How And When Do Your Dogs Go To Bed?

shyfig

Our dogs go to bed when I go to bed.

There is a set routine: outside for a wee, then wait at the bottom of the stairs before being released, where both dogs race upstairs and straight into their beds - Jindi into her crate and Henschke into his bed. Treat given, then sleep. Sometime in the night Henschke will ask to come up on the bed and he will then sleep with us.

It's interesting how quickly dogs get into a routine. We are looking after my sister's dog, a minature poodle and when she stayed with us last time, I got her into the routine of jumping into her bed at night for a treat. This time, she did the exact same thing, ran upstairs and then waited until I put her bed down, where she then jumped in and I gave her a treat and off to sleep she went.

Edited by poochmad

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pia goes to bed whenever she feels like it. Generally I think she starts to get cold, so she takes herself off to our bed or one of the kids beds and gets under the covers. :o The other dogs go when we go. I always take them out to the toilet just before I go to bed and then again first thing in the morning.

Kyojin goes to bed whenever we go to bed. This could be 9pm or 2am etc (though 9pm is much more likely for us :o ) He sleeps in his crate in the bedroom with us. If I start turning off lights he knows that this means bedtime so a lot of the time he'll put himself to bed.

Smooch sleeps all day on the lounge if I am inside, only goes outside to do his business. He goes to bed when I do, he sleeps with me. We live in a shed converted to a flat and there is a door between the rest of the shed and our living quarters. I have a doggy toilet set up in the shed, Smooch opens the door both ways, goes out does what he has to and than comes back to bed. I do half wake up when he opens the door.

Our tibbies always have been creatures of habit. As if they've got a routine program in their heads.

As I'm clearing up after dinner, I always notice...No Tibbies. They've taken themselves off to bed & are sound asleep. Around about 10.30 pm, they get woken up to go outside to the toilet. As soon as they hear me say, 'Last trip to the toot!', they wake up & stagger out like sleepwalkers. Then they fall back into bed.

They wake themselves about 6.00 am & can take themselves out thro the doggie door. Depends on the weather, what happens next. Cold, wet weather, back they go to bed. Lovely sunshiney morning, they go out to potter around the back yard. Annie lies patiently at the back fence waiting for her greyhound friends to get up.

When we have other friends' tibbies come to stay, they automatically fall into the same routine. One reason why it's so easy to look after them. They look after each other.

Edited by mita

D generally goes to bed when I goto bed on a school night, but for weekend he will sometimes put himself to bed and be anti social if we are staying up late

His routine is to go out for a pee, and then I move his bed to my bedroom, he drops on it and gets two biscuits and then while I'm doing all my ablutions he gets up for a drink and then jumps on my bed to soak up some electric blanket and then he'll get shoved to one side and eventually he climbs off and sleeps on his bed :)

He likes his routine

Usually when i head to bed, i say 'lets go to bed' and they get up and follow me

However the JRT will often put herself to bed if i am up late or it is cold, she just toddles off and when i go to bed she is in either her bed or on mine

Mine are put in their crates between 9.30 and 10pm. They are let out between 6.30 and 7.30 am. We have only been crating them for a few weeks now and they are much more settled. I get a full nights sleep and dont have to worry about barking and night time.

How old were your dogs when they started sleeping in crates and do the crates live in your bedroom or somewhere else?

My sister's dog spends most of her time on my sister's bed keeping an ear out for danger regardless of where the rest of us are, day or night. We call her snob but she is just doing the guard job she has in our pack. Basically there are beds and soft crates in 5 different areas of my house so if I am on the computer then my two dogs are crashed out here but if I am watching tv then they are crashed down in the tv room - mostly on the lounge taking up my valuable space! They only get up if I look like I am permanently doing something elsewhere. My bed time varies and since they just follow me they come to bed whenever I do and sleep on the bed with me. When we've had visitors and I've slept on the lounge they have no problem and don't seem confused as it is really wherever I am that they are. We have no before bed wee routine as my older dog gets me up three times every night to drink and pee anyway so there's no point.

It's so interesting reading of everyone's experiences. All these doggies have routines and sound like they are very well trained!

Well my boy is a pain in the butt still to trust at night while I'm asleep. Initially he'd sleep on the end of my bed from about 5 mths to 8 mths no worries. But with more serious run ins with my cats he has to be tethered to my bed so he can still sleep on the end of my bed but is unable to chase my 2 cats or destroy the house...yes still bench surfs...floors, bed, bathroom, table,kitchen etc, etc.

For anyone concerned about the tethering he is fine...can't accidentally hurt himself.

He quite accepts the arrangement and sometimes the cats will sleep a little closer to him because they know he can't touch :thumbsup: them

Will be buying a crate in the next couple of weeks but I will miss having him on my bed :thumbsup:

Mine are put in their crates between 9.30 and 10pm. They are let out between 6.30 and 7.30 am. We have only been crating them for a few weeks now and they are much more settled. I get a full nights sleep and dont have to worry about barking and night time.

How old were your dogs when they started sleeping in crates and do the crates live in your bedroom or somewhere else?

Our youngest is crated, he's been in it from day one. His crate is in our room, next to the door. He's nearly 2, and we've started letting him stay 'out' on weekends. He doesn't like being on the floor on the mat, wants to be on the bed... so he eventually cracks the sads and puts himself in his crate :thumbsup:

They go to bed when we go... B into his crate and D to his mat at the foot of the bed. B knows he gets on the bed for cuddles, then when we say 'bedtime' and one of us gets up to put him away, he'll hop off and go to his crate.. but if we don't get up then he won't move. Some nights if we go to bed really late, he'll go to his crate and wait for us to shut the door. If we don't shut it he won't stay in... I don't even lock it anymore, he just feels 'safe' with it shut :thumbsup:

Our dogs don't have "bedtime" or a specific sleeping routine. They just do whatever they want when it comes to sleeping. Sometimes they sleep in their crates, sometimes just on the kitchen floor and other times outside.

Mine go to bed about 9.30 to 10pm, just tell them its bedtime and they are happy to go to their beds in the other room. They start snoozing in the lounge room around 8 any way. Wake up is around 7am, I mostly dont use an alarm, they rarely let me down.

Our dogs go to bed when the last person up does, which is usually me. They started out sleeping in our room in a crate as puppies and graduated to being able to choose where they wanted to sleep once we felt they were trustworthy in the house. Both tried very hard to choose the bed to sleep on, but we have some fairly convoluted rules about when dogs are allowed on the bed. They are not allowed to settle there for the night. They have both found all the loopholes, though. Kivi sneaks up in the dead of the night and I wake up with him in my arms giving me kisses without any recollection of how he got there. Erik figures the bed is a possibility any time someone has gotten up and then gone back to bed. So if OH gets up to go to the toilet at 4am, as far as Erik is concerned he's allowed to get on the bed.

My dog is almost permanently in bed :) He does what he wants.

In the evening he either sleeps on his bed in the lounge, on the couch beside me or goes on to my bed. If he's out with me he'll follow me to the bedroom and go on his bed. He comes up on the bed in the early hours. Most mornings he stays in bed until after I have had a shower and start making sounds in the kitchen.

Today his routine was - went to bed about midnight, got up some time in the night for a feed and pee, back to bed until 11am, moved to the couch, moved back to the bed, moved to the couch and by 3pm had not gone outside or eaten. Between 3pm and 7pm he went outside and stole some cupcakes off the bench in my absence :) . Since 7pm he ate dinner and has been asleep on the couch or his bed.

It's a tough life :)

My dog is almost permanently in bed :) He does what he wants.

In the evening he either sleeps on his bed in the lounge, on the couch beside me or goes on to my bed. If he's out with me he'll follow me to the bedroom and go on his bed. He comes up on the bed in the early hours. Most mornings he stays in bed until after I have had a shower and start making sounds in the kitchen.

Today his routine was - went to bed about midnight, got up some time in the night for a feed and pee, back to bed until 11am, moved to the couch, moved back to the bed, moved to the couch and by 3pm had not gone outside or eaten. Between 3pm and 7pm he went outside and stole some cupcakes off the bench in my absence :) . Since 7pm he ate dinner and has been asleep on the couch or his bed.

It's a tough life :)

Oh my that's just the funniest recount .....obviously your boy needs to sleep hard during the day so he has enough energy to sleep even harder at night :laugh: