The New Puppy We Picked Up...

all4addy

.... and another backyard breeder of crossbred mutts is happy to be relieved of an unwanted pup. sigh.

she didn't hand over any money for it. What would you recommend her to do? Tell him to surrender them to the pound? They'd be dead pretty quickly.

OK. So the pup was free but people like the owner probably wouldn't have the brains to desex the bitch, and probably the male dog which probably belongs to him too. He will just do the same thing next time the bitch has a litter. He obviously is not in it 'for the money' so it's no skin off his nose.

If you read all the OP's posts, you'll find two of your assumptions look to be incorrect.

But hey, don't let that stop you. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.... and another backyard breeder of crossbred mutts is happy to be relieved of an unwanted pup. sigh.

she didn't hand over any money for it. What would you recommend her to do? Tell him to surrender them to the pound? They'd be dead pretty quickly.

OK. So the pup was free but people like the owner probably wouldn't have the brains to desex the bitch, and probably the male dog which probably belongs to him too. He will just do the same thing next time the bitch has a litter. He obviously is not in it 'for the money' so it's no skin off his nose.

If you read all the OP's posts, you'll find two of your assumptions look to be incorrect.

If you are referring to my post, by the time I did actually post, I discovered that the owner was actually going to have his bitch desexed. Please forgive me

If you are referring to my post, by the time I did actually post, I discovered that the owner was actually going to have his bitch desexed. Please forgive me

And he didn't own the dog either.

It's not me anyone should be seeking forgiveness from. I"m not the one copping the caning for 'encouraging' this guy to breed.

asking for forgiveness was tongue in cheek!! You probably wouldn't anyway.

And he didn't own the dog either.

It's not me anyone should be seeking forgiveness from. I"m not the one copping the caning for 'encouraging' this guy to breed.

asking for forgiveness was tongue in cheek!! You probably wouldn't anyway.

You were joking? No kidding! :)

Looks like you're on a roll with the judgemental comments though. Hope you're enjoying yourself.

Edited by poodlefan

Hi all4addy - You sound like an extremely caring and responsible person who is going to do everything possible for this poor little mite. Some of the most intelligent and devoted dogs have had fairly shakty starts t/o* thei rlives and I hope this wee one brings you many years of enjoyment (and puppy antics!)

Poodlefan - hear! Hear! If beating up on someone who has come to this forum looking for help and support would actually prevent any unwanted puppies being bred then I would say *Go ahead - beat up on them all you want* BUT in actuality all we do when we act so righteous and unforgiving and knowitall is to discourage people who care enough to seek out a forum and help to persuade them that *pedigree dog people* are all a bunch of PITAs!

As you say if All4addy had NOT adopted this puppy - it may well have ended up in less caring hands or being euthed. Either way it is doubtful that the owner would have learnt anything at all and one more puppy would have been dead.

Agree with souff. Even though the pup was free, you've made it acceptable for that "breeder" to think its easy to off-load dogs. It doesn't discourage indiscriminate breeding at all, and the cycle continues.

If there is no market, people might think again about breeding because of the difficulty of "getting rid of" the pups. The suckers of the world contribute to the problem, unfortunately.

Well said :)

"Breeders" like the one mentioned in the OP's post usually find someone to clean up their mess.

Try to remember there is a real person on the other side, would you say this to someone in person? They have just stopped a dog going to the pound (or worse - since lately I've read far too many stories about people drowing the puppies they don't want), and sure they could have rescued one from the pound but instead they're getting one that hasn't spent days or longer locked in a cage (at 7.5 weeks old) and so will potentially make a better pet as a result.

Accidents happen, it's not the puppy's fault and they don't deserve any less. You don't teach the indiscriminate breeder a lesson by potentially getting the puppies killed (kelpy/rottie crosses don't have the best odds do they).

She gave him a good talking to, there's no more she could have done without putting the puppy at risk.

As you say if All4addy had NOT adopted this puppy - it may well have ended up in less caring hands or being euthed. Either way it is doubtful that the owner would have learnt anything at all and one more puppy would have been dead.

If she had NOT adopted that puppy, she probably would have adopted a different dog, as that was her intention. Maybe that puppy isn't dead but maybe another ones is.

Maybe she needs to buy the type of dog she was originally going to buy, and keep this one as well, before we know for sure that one more puppy won't be dead.

If she had NOT adopted that puppy, she probably would have adopted a different dog, as that was her intention. Maybe that puppy isn't dead but maybe another ones is.

Maybe she needs to buy the type of dog she was originally going to buy, and keep this one as well, before we know for sure that one more puppy won't be dead.

Well, if you read the full post, she was on a waiting list for her chosen breed so I don't think your comment is fair in this case. She provided a home for what would have been effectively either rescue/pound dog (or saved one from being killed) instead of waiting for her chosen breed (the breeder of whom shouldn't be breeding in the first place if they can't look after all the babies). It's not like she went to a pet shop, it's not like she paid any money and it's not like she didn't give the owners a lecture. She did everything she could, without punishing the puppy.

This puppy needed a home just as much as any puppy whether a rescue or a purebred. She did the right thing, she is giving her a good home and good health care.

Good on you for doing the right thing :eek:

Its easy to sit behind a computer and be "holier than thou", sometimes we just do what needs to be done.

You saved a dogs life, enjoy it, and we need pics!!!

Suppose posting this news on a pure breed dog forum isn't going to get you a round of applause.

Good luck with your puppy. I have done similar in the past. It is human for the heart to rule the head sometimes.

Mongrels (that is about the right description) do often survive & exist without all the things that responsible breeders do. It is pot luck if it is healthy & problem free.

Hope all goes well & you & the dog are all happy & together for a long time.

Suppose posting this news on a pure breed dog forum isn't going to get you a round of applause.

Good luck with your puppy. I have done similar in the past. It is human for the heart to rule the head sometimes.Mongrels (that is about the right description) do often survive & exist without all the things that responsible breeders do. It is pot luck if it is healthy & problem free.

Hope all goes well & you & the dog are all happy & together for a long time.

Amen to that. A friend of mine who's owned registered purebreds all her life has Maltese/Silky cross she saw in a pet shop window heavily discounted the day before Good Friday. Pup was 11 weeks old and had been in that window for about 5 weeks I think.

The shop let her beat them down on price to bugger all and she got them to throw in a whole lot of goodies. She walked out twice during the bargaining.

She knew very well what would happen to that pup if she didnt' buy it.

Will she ever buy another pet shop pup? I very much doubt it but I can't condemn her for wanting to see that pup get a happy ending. And she did. She's 14 years old now.

Bloody hard to hold tight to the "don't support BYB/puppy millers" line when you're staring at the innocent victims of their practices. :eek:

Edited by poodlefan

Christina and Poodlefan,

As the one who posted the comment that started the controversy, I totally agree with what you have said in these posts.

I have done it, most breeders and owners of purebred dogs have done it, and most of us probably did it out of disgust for the human who had the pups to give away or sell.

I could go out on any given day, and come home with a pup from similar circumstances, such is the prevalence of the unwanted pups out there. I walk past and leave them there now, probably sounds selfish but I have more than done my bit to combat this problem and there have been all sorts of efforts thrown at it, but 20 years or so on, the problem is still there and flourishing.

The stories are still much the same. The visiting dog story is to absolve themselves of any responsibility they have to keep entired dogs away from entire bitches.

Funny how the dog just happened to visit at the fertile time of the bitches season - that must have been coincidence of course.

Truth is, that they are too lousy, or too lazy, or too whatever, to go and get their dogs desexed. Nine times out of ten, the parents dogs themselves were accidents, often given to the current owners because they were unwanted pups.

I am not angry with the OP, not at all. My comment was to highlight that these lowlifes are still doing the same old thing, and far too many pups and dogs are euthanased as a result of these stupid and immoral people.

Sellers/givers of unwanted pups do not give a stuff about issues such as temperament or inherited conditions! Why should they?

Because NOBODY demands that they do!

They are free to pass on all manner of horrible health problems but because the dogs will never be seen at dog shows, so Jemima and co wont be writing up about it and alerting the public via television screens all over the world, and no doubt making a nice pile from the royalties at the same time.

Sellers/givers are free to continue to just give away mongrel pups .... and continue to give away problems and all responsibility for those problems. As long as people continue to feel sorry for the cute pups ..... Souff now just glares at the owner and walks away.

Their litters are rarely small. These sellers/givers are 99% of the reason why there are so many dogs on death row, or sitting in pounds and shelters and in foster homes, waiting for the chance to have a forever home, and some get really screwed up along the way because of the changes and instability in their lives. Not unlike kids in care sadly.

Meanwhile the purebred dog world where breeders DO care and Do do the right things by the health of the dogs, and by the public at large, continue to be condemned from the rooftops while these mongrels who breed mongrels can happily continue this evil practice.

End of sermon.

Souff

yes Souff, but you're preaching to the choir. The OP didn't breed the dog. Th person who bred the dog would never grace a forum such as this. The OP now has the puppy and is trying to do the right thing.

No one needs to sing their praises, but we can all offer help and support.

Agree with souff. Even though the pup was free, you've made it acceptable for that "breeder" to think its easy to off-load dogs. It doesn't discourage indiscriminate breeding at all, and the cycle continues.

If there is no market, people might think again about breeding because of the difficulty of "getting rid of" the pups. The suckers of the world contribute to the problem, unfortunately.

Well said :eek:

"Breeders" like the one mentioned in the OP's post usually find someone to clean up their mess.

Try to remember there is a real person on the other side, would you say this to someone in person? They have just stopped a dog going to the pound (or worse - since lately I've read far too many stories about people drowing the puppies they don't want), and sure they could have rescued one from the pound but instead they're getting one that hasn't spent days or longer locked in a cage (at 7.5 weeks old) and so will potentially make a better pet as a result.

Accidents happen, it's not the puppy's fault and they don't deserve any less. You don't teach the indiscriminate breeder a lesson by potentially getting the puppies killed (kelpy/rottie crosses don't have the best odds do they).

She gave him a good talking to, there's no more she could have done without putting the puppy at risk.

To the bolded bit, yes I have, and yes, the language is different face to face :( And yes, I will continue to do so.

There is no doubting this pup, from what the OP is saying, will get the best of love and attention, and that is a great thing. Herein lies a dilemma - we ALL can get caught up in what is seen right in front of us, and what WE can do in the here and now - these are the choices we make on an individual level. On this level, the BEST thing has happened for THIS pup.

The thing is, most people looking at this level aren't looking at the big picture, and that is not necessarily their fault. The BIG picture is that for every pup or kitten obtained through the BYB market, there is one in a pound that will probably get the green dream, and a genuine breeder of a purebred animal, bred with greater certainty of genetics and temperament so that people can be confident in getting the "product" as described, finds it that much harder to find owners for their animals.

Encouraging those that would go for an impulse "save" or purchase to think of the big picture can only be done through education, and there are many forms of that, as evidenced even in this thread alone. :(