Id Card To Match Microchip Details

Fleuri

I have been wondering for some time if there should be a better system that works in regards to making it easier for owners to be reunited with their stolen pets. This is what I thought of.

Why not make a type of card like a Medicare card that can be scanned and dog scanned to match details on Card at every vet visit? Card can possibly hold a brief medical history too.

In cases where pets are stolen the Microchip is useless. I am curious to know of others views; there may be something I haven’t considered.

What do you think about this? Pros and cons?

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

I have been wondering for some time if there should be a better system that works in regards to making it easier for owners to be reunited with their stolen pets. This is what I thought of.

Why not make a type of card like a Medicare card that can be scanned and dog scanned to match details on Card at every vet visit? Card can possibly hold a brief medical history too.

In cases where pets are stolen the Microchip is useless. I am curious to know of others views; there may be something I haven’t considered.

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

I think its a great idea, but I am guessing it would be impossible to police.....

Why do you expect Vets to be the police??

That is not their function.

Well I didn't necessary expect vets to police this. I would not have a clue who would be able to police this type of thing. You can't take a child to see a doctor with out medicare/ID so why should it be different with our pets that are members of our family?

Why do you expect Vets to be the police??

That is not their function.

Surely it is a vets function to make sure they are treating a dog where the owners consents to the treatment?

If the person bringing in the dog is not the owner then isn't that a risk for the vet?

If people keep their details up to date then a lost dog or cat should be easily reunited with their owner. It is all about people accepting responsibility for their pets.

Yes! I totaly agree with this, if whoever finds the dog takes it to the pound,vet or calls the local ranger but I was talking about when someone wants to keep your pet the last thing they will do is get it scanned.

There have also been cases where dogs have been found with two or three microchips in them...so what happend there?

I think its a wonderful idea. :p They should have cards to take them to the vet. It would also help to find dogs that have been stolen. Dogs are family members too. You can't always help if someone takes your dog from your yard. :(

Thank you in advance. :(

I'm confused as to what purpose the card has with regard to identifying the owner. The microchip holds the owners detaisl, the Vet only needs to scan the dog to see if the person presenting themselves as the owner is the same as the owner recorded on the computer.

Another query. What happens when the Vet scans the dog and the details do not match?

I like the idea of a card that holds medical records for the dog though, but not on the grounds of identifying ownership. With the way we are so mobile these days, having your dog's medical records in format like this would be brilliant.

Edited by ~Anne~

I'm confused as to what purpose the card has with regard to identifying the owner. The microchip holds the owners detaisl, the Vet only needs to scan the dog to see if the person presenting themselves as the owner is the same as the owner recorded on the computer.Another query. What happens when the Vet scans the dog and the details do not match?

I like the idea of a card that holds medical records for the dog though, but not on the grounds of identifying ownership. With the way we are so mobile these days, having your dog's medical records in format like this would be brilliant.

Hello,

As far as I know when a dog gets scanned only the Microchip number appears and it's only if the vet looks up that number on a register of some kind (may be time consuming) will they see the owners details like address and name,phone numbers. I think a card may be a faster and an extra assurance that dog and owner match.

I'm confused as to what purpose the card has with regard to identifying the owner. The microchip holds the owners detaisl, the Vet only needs to scan the dog to see if the person presenting themselves as the owner is the same as the owner recorded on the computer.Another query. What happens when the Vet scans the dog and the details do not match?

Hello,

As far as I know when a dog gets scanned only the Microchip number appears and it's only if the vet looks up that number on a register of some kind (may be time consuming) will they see the owners details like address and name,phone numbers. I think a card may be a faster and an extra assurance that dog and owner match.

There isn't yet any requirement for them to scan, but many do anyway. When they do scan the screen shows the owner's details to my knowledge (in NSW at any rate). Previously, vets could not access the database in such a way, but they can now.

Therfore, wouldn't it be that the simplest thing (at least for NSW) is to have Vet scan a dog when it comes in which deletes the need for an additional card?

Microchipping should be the same in all states.

I'm confused as to what purpose the card has with regard to identifying the owner. The microchip holds the owners detaisl, the Vet only needs to scan the dog to see if the person presenting themselves as the owner is the same as the owner recorded on the computer.

Another query. What happens when the Vet scans the dog and the details do not match?

All new animals are scanned, and we do ring CAR to make sure the details match up.

By the time the animal is scanned and the details don't match up, we have the new owner's name, numbers and residence so we refer it on to the appropriate authority.

It becomes a dangerous situation trying to with hold an animal that has been stolen when the thief is present. We are under no responsibility to place ourselves in a potentially bad situation and it's out of our jurisdiction anyway.

There have also been cases where dogs have been found with two or three microchips in them...so what happend there?

I've never heard of that. Do you have any references? I'm just curious. Ta.

I've never heard of that. Do you have any references? I'm just curious. Ta.

I was told this by a few shelters/vets.....they said microchips can move to another part of the body thus when they scann sometimes it can be missed and then they think the dog doesn't have a chip and then they Microchip again.

Hello,

There isn't yet any requirement for them to scan, but many do anyway. When they do scan the screen shows the owner's details to my knowledge (in NSW at any rate). Previously, vets could not access the database in such a way, but they can now.Therfore, wouldn't it be that the simplest thing (at least for NSW) is to have Vet scan a dog when it comes in which deletes the need for an additional card?

Microchipping should be the same in all states.

About a year ago a few vets that I called said that they don't scann as a routin unless someone brings in a stray and that there are alot of different registers/database it would be very time consuming going through each one. If it's like you say then thats great (I didn't know). Yes, I think Microchipping should be the same in all states too.