Help Me Find This Cruel Person Who Drowned The Kelpie Pups At The Sale

BMAK

It seems a shame that that so many otherwise beautiful, healthy and lovable dogs die this way but this is the selection process for many working dogs ... I would hope that they use humane and relatively painless methods to terminate the dogs but no one really monitors these things ...

It is the same for racing greyhounds, they breed litter after litter, and then the pups that are no good are culled... I don't know the figures but imagine it would be very high :laugh:

At least in the greyhound industry they have brought in laws about humane killing of the dogs, I have heard that there are still some trainers out there that don't follow the laws but hopefully most of them do.

I have two rescued greyhounds, Ryan was only 16 months old when dumped at a Sydney pound with 4 other young greyhounds, one can only assume that none of them were fast enough.

And my mum for most of her life had purebred, registered working kelpies, but her last kelpie was not purebred or registered, just one that she saved because Tess was no good as a worker and her owner was going to shoot her :D

Its how I got my first Kelpie. She was the last left and showing no signs of instinct and was headed for a bucket of water :D

It is very common out in the country. Those with orders will only keep enough pups to fill the order, and those who dont bother to desex their working dogs have a constant flow of puppies. It is certainly not ideal.

Hopefully drugs such as superlorine to castrate male dogs temporarily can be advertised more readily to stop this from happening.

I'm curious about those farmers who don't bother to desex - surely it would be more productive to have a spayed bitch who isn't constantly having to stop work toward the end of every pregnancy? Wouldn't it be more efficient if she never had to go through seasons/pregnancy/weaning pups/regaining condition?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious about those farmers who don't bother to desex - surely it would be more productive to have a spayed bitch who isn't constantly having to stop work toward the end of every pregnancy? Wouldn't it be more efficient if she never had to go through seasons/pregnancy/weaning pups/regaining condition?

Yep - I'm curious about this too.

Bonno is a lucky kelpie pup who was saved from being drowned to his death before his life had even started he is now looking for a forever home but this is his story..

Two kelpie pups were drowned at a sale/stock yard as they did not sell that day and bonno was going to be his third, because this person didn't want to take them back to tamworth.

Bonno was about to take his last breath before being hesitantly saved.

This man should be charged and put on goal for life and not allowed to touch animals again.

What this person did was not only wrong on so many level but animal cruelty at it's worst, two defenceless young pups.

The lady who saved bonno, does not wish to speak up to any one not even me or the rescue for reason i do not know o this is where my road ends...

so if anyone goes to these sale yards in NSW please help find who did this!!!!

If anyone works for a newspaper company please try to get Bonno's story printed to help raise awearness about Animal crulty right before our eyes, it may be too late to catch this man but i can only try and do what i feel is right but need support, one lady has already said she would help so would like to get this wagon rolling and try to find out who did this with the lady who saved bonnos life or not.

HELP ME FIND WHO DID THIS..

You want to start a campaign, conjure media reports

and you don't even know ıf the story ıs true or not?

Best to confirm the facts before you start rolling your vıgılante wagons into town.

My sister has a property out that way and I have to say that most farmers would consider what the guy did to be normal.

My sisters dogs are all well cared for, and have a good working life but in the country things are different.

My sisters farm is an hour out of town. If a dog need to be put down ...... most farmers would not take a dog to the vet in town.

I don't agree with it but its a reality. You need to remember on these farms they kill their own chooks for dinner.

They say the dogs won't work as well if spayed or neutered. :laugh: Which is a load of codswallop. We rehomed several desexed working dogs who are leading productive lives.

yes because rescue and myself made this horrific story up.. :laugh:

and anyone who would make up such a thing it would be just as selfish, and cruel.

The whole point of this is to find out as much information and to raise awearness that animal cruelty is happening right infront of us and atleast get some information on why somebody would do such a cold hearted thing.

With little or no information i don't think i will actually find this person so it wouldn't be a "witchhunt" but i can at least try to get some info, and with the lady who won't talk to anybody or carry further on it would be difficult to get the police involved if she won't help - she is intitled to that if she fears for her safety or if she attends regulary to these sale yards, but it just doesn't register that she wouldn't call the cops on such a horrific act to kill innocent animals which would have been the right thing to do after she got the pup or at least taken his rego down if he is from tamworth there is not much chance he would be down here often..

I Don't mean to sound rude and i sure wouldn't be posting stories like thisif i didn't think it was true and i know rescue wouldn't lie about such a act..

Well you do sound rude. And I never suggested that anyone had lied.

What I was pointing out is that at EVERY sale yard around the country you will find plenty of people with UTES and KELPIES.

And there is no shortage of them in the TAMWORTH area.

I am sure many of them are good people who are not involved in animal cruelty yet, you could find some nutcase who wants revenge over another matter, could use your scenario to cause a lot of unnecessary strife for innocent parties.

The person who saw what happened is the person who can take the matter further.

Inviting people on the internet to make allegations is not the way to go.

Souff

Persephone is right ... It's very sad but unfortunately working dogs are culled very, very regularly. If you read the Tony Parsons book, he even specifically praises one of the breeders for regular culling of dogs that are unsuitable for work. I'd like to think that if it happens it only takes place when the litters are very young for health reasons but if you take a look at the webpage for Riana (a well-known working Kelpie Stud), you'll see this line:
Dogs that do not head cleanly and properly are never retained or bred from in the Riana Kelpie Stud. We do not keep or distribute our culls, preferring to keep and only sell the best of our Kelpies.

A dog has to be a certain age before you know whether or not it can "head cleanly and properly" so presumably they are talking about young pups that are at least several months old. If they're not keeping or distributing culls, they must be terminating them. Some breeders will sell dogs that are unsuitable for work (but are otherwise healthy) as pets but it would seem that this is a practice that isn't really approved of and termination would be far more common. It seems a shame that that so many otherwise beautiful, healthy and lovable dogs die this way but this is the selection process for many working dogs ... I would hope that they use humane and relatively painless methods to terminate the dogs but no one really monitors these things ...

I don't know....they're not adding to the population of working dogs in inexperienced hands or undesexed dogs adding to the population later one.....

I don't have a problem with Breeders culling as long as done in a humane manner.

I don't either, you only have to look at the number of working dog types that are filling the pounds and shelters around the country to understand the choice not to add to it.

There are always soft hearted souls who put their hands up to take pups to "save" them, unfortunately not many are suitable homes for the dog.

Yep same answer as Rozzie. When we were running the rescue we often had true working kelpies come into the pound and, to be honest, rescuing them was often not an option - we couldn't put them into a working home as no-one would take them once they were desexed. There were a couple of working people (drovers and the like) who would come into the pound from time to time looking for a working dog and one of the local rangers would let farmers etc know when he picked up a good working dog - of course though they weren't desexed when they left the pound.

There is a local kelpie stud who rehomes some of their failed workers or breeding stock by surrendering them to Albury Dog Rescue - they're happy as they know that they leave us desexed so their lines can't be used by unknown people.

Reading all these knowledgeable posts makes me think that anyone who wants to work in the area of rescuing and rehoming working dogs needs to first spend a few years living and working where working dogs come from. I do not condone what allegedly happened to these pups at a saleyard, if in fact it happened, but I fully understand the need to cull. I have seen too many re-homing situations that were so not suited for an intelligent but very bored working dog that was doomed to be PTS at some stage. Rehoming working dogs is often just putting off the inevitable.

Souff

My family culled (working Kelpies) at birth. What we didn't want to keep or already have homes for were humanely disposed of immediately. Older pups/dogs who didn't work out were shot. In a farmers eyes it is cheaper to use a bullet than travel how many km's and pay a vet to do the same job. Dogs were tied to a tree with a bone and shot without a clue what was coming. For many farmers dogs are a tool, once a work tool starts to become expensive or cost a farmer money then it's no longer viable for them. We were considered 'soft' on our dogs as we didn't shoot dogs once they grew too old to work - they stayed with us until they died of natural causes out of respect for the work they did (they earned their keep). I still remember getting attached to the odd dog and coming home from boarding school holidays only to find the dog 'gone' :laugh: My brother had to shoot his own beloved Kelpie after 12 yrs, it was devastating for him - sadly he has never treated a dog too nicely ever since as I know it broke his heart. I don't condone it but life on the land is cruel and I think a lot of city folk just don't understand that, or as Persephone said they are a 'product of past generations' and don't know any different.

I think drowning is an awful way to dispose of a dog though - some farmers would honestly weigh up the cost of a bullet so it sounds like this his reasoning. Awful for pups to be drowned. :laugh:

I don't know....they're not adding to the population of working dogs in inexperienced hands or undesexed dogs adding to the population later one.....

I don't have a problem with Breeders culling as long as done in a humane manner.

I understand that breeders of working Kelpies need to cull - it just seems like it's not always done very humanely. Drowning would probably only be suitable for very young pups - my understanding was that a well-placed bullet would be the most humane and painless way to terminate the life of a 3 month old puppy if you're not going to take it to the vet. Some of the dogs would make lovely pets though, and as long as they were desexed I wouldn't see a problem if they were permitted to go into households. Even Tony Parsons wasn't totally against this idea of placing his Karrawarra working line Kelpies in pet homes if they weren't suitable for work.

Also, to the point about rescuing working dogs, while they can be difficult to place in ordinary homes, it should still be on a case by case basis ... As long as they're well-occupied and don't have temperament issues, there's no reason why such a dog can't be happy in the suburbs.

We rehomed loads of working breeds and I love them BUT there are some that are just too much of a working dog and they were very obvious in the pound environment. Trust me, in Albury, you could have a rescue group with loads of dogs in care but they would all be working breeds - they take a very long time to rehome in a rural environment, in fact most of our working breed puppies went to cities :) . Most country folk down this way will tell you that kelpies shouldn't live in a suburban backyard and they truly believe it.

Working dogs can have wonderful lives in non-working homes but those homes are VERY hard to come by.

I understand that breeders of working Kelpies need to cull - it just seems like it's not always done very humanely. Drowning would probably only be suitable for very young pups - my understanding was that a well-placed bullet would be the most humane and painless way to terminate the life of a 3 month old puppy if you're not going to take it to the vet. Some of the dogs would make lovely pets though, and as long as they were desexed I wouldn't see a problem if they were permitted to go into households. Even Tony Parsons wasn't totally against this idea of placing his Karrawarra working line Kelpies in pet homes if they weren't suitable for work.

Also, to the point about rescuing working dogs, while they can be difficult to place in ordinary homes, it should still be on a case by case basis ... As long as they're well-occupied and don't have temperament issues, there's no reason why such a dog can't be happy in the suburbs.

And again the RIGHT home, otherwise they simply become pound fodder.

Yes they can be excellent pets, but in the right hands.

My sister has a property out that way and I have to say that most farmers would consider what the guy did to be normal.

My sisters dogs are all well cared for, and have a good working life but in the country things are different.

My sisters farm is an hour out of town. If a dog need to be put down ...... most farmers would not take a dog to the vet in town.

I don't agree with it but its a reality. You need to remember on these farms they kill their own chooks for dinner.

i know what country folk are like, and the working dogs earn there place the fact of this situation it was done in the public eye the killing.

If he didn't want the dogs there were deffinatley other options available. To me he is another back yard breeder which i know a lot of counrty people are he shouldn't have had the pups in the first place without having homes available first.

if he wanted a pup out of the litter he should have got one from a reputable breeder with proven working lines.

This puppy was about to be drowned in public because he didn't want to take it back with him, what a pedi excuse, not because it didn't work because he was to lazy to deal with it the humain way.

any rescue that takes on a working breed or dog with working lines that are known are carefully rehomed, all working dogs i have had in my care were not going to be going to any old home i thoroughly examined each person and there qualities much like any breeder to find the best home they possible can for there breed.

it is just like that saying if you cannot afford the dog or the vet bills why have one.

i know what country folk are like, and the working dogs earn there place the fact of this situation it was done in the public eye the killing.

If he didn't want the dogs there were deffinatley other options available. To me he is another back yard breeder which i know a lot of counrty people are he shouldn't have had the pups in the first place without having homes available first.

if he wanted a pup out of the litter he should have got one from a reputable breeder with proven working lines.

This puppy was about to be drowned in public because he didn't want to take it back with him, what a pedi excuse, not because it didn't work because he was to lazy to deal with it the humain way.

fact is, you don't know if any of this is true

meanwhile its all okay to brandish ute drivers in tamworth?

Edited by lilli

I know what country folk are like, and the working dogs earn there place the fact of this situation it was done in the public eye the killing.

Catherine, I am sorry but you just don't seem to "get it".

You are talking about this killing/drowning as "fact" when you were not there to know for certain that this happened.

You have strong opinions about someone you have never met, and yet you only have hearsay on which to base your opinions.

There is a possibility that what you were told happened never happened at all.

These are allegations made by somebody else and passed on to you and others. With or without malice. And the person making the allegations wont go to the police.

True allegations? Or false allegations?

Do you see why it is all a little suss?

If pups were drowned in public at a sale yard then the NSW Police or the RSPCA should be interested in the matter! They are the people to contact.

No calls for information from the web, witchhunt style, NO, if there are facts to be told, tell them to the NSW Police or the RSPCA and let them do the investigating.

Believe it or not, that is what they are PAID to do.

Oh yes, by the way ...... many of us also "know" what country folk are like, in fact, many of us are indeed country folk.

Many of us and our rellies drive utes.

Many of us and our rellies have kelpies.

Many of us and our rellies go to saleyards.

And some of us and our rellies even live in the Tamworth area.

But we don't drown dogs at saleyards.

If the person with the rescued pup does not have the guts to provide registration numbers to the police, etc, then there is not a lot anyone can do, but that does not give you the right to point the finger at people from Tamworth generally.

Souff

I know what country folk are like, and the working dogs earn there place the fact of this situation it was done in the public eye the killing.

Catherine, I am sorry but you just don't seem to "get it".

You are talking about this killing/drowning as "fact" when you were not there to know for certain that this happened.

You have strong opinions about someone you have never met, and yet you only have hearsay on which to base your opinions.

There is a possibility that what you were told happened never happened at all.

These are allegations made by somebody else and passed on to you and others. With or without malice. And the person making the allegations wont go to the police.

True allegations? Or false allegations?

Do you see why it is all a little suss?

If pups were drowned in public at a sale yard then the NSW Police or the RSPCA should be interested in the matter! They are the people to contact.

No calls for information from the web, witchhunt style, NO, if there are facts to be told, tell them to the NSW Police or the RSPCA and let them do the investigating.

Believe it or not, that is what they are PAID to do.

Oh yes, by the way ...... many of us also "know" what country folk are like, in fact, many of us are indeed country folk.

Many of us and our rellies drive utes.

Many of us and our rellies have kelpies.

Many of us and our rellies go to saleyards.

And some of us and our rellies even live in the Tamworth area.

But we don't drown dogs at saleyards.

If the person with the rescued pup does not have the guts to provide registration numbers to the police, etc, then there is not a lot anyone can do, but that does not give you the right to point the finger at people from Tamworth generally.

Souff

:laugh::eek::thumbsup: ;) :) :p