning (2/3) and a smaller meal at night. She eats BARF patties and fresh mince so it's got a high moisture content.

She's using towels during the day which is a clear improvement. And no more poop inside! :D

The only problem is the cost of the tablets but as I get her food for free I can manage the expense of the medication.

I'll make a follow-up time with the vet so we can review and continue the improvements.