As Breeders, Do You Charge More For Main Register Pups?

saradale

Same price both limited and Main.

Oh come on. If one colour doesnt sell as easily as another and is in less demand why would a breeder be so terrible if they sold one colour at one price and another higher or lower ?

I believe that will encourage some breeders to breed for colour only, as they know they can sell them for me.

Just look at the "rare" blue Stafford.

It does.

It's the same with the Amstaffs aswell, because of the huge blue craze that went on and how everyone thought it was rare, so breeders charged more, they are now everywhere! & people are still getting sucked into paying more for the colour even though is is now the dominating colour out there.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have paid more for a main reg pup and won't be doing that again as it hasn't lived up to expectations and I am left with a very expensive pet.

I charge the same for each in the litter.

Steve, if you sold a main reg pup to an experience show/breeder you wouldn't need to spend extra time with them, so would you still charge them more?

Look Im the lady who handles complaints and enquiries when people who buy puppies feel the breeder has sold them a lemon.I promise you that if someone buys a pup on main register they have and should have different expectations on what that means.

If someone comes to me - experienced show breeder or other wise who would like to purchase a pup which will one day be able to be used for breeding and at the very minumum do no harm to the breed then Im looking at that pup with a different set of criteria Im choosing from.

Now all of us are pretty confident that when we sell a pup which is a potential champion we cant guarantee thats what anyone is going to get but in my opinion I do need to be pretty sure the pup I sell someone for breeding has a high chance of being able to reproduce puppies without risk of a C section, with out worries of recesive disorders or polygenic issues turning up without any conformation issues either inthat pup or the ancestry which would affect the ability for it to be used for breeding.

No matter how experienced the breeder is I can and do still fill in many gaps and spend hours chatting about pedigrees and potential mates etc.

For those less experienced I work with them and help and advise them in a completely different way to what I do with a pet puppy buyer and they receive a different package [ in writing].

Selling a main register pup doesnt just carry with it the need for a different guarantee its a huge responsibility for any breeder and whether or not it may or may not win in the ring is only one part of it all. It has to be judged by what it will bring to the breed gene pool and not just how it looks.

Here's a small example. If I got a single pup in a litter which develops say - cherry eye/heart murmur etc but could be any number of things - no pup in that litter would go out with main register papers and no pup from either that mother or that father would ever go out on main register no matter how much show potential they had. Every one of those puppies can look the part and be perfectly good pets and be used for the purpose for which it is purchased but any one may also carry a recessive gene which in my opinion would make it unsuitable for the purpose for which it is purchased. It may do well and pass the grade in the ring but it may also do harm to the breed and therefore it does not get main papers. No bitch pup from a C section litter will ever go out with breeding papers.

Then lets look at colour. There are two spearate issues here - one from a pet buyers view and one from a breeders view.

As pet buyers we can all have a look at a breed and decide which colour we would prefer to own because it appeals to us visually more. I like tri coloured beagles more than I like tan and white beagles and I would pay more money if I could afford it for a tri coloured beagle over a tan and white if all else was equal. Is this something I should feel bad about or pretend isnt true? Tri coloured beagles are not only more beautiful and more cute to me but they are also more beautiful and more cute to most people who are buying a beagle. I happen to like the look of a tri coloured beagle with its eyeliner and black nose more than I do the others and given all things being equal I would choose the tri dog over a tan and white any day of the week. Supply and demand. I think my puppies are worth 10 times what I sell them for but I can only sell them for that if someone else agrees with my valuation and is prepared to pay for it. I can think my tan and white pups are worth as much as my tri colour pups but that doesnt do much for anything if no one agrees with me and all the tri pups are living in nice homes and not the tan and whites because the peopel buying them see them as being worth less. So am I to lower the price of all of my puppies in order to be sure I will sell them all in a reasonable time frame ? How does that help? The tri coloured puppies will still go home first. I have less return to cover my expenses and Im still looking at the tan and white puppies. So if offer my puppies at a usual asking price and Ive got the tan and whites who pet buyers will look twice at if they better fit their budget - how am I doing something so terribly wrong ?

Then from the breeding prospective. I have 3 tan and white bitches here which make beautiful tri coloured puppies if I mate them with a tri coloured dog with no tan and white gene. I have them for breeding because they are the best choice for my breeding program with fantastic conformation and no genetic time bombs [i hope] I bred two of them and had choices to take a tri bitch rather than a tan and white bitch and chose the tan and white ones.

The other I purchased from another breeder and I had choice of tri or this bitch and took the tan and white.

Given the choice I will go for a tri boy with no tan and white gene to mate them with but I would use a tan and white boy in a heartbeat if he was more capapble of bringing something in which a tri boy couldnt.

I would keep a tan and white for breeding but I would also consider selling the litter of tan and whites for les than I do my tri colour puppies - not because I see them as less valuable but because the people who are shopping for a pet puppy do.

There is no doubt that breeders who are that way inclined may and do decide to breed only for colour and not consider anything else but why do we all have to be accountable and responsible for what someone else does. I sometimes discount tan and white puppies because they are not as easy to find homes for just as any other breeder may consider lowering the price when the pup gets older and hasnt sold yet .

I see whats happened to blue staffies and I agree its terrible because they are selecting for colour and nothing else but selecting for ANYTHING including a champion and nothing else is every bit as bad for the breed and a lot of this is how you look at it. Do you expect people to lower the prices of all their pups to be sure one isnt seen to be more valuable when in fact one is still more valuable because more people want it? You cant beat basic economics and price fixing isnt the answer.

You do what suits you based on your goals and your breed and circumstances and there will be breeders regardless of what their goal is for the litter whether that be a working dog, show dog, colour or anything else who will go after that and not consider the compromises they are making but to automatically assume a breeder is doing the wrong thing because they have different prices on different pups and different services they offer is in my opinion too heavily focused on only one part of what it should be all about. to deleiberately make decisions - not based on what is best for the puppies in your yard but in case soemoen thinks there is bigger money in breeding for colour isnt going to take us far. They will still see the supply and demand and if they are that way motivated still go that way.

I think what my buyers get when they take a main registered pup from me is worth more than what they get with a pup with limited register to the future of the breed. I want them to know that and feel that and get why its such a huge responsibility for anyone selling a main register pup before they get to that themselves and charging $200 more is how it works for me.

Edited by Steve

I have not had the issue since Limited reg papers have come in.

Last year I sold a pup and we kept in my name and showed him. Sadly he was killed by a car. If he had met his potential I would have coowned and worked something out.

I would not charge and different price as Angelsun states it takes the same to raise them.

Well I wont co own and would much prefer to pay a little more in order to won it myself and allow the person buying to own it too.

Point is there isnt any right or wrong answer. What I do suits me.

I don't charge extra for Main Register. All Main Register pups are co-own. No ifs or buts. Too many disreputable colour breeders or puppy farmers popping up in my breed who don't give a brass razoo about what they are breeding. As long as it carries colour and they can breed from it.. Yipeee.

If I "stash" a dog for breeding, they pay the full price up front. I pay all the health testing at the relevant time. Once I use the dog/bitch, I refund their purchase price or give them a puppy (limit reg). Once the dog is desexed, I am happy to sign it over. At least this way, if they decide to desex the dog early, I have still got my pet price.

Too many people popping up in my breed who do not spend the time actually researching the lines they have. If they did some basic research, they would not be doubling up on certain dogs in their pedigree. All they see is a "nice" chocolate/white dog.. not what hidden dangers are carried in the line..

The funny thing with that.. is mostly where these same people have gotten their coloured dog from is a colour breeder to start with... Some breeders still sell everything on Main Registration and the coloured dogs flooding the market are from the same few kennels who do sell all their pups on Main Registration. So the quality never really improves. As generally speaking, the same people who are buying these dogs are only interested in selling coloured dogs, and anyone with quality show dogs will not allow their studs to go to these inferior bitches.

Too many border collies are coming up with other varying health issues that are not able to be DNA tested for, and the number of puppies I have seen recently who are missing significant pigment on their noses at 8 weeks is disturbing. (these are non merle puppies too). Or the number of dogs with blue eyes appearing on Main Register and then some breeders making a feature of it in their advertising for "show quality" puppies when the blue eye is an actual breed fault!

Maybe if some of those breeders actually went to a show and tried to show their dogs, they may get an idea of what show quality really is. Just because it is capable of being bred from, does not make it show quality.

If these new breeders are there for the right reasons.. then I am sure most of us will be supportive with their endeavours. But the number of ones who are breeding for other reasons is getting disturbing.

I don't charge extra for Main Register. All Main Register pups are co-own. No ifs or buts. Too many disreputable colour breeders or puppy farmers popping up in my breed who don't give a brass razoo about what they are breeding. As long as it carries colour and they can breed from it.. Yipeee.

If I "stash" a dog for breeding, they pay the full price up front. I pay all the health testing at the relevant time. Once I use the dog/bitch, I refund their purchase price or give them a puppy (limit reg). Once the dog is desexed, I am happy to sign it over. At least this way, if they decide to desex the dog early, I have still got my pet price.

Too many people popping up in my breed who do not spend the time actually researching the lines they have. If they did some basic research, they would not be doubling up on certain dogs in their pedigree. All they see is a "nice" chocolate/white dog.. not what hidden dangers are carried in the line..

The funny thing with that.. is mostly where these same people have gotten their coloured dog from is a colour breeder to start with... Some breeders still sell everything on Main Registration and the coloured dogs flooding the market are from the same few kennels who do sell all their pups on Main Registration. So the quality never really improves. As generally speaking, the same people who are buying these dogs are only interested in selling coloured dogs, and anyone with quality show dogs will not allow their studs to go to these inferior bitches.

Too many border collies are coming up with other varying health issues that are not able to be DNA tested for, and the number of puppies I have seen recently who are missing significant pigment on their noses at 8 weeks is disturbing. (these are non merle puppies too). Or the number of dogs with blue eyes appearing on Main Register and then some breeders making a feature of it in their advertising for "show quality" puppies when the blue eye is an actual breed fault!

Maybe if some of those breeders actually went to a show and tried to show their dogs, they may get an idea of what show quality really is. Just because it is capable of being bred from, does not make it show quality.

If these new breeders are there for the right reasons.. then I am sure most of us will be supportive with their endeavours. But the number of ones who are breeding for other reasons is getting disturbing.

However, just because it is capable of doing well in the ring doesnt make it suitable for breeding either.

However, just because it is capable of doing well in the ring doesnt make it suitable for breeding either.

Maybe Mystiqview only puts into the ring what she would happy to use in a breeding program? I know that is the case with me

Maybe Mystiqview only puts into the ring what she would happy to use in a breeding program? I know that is the case with me

Yep thats great but you guys have a fairly decent sized gene pool and not that many real big deals to have to work with. You also clearly have as a big thing on you list of priorities sucess in the show ring - not every one has the same goals in their breeding program. All things are not equal in all breeds.

Edited by Steve

some interesting replies ....

well ... I most certainly DO charge more for a main registered puppy.... having said that I'm not talking 8-10 weeks ...

I have a waiting list for show potential pups and anything considered suitable is run on for longer, so YES .. a lot more effort

is put into pups that I consider good enough to be shown and included in a future breeding programme.

I breed for myself. No one else. To date I have been working towards getting what I think is show worthy. It has taken me a few generations to do this and I am finally having some success in the ring with my dogs.

Not everyone starts out with the best stock in the world. I started out with an honest bitch, not really classed as show material. But I have proven in a couple of generations, I have now some dogs that can hold their own in the ring. I am still small time, and not a real threat to the real die hards out there. At least I am out there where I can campaigning my dogs and coming home with some wins.

I have worked hard to get where I am today. I will continue to work hard to improve what I have. The last thing I want is some two bit back yard breeder getting a hold of my work because my line DOES carry colour to breed it only for colour and trash the lines I have worked hard to get and use.

If I allowed my dogs to go to one of those "breeders" not only would I be doing the breed a disservice, but also myself as I then would not have access to any decent dogs to improve my own breeding program. One thing I have noticed since being in the breed, as soon as you do the wrong thing and allow your dog to go to the wrong person or dog, you are cut off from decent dogs and breeders.

For me show quality is TEMPERAMENT, structure, health and again temperament. I prefer to sell my puppies to pet homes where there is no expectations that it MUST be a show winner or the next sporting champion.

Yep thats great but you guys have a fairly decent sized gene pool and not that many real big deals to have to work with. You also clearly have as a big thing on you list of priorities sucess in the show ring - not every one has the same goals in their breeding program. All things are not equal in all breeds.

I never said it was. However, you replied to Mystiqview's post so I was assuming you meant the breed that Mystiqview is attached to?

For future reference you may also like to note, that whilst I DO show my dogs, I believe there is a lot more to them than being "Show Dogs". My husband actually does agility with them as well so I would prefer mine to be all rounders rather than just "show dogs".

Not sure that's what you meant but thought I'd clear that up

I breed for myself. No one else. To date I have been working towards getting what I think is show worthy. It has taken me a few generations to do this and I am finally having some success in the ring with my dogs.

Not everyone starts out with the best stock in the world. I started out with an honest bitch, not really classed as show material. But I have proven in a couple of generations, I have now some dogs that can hold their own in the ring. I am still small time, and not a real threat to the real die hards out there. At least I am out there where I can campaigning my dogs and coming home with some wins.

I have worked hard to get where I am today. I will continue to work hard to improve what I have. The last thing I want is some two bit back yard breeder getting a hold of my work because my line DOES carry colour to breed it only for colour and trash the lines I have worked hard to get and use.

If I allowed my dogs to go to one of those "breeders" not only would I be doing the breed a disservice, but also myself as I then would not have access to any decent dogs to improve my own breeding program. One thing I have noticed since being in the breed, as soon as you do the wrong thing and allow your dog to go to the wrong person or dog, you are cut off from decent dogs and breeders.

For me show quality is TEMPERAMENT, structure, health and again temperament. I prefer to sell my puppies to pet homes where there is no expectations that it MUST be a show winner or the next sporting champion.

Yes I'd agree with this as well. Temperament is a HUGE priority for us as well. Most of our litters go to pet homes and like you I would rather fill a pet order than a show order any day. Health and temperament are the most important thing to me.

Yes I do charge more,

twice the price for a pup going unendorsed and in single ownership - overseas.

Reason: these puppies represent my breeding program (years of learning, reading, selecting the right dogs) and will be used for breeding in the future.

Most of my pups go to hunters so they aren't worried about breeding.....

Haven't sold an unendorsed (ie: main register) pup here in NZ yet.........

Edited by Hotwyr

Hi there, I was just wondering the general opinion on pricing of puppies... main vs limited register... and whether you charge more.

As a breeder, I'm on the search for a Main Reg pup and have so far been quoted up to 50% more to have a pup on Main Register.

Don't be fooled into thinking that one methodology is more right than another -

it doesn't matter what I or other breeders do or don't do - each breeder is different;

all that is ultimately relevant is what the breeder of your preferred puppy does.

I charge quite a bit more for a Main Registered puppy Vs Limited Registered puppy.

You're paying for bloodlines, knowledge, travel, importing, extra support, guarantees etc

even at 2500 - 3000 per pup

you are getting a bargain.

For me the notion that all pups cost the same to raise and therefore all pups are equal in price is a furphy.

Works for some, good for them.

Doesn't work for me, so I don't do it.

Hi there, I was just wondering the general opinion on pricing of puppies... main vs limited register... and whether you charge more.

As a breeder, I'm on the search for a Main Reg pup and have so far been quoted up to 50% more to have a pup on Main Register.

it doesn't matter what I or other breeders do or don't do - each breeder is different;

all that is ultimately relevant is what the breeder of your preferred puppy does.

I charge quite a bit more for a Main Registered puppy Vs Limited Registered puppy.

You're paying for bloodlines, knowledge, travel, importing, extra support, guarantees etc

For me the notion that all pups cost the same to raise and therefore all pups are equal in price is a furphy.

Rare breeds like yours that involve a lot of imports are a whole different scenario to numerically strong breeds like ours. The op is after a show Border Collie and this is a breed with practically no imports. We export far more than import because Australia has the best show Borders in the world. I think most breeders charge considerably more if they export a dog for breeding because they are losing that dog from their gene pool here and the breed costs much more anyway in the countries we export to. BCs sold locally though are all sold at the same price regardless of register and colour. We prefer not to penalise anyone that wants to show by charging them more and if they don't want to show they don't get a main register dog. Getting new showies into a breed with big numbers is very difficult because it is so hard for a novice to win even a class with a good dog, let alone title it. A rare breed can go out week in week out, pick up points and end up in the group line-up even if it is mediocre, so showing them is a lot more appealing to a newcomer.

Rare breeds like yours that involve a lot of imports are a whole different scenario to numerically strong breeds like ours. The op is after a show Border Collie and this is a breed with practically no imports. We export far more than import because Australia has the best show Borders in the world. I think most breeders charge considerably more if they export a dog for breeding because they are losing that dog from their gene pool here and the breed costs much more anyway in the countries we export to. BCs sold locally though are all sold at the same price regardless of register and colour. We prefer not to penalise anyone that wants to show by charging them more and if they don't want to show they don't get a main register dog. Getting new showies into a breed with big numbers is very difficult because it is so hard for a novice to win even a class with a good dog, let alone title it. A rare breed can go out week in week out, pick up points and end up in the group line-up even if it is mediocre, so showing them is a lot more appealing to a newcomer.

Still the 'we' mentality.

You cant speak for all breeders of bcs in all circumstances,

no matter how many you talk to around the show ring or out and about.

You and your mentors and associates, friends, bc social circle

do what suits your own collective -

it still has no bearing on whether the bc breeder who goes their own way and bucks the trend is doing the wrong/right thing.

Edited by lilli

IMO it's a nonsense.

I was speaking to a puppy owner on the weekend who paid $1500 for a limited register pup with the assurance if later he wanted to transfer to main register there would be no problem.

That transfer only took place after he parted with another $500.

There are plenty of examples out there like that where the breeders are not 'up front' with the buyers.

There are no implied guarantees of show quality pups with Main Register registration, so what's the problem?

My puppies all go for the same price regardless of the registration they are on. I put most of my puppies on Ltd initially and tell their owner's if they decide they wish to show and breed down the track they can come back to me to discuss upgrading the pup to Main register, on the condition the pup is show quality and passes health checks at 12mths of age (for no extra charge). I also sometimes give puppies away for free to people who have previously had one of mine or people who are willing to sign a contract allowing us to breed/show the dog if pup matures and is worth doing so (only if i really trust them) I find it is a great way to broaden our kennel's line without having a dozen or more dogs here competing for our attention. I also will not penalise someone wanting a show dog by charging them more money for it.