Boarding / Training Programs

I echo Erny...

I have also worked with Glenn and have seen Steve Work. Your Bo is in really good hands...

Thanks for this really positive and constructive feedback - much appreciated. Bo is working with two of their female handlers who seem young and competent - I am sure Glenn in particular given he operates full-time from the Dural facility mentor and overseas the training. I really liked both Glenn and Steve when I met them. Glenn took a particular interest in getting to know me and what my issues were with Bo. I have been keeping in contact with them during the process to-date and things are progressing well they have advised. Bo is spending his days between training in the office with the staff so he must be behaving himself and enjoying his time there. Can't wait to see him next week!

Boarding/training programmes do not have a good reputation for lots of reasons, and I would stay away from them.

Hi Christine.

What have you heard? I'm very curious to know.

HR

Me too - obviously!

I've heard a few unsavoury things in relation to the Guard Dog Training Centre, on this forum but not much, if anything, about other places. The truth of that I couldn't vouch for as I don't know it first hand. Regardless, I don't think there should be a generalisation about Boarding & Training. I provide this service as well and I'm very proud not only of the work that I KNOW first hand goes into working with dogs to bring out their best (in the best way possible) albeit in an amazingly short period of time, but of the care that is given to those dogs and the bond that builds between dog and trainer (in the instance of which I speak, that means me). I'm also proud of the care and attention the kennels whom I use for my services provide to those dogs.

I find that 'my' dogs begin to thoroughly enjoy their training sessions. Not to say they don't enjoy them to begin with, but I see the dogs 'grow' and increasingly look forward to the sessions when they begin to understand what they are about. Even just the other week I had one of my B&T dogs favour coming with me for the training session, even though at the time she was in the midst of joining other dogs (who she loved playing with) for one of their (what is standard, for this kennel) play runs.

So a blanket statement tarnishing all B&T is not only not accurate but is also not fair. I know that the people here on DOL are generally here because of the passion they share for their dogs and their dogs' training. And I say "kudos to them/you" for that. I think some of the best training comes from the dog's owners who can manage it with tuition. But some people don't share that same passion, but that's not to say they love their dogs any less than you do. They just might not have the immediate time to put in to the 'teaching' phase of training, or they might be having difficulties in getting through and around some issues that might just be made easier to work and deal with when someone else can put the time and dedication in.

Would I want someone else working/training my dog? No - but that's because I'm well ensconced with my boy's training and I don't want it goofed around or confused. But other people might not have set up a training regime and this might be part of their problem. Starting off a training regime (with results the owner can easily see) can make it easier for people to carry on with.

So whilst putting YOUR dog in for B&T might not be your cup of tea - and I can well appreciate that - to run down all B&T's would be similar to running down all kennels because of a bad apple or two (or three).

However, as with kennelling and any other service that puts your dog into the care of someone else, you should shop around, ask around and be comfortable with your choice. If you couldn't be, then I'd say "don't". But that's not because B&T is a bad thing.

Edited by Erny

I've heard a few unsavoury things in relation to the Guard Dog Training Centre, on this forum but not much, if anything, about other places. The truth of that I couldn't vouch for as I don't know it first hand. Regardless, I don't think there should be a generalisation about Boarding & Training. I provide this service as well and I'm very proud not only of the work that I KNOW first hand goes into working with dogs to bring out their best (in the best way possible) albeit in an amazingly short period of time, but of the care that is given to those dogs and the bond that builds between dog and trainer (in the instance of which I speak, that means me). I'm also proud of the care and attention the kennels whom I use for my services provide to those dogs.

I find that 'my' dogs begin to thoroughly enjoy their training sessions. Not to say they don't enjoy them to begin with, but I see the dogs 'grow' and increasingly look forward to the sessions when they begin to understand what they are about. Even just the other week I had one of my B&T dogs favour coming with me for the training session, even though at the time she was in the midst of joining other dogs (who she loved playing with) for one of their (what is standard, for this kennel) play runs.

So a blanket statement tarnishing all B&T is not only not accurate but is also not fair. I know that the people here on DOL are generally here because of the passion they share for their dogs and their dogs' training. And I say "kudos to them/you" for that. I think some of the best training comes from the dog's owners who can manage it with tuition. But some people don't share that same passion, but that's not to say they love their dogs any less than you do. They just might not have the immediate time to put in to the 'teaching' phase of training, or they might be having difficulties in getting through and around some issues that might just be made easier to work and deal with when someone else can put the time and dedication in.

Would I want someone else working/training my dog? No - but that's because I'm well ensconced with my boy's training and I don't want it goofed around or confused. But other people might not have set up a training regime and this might be part of their problem. Starting off a training regime (with results the owner can easily see) can make it easier for people to carry on with.

So whilst putting YOUR dog in for B&T might not be your cup of tea - and I can well appreciate that - to run down all B&T's would be similar to running down all kennels because of a bad apple or two (or three).

However, as with kennelling and any other service that puts your dog into the care of someone else, you should shop around, ask around and be comfortable with your choice. If you couldn't be, then I'd say "don't". But that's not because B&T is a bad thing.

Great response, Erny. Hindsight is always a fine thing and we often make the choices we make based on best intentions (and sometimes a dash of desperation too). One has to be mindful, that not everyone has the knowledge, ability and confidence, too, to educate their dogs unassisted. I first went to Dog Tech for that assistance and despite their best efforts (and mine) I felt some issues with my dog were worsening and felt ill-equipped and lacking in knowledge and education in knowing how to deal with them. I actually worked myself up into a state of anxiety and physical exhaustion over it. Not good for me, worse for my dog. I didn't want to give up on my dog or myself and so looked at other ways that I could get some help pronto. The training / boarding solution / option seemed a good one to me, the novice, particularly with the facility and team that I ultimately chose.

Ironically, just today, I was grabbing a sandwich at a local cafe and the proprietor asked me where Bo was. I filled him in and he exclaimed excitedly that he had sent his adolescent lab to another well-known B&T facility here in Sydney some 6 years ago for pretty much the same challenges I was having with Bo. The end result was extremely positive and effective and he has carried through with the training ever since and couldn't be happier - like me, he felt unskilled in developing a sound training foundation in his dog.

I totally agree - I would much rather be the one to train my dog - I just needed some expert guidance and foundation laying and I feel confident that my dog and I will have benefited positively as a result. I'll keep you posted but am 100% committed in maintaining the behaviours learned and with continuing obedience classes with Steve, Glenn and Co.

Thanks so much for your input and comments. :)

I agree with what Erny said, but from observing a number of dogs that have been to various different board and train programs, i can say that the results achieved are excellent initially, almost like a new dog, but if the owners aren't committed to continuing the training program, then it all goes down hill rather quickly (in my experience, weeks to months). This sometimes results in dogs constantly being sent off for B&T.

Having said that, i would much rather put my dog in a B&T program if I had to go away, than a normal boarding kennel. And I would much rather see a dog constantly going for B&T than dumped at the pound, given to "a farm", relegated to the backyard full time or PTS :o

I think for committed owners who may be a bit overwhelmed or have a particularly difficult dog, then they are great programs that can help set up a positive training relationship for the dog and owners for life :o

Well said Erny as usual.

You have rather an uncanny knack of helping other people remove their feet from their mouth.

This might be after I, on other different topics, have ever so elegantly (not) shoved my feet in mine, :).

But thank you :).