Portia In Hospital

Paptacular!

Portia vomitted up blood this morning while I was working, so Mum took her to the vet to get her checked out.

Some bloods were taken and there is one protein that is a little low. The vet is suspecting a stomach ulcer. She's staying overnight after having some anti-nausea meds and something to stop her stomach producing acid for a little bit to calm it.

Has anyone's dog had a stomach ulcer and how have they coped with it?

Portia vomitted up blood this morning while I was working, so Mum took her to the vet to get her checked out.

Some bloods were taken and there is one protein that is a little low. The vet is suspecting a stomach ulcer. She's staying overnight after having some anti-nausea meds and something to stop her stomach producing acid for a little bit to calm it.

Sorry, can't offer any advice but hope Portia is okay, it must be so worring for you. I hope someone can offer some experience of this to help ease your concerns. Sending hugs and healing vibes to you both.

Sorry to read about Portia. Hope she will be OK soon. None of my dogs have ever had an ulcer, so I can't help there.

Does the vet know how it occurred?

When I spoke to the vet on the phone she said that it can happen for the same reason it happens in humans: stress.

She did have a litter but they are 10 weeks old now, so I would have thought the stressful part would have been over for her.

I used to look after a little dog (up to six months at a time) who had a stomach ulcer. He was on a very strict diet of topside steak and kibble (cant remember which one but from the vets) he also had to have I think 1/8 (may have been smaller as the vets used to cut it for me) of a zantac tablet a day. He was diagnosed when he was a baby and the last time I looked after him he was around eight years and you wouldnt have known anything was wrong with him.

Portia gets to come home at 12.30 with lots of medicine.

Hope Portia is feeling much better and that there are no relapses :D

Pele spent 3 days on a drip at the vets in September after vomitting blood. The vets never did decide if it was something she ate, ulcer or bug of some sort. It was a worry and also very expensive episode so know what you are going thru'. :laugh: to you and Portia :D

Sorry to read about Portia. Hope she will be OK soon. None of my dogs have ever had an ulcer, so I can't help there.

Does the vet know how it occurred?

When I spoke to the vet on the phone she said that it can happen for the same reason it happens in humans: stress.

She did have a litter but they are 10 weeks old now, so I would have thought the stressful part would have been over for her.

In people it is caused by a particular strain of bacteria, not just stress.

Hi , Recently had a Alaskan Malamute that was vomiting blood occaisionally which was a concern. Took him to my vet and had him do a endoscope of his throat and stomach and found a small ulcer for which he was given antibiotics and a daily dose of an oral paste called Gastrozol ( horse medication ) you must talk to your vet for dosage rate to suit your dog. The vet informed me that there are only three things that cause vomiting of blood 1. obstruction 2. cancer. 3 ulcers.

My dog was fine after medication. If you are concerned and it continues, have him give your dog an eendoscope, which will ease your mind.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Hope you're feeling better soon Mummy! I hope the stress of no longer having your most handsome, clever and affectionate puppy is not the reason you are sick...

Love and licks,

Scootie xoxo