Black Swan Killed In Local Park

I just don't get it! :) Here's hoping for the survival of male swan and the egg/s.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news...2-1226035937661

FOUR teens are set to be charged over the brutal killing of a swan as experts take her eggs for hatching.

The boys, all aged in their mid-teens, are all from the Moonee Ponds and Essendon areas.

A police spokeswoman said the teenagers were identified by witnesses and are in the process of being interviewed by police.

The swan was tortured and pelted with rocks in the shocking incident on Wednesday afternoon.

The nesting animal was found on a lake bank with an open wound to the head, before succumbing to its injuries.

A woman who arrived soon after the attack desperately tried to save the bird.

She held the bird's head above water, but the swan died in her arms.

News of the swan's suffering has caused outrage in the community and among animal activists.

The Melbourne Zoo has stepped in to house the swan's eggs, as the remaining black male swan has barely moved from the nest since his mate was killed at Moonee Pond's Queen's Park and it is feared he will starve himself to protect the eggs.

Moonee Valley City Council made the decision to transport the swan egg after consulting zoo experts.

Melbourne Zoo natural fauna curator Peter Courtney said the zoo has set up an incubator to house the egg to help the struggling male.

“It will try and ensure the survival of the young and we will raise it and we will release it back there once it is large enough to look after itself,” Mr Courtney said.

He said looking after the nest is normally a role shared by the two swans and the male on his own may not leave the nest for up to a week for fear the eggs could be in danger.

“The solitary animal needs to get off and feed … the longer they have to be away, the more chance there is of the eggs becoming chilled and the embryo dying,” Mr Courtney said.

Executive Manager Environment and Lifestyle, Scott Widdicombe, said the swan will be monitored as it attends the nest.

“At this stage we are not sure how long it will take for the swan to leave the nest,” Mr Widdicombe said.

“Council is extremely concerned that it may be detrimental to the male swan to try and take the egg prematurely.”

Mayor of Moonee Valley, Cr John Sipek, said he was pleased the zoo had offered their assistance for the delicate case.

“The amount of community support for the plight of this swan and its egg has been heart-warming,” Cr Sipek said.

“If the egg is still in condition and viable we are hopeful that the zoo will do all it can to help achieve a good outcome.”Cr Sipek said he still couldn't understand the attack.

Edited by LabTested

So very sad for the father swan. I live in the area, and like most people from the area, grew up with regular trips to Queens Park to see the swans and the ducks. My daughter grew up with the same experience. She is almost 17yo, and we still visit for the same reason.

The local police station is just across the road! What is wrong with kids like this? Makes me sick.

We have had a dreadful week, with my own Mum dying suddenly on Monday, and as soon as I heard this on the news, I cried my eyes out yet again. My beautiful Mum was such an animal lover, and taught me so much about animals, it just broke my heart. My memories of visiting that park from a baby with my Mum came flooding back, and it just made it even worse....if that is possible.

I hope the horrors are made to pay for this, and get some mental help that they obviously need! Morons that they are.

Whenever I hear about young kids doing these type of things, I cringe, not only because of their actions, but because it's a concern with what they are going to do as adults. Any well respecting and morally brought up child would thing that throwing rocks at any animal would be abhorrent, whereas I suspect these kids found it funny and fun. :laugh:

ETA: my condolences for your mum sumosmum. :thumbsup:

Edited by poochmad
Whenever I hear about young kids doing these type of things, I cringe, not only because of their actions, but because it's a concern with what they are going to do as adults. Any well respecting and morally brought up child would thing that throwing rocks at any animal would be abhorrent, whereas I suspect these kids found it funny and fun. ;)

ETA: my condolences for your mum sumosmum. :)

Thank you poochmad,

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I could never imagine my own daughter ever doing anything like this, or tolerating watching anyone do something like this. It does make you worry about when they are adults.

• 2 months later...