The New Puppy We Picked Up...

all4addy

Is not like anything I expected to get LOL

We were planning to wait until an appropriate breeder had puppies near us...

Amd over the weekend I saw this man giving pups away...

Yep, I just couldn't leave the poor little darl there.

From what I understand of what I "could understand" they hadn't even wormed the poor darl, let alone vacc's, I saw another person like this the other day and steadfastedly ignored there pups as by the look of it (I have as lot of experience in sighting pups that are sick or on the edge of sickness) that they weren't well.

This one was all chipper and bright eyed though, and silly me just couldn't leave the poor darl there, and for once my dear husband was silent (hes usually the voice of reason when I want to grab every stray in the nearest vicinity, and refuses to stop, hes nota meanie, loves animals too, but knows what a softie I am, elsewise I mght end up with more than allowed animals lol)

They didn't even tell me what she was feeding on, so I gave the usual I give to puppies and she gobbled it all up within a matter of seconds, her stools seem fine and this morning she was bright and chipper at 4am, ahh its like having the 4th newborn lol. Shes currently taking a little nap in the backroom (away from my noisy kids) in one of those soft collapsible crates (usually used to take our two cats to the vet).

So, hopefully she should be ours, we are planning to take her to the vets very very soon, and get her all checked out and make sure she doesn't have any virus', worms etc. We have named her "Roxy" which the previous owners kids apparently nicknamed her "rotty" so its not that far of a difference.

She hasn't been trained at all or anything done, and shes already paper trained with wees (poos are another story lol) and coming when called, so shes obviously a bright little chipper! She just needs to learn a little bite inhibition as her cheweing on my chin is so not fun!

For the last little bit that will blow everybody, shes 7 1/2 weeks and.....a labrador x border collie x rottweiler x kelpie. I have had numerous experience with all these breeds but a puppy this crossed? My dog from when I was little was a bitza, I think shes was lab x golden retriever x rotty x border collie, and a giant sook lol. The mother was Kelpie x Border Collie, and the father Lab x Rotty. From what I could gather, it was an accident, but in my mind it was an accident that could of been prevented had either party been desexed! There should be laws (fuming here) but I am not blaming a poor lil pup for that. If the only people that were permitted to breed were "registered" breeders, and EVERYBODY elses dog had to be desexed (I can understand in a round about way working dogs though) then I think the number of dogs put down would grossly plummet in the near future. There should be a good permit for a good reason for not getting the dog desexed (too old, working dog for a certain thing, planning to breed/showing dog to breed and registered etc)

Any advice would be ultra helpful, like ummm....what size am I feeding her for as an adult? The puppy amounts all list adult sizes, I guesstimated 20-25 kgs, because I would say she would be a bit bigger than Lila (Lab x Border Collie) by Adulthood, and Lila just tips the scales at 20-22 (fluctuates because of her labness lol, right now I think shes back down to about 20.25)

But any tips/thoughts would be great!

P.S. We are still planning to stay on the waiting list for the breed we want, but because of how rare they are in Aus, it could probably take upto 10 years (lol, okay mayb im exaggerating a bit) to get a pup for that breed, but its my dream breed, and I am happy to take one whenever one of them has a space for lil old me :laugh: Till then, and of course after, Lila has a buddy to play with, quite funny watching a little tiny puppy play tug of war with a solid lab x. We have enough space for 3 dogs (2 acres) and enough room for 3 large dogs romping round our house, and enough love in our hearts, so one day god may grant us the lovable pooch I have been drooling after.

PPS, She is the most adorable thing ever, full of pep and back bodied, little white sock feet, a dab of white on her chest, and a caramel coloured face with black outlining her features (nose, eyes, mouth). And floppy ears, and a very very skinny long tail, like a mouse lol. So wish us luck at the vets, hopefully this girl gets a clean bill of health and a lovely home with us!

Edited by all4addy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.... and another backyard breeder of crossbred mutts is happy to be relieved of an unwanted pup. sigh.

she didn't hand over any money for it. What would you recommend her to do? Tell him to surrender them to the pound? They'd be dead pretty quickly.

.... and another backyard breeder of crossbred mutts is happy to be relieved of an unwanted pup. sigh.

she didn't hand over any money for it. What would you recommend her to do? Tell him to surrender them to the pound? They'd be dead pretty quickly.

I think she was lovely to give a pup a home, but as a society we don't seem to be making much progress in getting people to de-sex crossbred dogs. Perhaps we can all learn.

Souff

Agree with souff. Even though the pup was free, you've made it acceptable for that "breeder" to think its easy to off-load dogs. It doesn't discourage indiscriminate breeding at all, and the cycle continues.

If there is no market, people might think again about breeding because of the difficulty of "getting rid of" the pups. The suckers of the world contribute to the problem, unfortunately.

Edited by caffiend42

Not to be a mood dampener but wouldn't your lab x now be at risk of anything this 'seemingly healthy' but likely unvacc'd pup has?

I only ask because of the quarantine issue I have been reading about so much.

Only if the resident dogs were not vaccinated and wormed regularily.

Not to be a mood dampener but wouldn't your lab x now be at risk of anything this 'seemingly healthy' but likely unvacc'd pup has?

That will reduce the risk of problems, but...

Vaccination sometimes doesn't work.

And worming isn't a preventative. An environment that people have carefully kept worm-free for years can be contaminated quickly by a dog coming in from a dirty property with hookworm. More frequent worming may now be necessary.

It is disappointing when people obtain pups like these and encourage the problem of overbreeding and careless breeding to continue.

I hope that pup's parents had ok temperaments, and that lack of worming hasn't caused irreversible physical or neurological problems in that pup.

A dog is a very long term commitment, so good luck All4addy. You are going to need good luck.

Our Lab has had her yearly vacc about a month ago (the one that includes kennel cough, so the full one) she is wormed reguarly via chews for all worms, and had her flea treatment which includes heartworm preventative 1 week ago (given monthly along with chews) she had a checkup about 1? week ago and was pronounced in perfect health, she also has a stomach of cast iron, and has a very high immunity against parvo.

We are keeping them seperated for the most part except for playtime, and if she looked off colour at all, then she would not be with Lila for playtime. I have also been watching her stools each time she goes (including a thorough examination of them which grossed hubby out to no end lol), her stools are removed as soon as they are finished, and areas used for her playing, peeing and pooing are disinfected regularly with umm..tricyclene? I think its called, which is what the vet uses to disinfect rooms, especially ones that have parvo. Although I don't have experience in everything, I do have a lot of experience with fleas, parvo, and worms, from fostering and what you would call "hospice" puppy care, basically taking care of pups through illnesses they may not recover from.

The kids hands are also washed with goats soap, then with an antibacterial after each play with puppy. The poor things have learnt through my hospice care that this puppy may or may not be able to have a home with us, and its upto the vet to decide that she is "healthy" and allowed to live with us. Till then they understand that they have to be extra careful with the puppy.

I also had a talking to with the owner, and he was apparently going to get the female desexed (the male is from what I understand, his sons dog, hence the "oopsie" supposedly when his son came to visit) as for the male, only god knows. I did try to speak with them, unfortunately, after reading about the Kelpie pups at the yardsales, my mind has gone into paranoia overdrive, and all I could see was the poor pup going to the pound, and there because it wasn't "covered" by vaccs, worming, it getting quite sick and noone noticing, and it having to get put down, probably not a high chance, but I just couldn't leave the poor little thing there. Anyway, hopefully she'll get a clean bill of health and we'll have a lovely new friend to introduce to everyone, I had to block off under the baby gate as she can sneak under there, and Mischa (one of my birmans) was having fun taking turns with her chasing each other lol.

I will get pics when I find the box that contains my camera LOL. Until then would love to know any more help on choosing adult weight guesstimates. The mum was about 3/4 of Lilas size, so was obviously a small Kelpie/Border Collie, the dad is just a touch smaller than a rotty bit bigger than a lab, if that makes sense?

Agree with souff. Even though the pup was free, you've made it acceptable for that "breeder" to think its easy to off-load dogs. It doesn't discourage indiscriminate breeding at all, and the cycle continues.

If there is no market, people might think again about breeding because of the difficulty of "getting rid of" the pups. The suckers of the world contribute to the problem, unfortunately.

Well said :shrug:

"Breeders" like the one mentioned in the OP's post usually find someone to clean up their mess.

what about ringworm..that can be transferred not only to other dogs but humans

Guys, no point in flogging a new puppy owner for the shortcomings of the pup's breeder.

She's done the pup a favour. What she needs is support, not condemnation.

It's not like the breeder profitted from this pup anyway.

Edited by poodlefan

all4addy: congratulations on your new puppy. If you need help or have questions, you should also pop by the puppy forum - it's mostly friendly in there, with lots of people willing to help out :shrug:

Sounds like you'd be safe going with puppy food for a medium-sized dog until your pup gets larger and you have a better idea what size she's going to be. We didn't know what Elbie had been fed before we got him either, so he started out on Pedigree (oops) and then Hills Science Diet for Puppy. He did really well on that but most DOLers don't like that so you could try Royal Canin puppy.

Our dog Elbie was also a free to a good home dog. He was being given away because the owner of the dog couldn't afford to keep feeding all the dogs. Our second dog was from a registered WKC-breeder but we don't regret getting Elbie - we think that we've given him a good and loving home, much better than he was probably headed for given that he was being given away at just under 8 weeks and had ringworm and worms. Also, if your dog ends up having ringworm, don't worry too much, it's very contagious but very, very treatable and we were able to get rid of the problem in just a few weeks and there hasn't been a recurrence since - Elbie has a very healthy coat these days ;)

He has made it to silver level in obedience (maybe he'll even make it to gold this year) and he has just started agility so even doggies from the wrong side of the tracks can go ok ;) Look forward to seeing some photos!

Edited by koalathebear

Good luck with the pup.

What will happen with the pup if the vet says she is not healthy?

We will of course do everything possible to save her, shes a fit young little thing, so chances for her making it through treatment (if she has anything) would be favourable.

We are not going to dump her or anything like that! I am just keeping my fingers crossed that shes all good, as its terrible when these young little pups have to go through treatments, especially when its caught too late, and you realize that then are not "fit" enough to survive the treatment.

She will be loved and well cared for, and have a house where she can sleep inside and have some acreage to run round.

Thanks Koalathebear. My dogs are always fed on either Atermis Maximal or Puppy, or Royal Canin (when I forget to order Artemis) right now, both the cats & dogs are on Royal Canin as K9 Katz Kitchen seems to be closed and I haven't looked into a suitable alternative supplier. I think the puppy has Purina Supercoat for the moment as we saw her Sunday afternoon before we went shopping, so only the supermarket was open, I don't really like it (I think I used to use Opitmum? when Lila was little) but it'll do till I order some Artemis and I will slowly change over. I appreciate the hlep and nice reply :shrug:

Guys, no point in flogging a new puppy owner for the shortcomings of the pup's breeder.

She's done the pup a favour. What she needs is support, not condemnation.

It's not like the breeder profitted from this pup anyway.

Exactly PF. If she hadn't taken the pup.. she'd be getting flamed for that too!!

OK. So the pup was free but people like the owner probably wouldn't have the brains to desex the bitch, and probably the male dog which probably belongs to him too. He will just do the same thing next time the bitch has a litter. He obviously is not in it 'for the money' so it's no skin off his nose.