My 3 Y.o Dog Has All Of A Sudden Started Being Agressive! Please H

I have an amazing Dogue De Bordeaux, everyone who has met him has loved him. His always been fantastic with all people and animals big and small. All of a sudden, his barking at people he can see through our back door, very aggressively (that have been to our house many times) and when his off leash at a fenced of area and someone is on the other side of that fence he get very aggressive at them. The other weekend at an off leash beach, he chased a man going past on a motor bike and was biting at the tires! This man man stopped to avoid running over him, and my dog nipped his leg :). I was mortified beyond belief. His never done any of this before! His become extremely protective of me, he will block my 2 year old from being able to get close to me. His as much part of our family as the rest of us. I'm now worried to take him for walks or let him off the leash, and even struggle to let my children go outside without me anymore (that's just me 'being safe not sorry') re-homing him isn't an option for me, please someone any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Because the onset to this has been so sudden, my first and foremost advice would be for you to get him to a Vet for a thorough check up, including a full body blood work-up. I'd also include a thyroid test BUT for this I'd have that component of the test sent to Dr Jean Dodds in the USA for testing (far more thorough and ID's thyroid issues earlier than our tests are capable of). Also include an eye sight check. Let the Vet know the reason for the health check and allow him to muzzle him. This is primarily for the Vet's safety but also for the sake of your dog - by preventing an unexpected bite you are stopping your dog learning it any more than he already might.

After this, then a behaviourist consult.

Because you've not written it, I am presuming there have been no events that your dog might have perceived as threatening or traumatic that has occurred from people passing by ???

I am also assuming there has been absolutely no earlier signs of this behaviour building from something that might at first appear benign but has been misread? That's how I read your post.

ETA: Is your dog familiar with bicycles/wheels?

Edited by Erny

Because the onset to this has been so sudden, my first and foremost advice would be for you to get him to a Vet for a thorough check up, including a full body blood work-up. I'd also include a thyroid test BUT for this I'd have that component of the test sent to Dr Jean Dodds in the USA for testing (far more thorough and ID's thyroid issues earlier than our tests are capable of). Also include an eye sight check. Let the Vet know the reason for the health check and allow him to muzzle him. This is primarily for the Vet's safety but also for the sake of your dog - by preventing an unexpected bite you are stopping your dog by learning it anymore than he already might.

After this, then a behaviourist consult.

Because you've not written it, I am presuming there have been no events that your dog might have perceived as threatening or traumatic that has occurred from people passing by ???

I am also assuming there has been absolutely no earlier signs of this behaviour building from something that might at first appear benign but has been misread? That's how I read your post.

ETA: Is your dog familiar with bicycles/wheels?

Thank you! I'll make an appointment with my vet today.

We moved states (from Vic to WA) about a year ago, he flew with us. We could see them loading him into the plane, he was very distressed and barking and biting at the cage. This is the first his every barked at someone like this, but i didn't think much of it as so much was new for him that day (put in a cage, handled by strangers without me there, the airport etc) since that he has been fine, and as i said that was over a year ago. No passes by incidents though. And it used to be that if someone walked past (him being the only dogue in our town) everyone would give him a pat and compliment him, he was always fine with it, and on the leash i still think he is (I'm not gain to test it anymore) It just appears that off leash that his aggressive behavior starts.

He walks with us with our son riding a bicycle, and daughter in the pram. His fine with the lawn mower (these are the only wheels i can think of) Our neighbors have motor bikes, and his fine with them when his on leash. This was the first time his seen one off leash, and the first time he wouldn't come back when called!

There are some people on DOL who may be able to recommend a Behaviourist in WA for you. But when it comes to aggression, there's no mucking around with it. You'll be a lot more comfortable and confident with some sound one-on-one direction from someone who is experienced and who you know has met your dog and yourself. And you're doing great to get on to it as quickly as you are. The degree of success is much higher when problematic behaviours are not left to fester and become ingrained.

You need immediate professional help. I would go to the vets first to check if there was a physical cause. If no one can suggest a trainer over there I would contact the police dog squad to see if they will assess him. They did this for a friend here in Victoria.

Until you get help I would not be letting the dog off lead. I would not be letting the dog and kids be in the same room, even if you are there. If walking on lead you need to make sure that the dog is not going to be able to get away from you. If you can get a muzzle on his head I would be doing that.

You are very lucky the guy on the motor bike didn't press charges.

Good luck!

Having to had surrender a dog for biting one of my daughters on the face, I can really empathise. I would be so worried about him not letting your 2 year old approach you, to the point that I would actually not be comfortable having the dog and the children together at all, ever, until I had the dog assessed.

It's an awful predicament. You must protect our children, and you are driven to protect you dog also. But if aggression is an issue and you have a 2 year old in the house, there are tough decisions to be made ;)

Thank you all for your replies!

I've got an appointment at the vet for Wednesday, i have a trainer traveling 5 hours on Tuesday to come assess him, and am working on a muzzle!

Until I've had his assessed I'm not going to let him off leash, nor on leash, or have him near the kids. His an outside dog so the kids are safe inside. It's not just my daughter he doesn't let near me, he stands in between myself any anyone, it is just more noticeable with her because she is always with me, it's not in an aggressive way (no growling or barking) he just simply creates a barrier between everyone and myself (I'm most definitely not making excuses for him, this behavior is unacceptable). Again this has only recently started, he used to follow my son around like a shadow, but with my son starting school this year his not outside as much so i think his just taken to me more.

I dread the words the trainer and vet may say, but if it is him or my children there is obviously no choice. ;)

His become extremely protective of me, he will block my 2 year old from being able to get close to me.

That isn't being protective.

You need professional help asap.

Agree with this - sorry, it was an important point that in my haste to leave for an appointment, I missed.

Couple your dog's actions along with his age, I'm suspicious there is more 'out of balance' at home than meets the eye. A good behaviourist should be able to spot that and properly advise you.

ETA: Read your last post - you have done an excellent job in acting so quickly ;) . Is it a trainer or trainer/behaviourist or behaviourist that you are getting out?

Try not to stress too much - there may well be a good chance that matters won't come to the worst as you currently dread and it may not be all that bad. You're just doing all the right things at the moment to manage and prevent injury on the "just in case" basis that it could happen. Your trainer/behaviourist should be able to advise.

Edited by Erny

;)

Thank you all for your replies!

I've got an appointment at the vet for Wednesday, i have a trainer traveling 5 hours on Tuesday to come assess him, and am working on a muzzle!

Until I've had his assessed I'm not going to let him off leash, nor on leash, or have him near the kids. His an outside dog so the kids are safe inside. It's not just my daughter he doesn't let near me, he stands in between myself any anyone, it is just more noticeable with her because she is always with me, it's not in an aggressive way (no growling or barking) he just simply creates a barrier between everyone and myself (I'm most definitely not making excuses for him, this behavior is unacceptable). Again this has only recently started,

he used to follow my son around like a shadow, but with my son starting school this year his not outside as much so i think his just taken to me more.

I dread the words the trainer and vet may say, but if it is him or my children there is obviously no choice. :rofl:

this could be the key or part of it to the change in his behaviour, over the nest few days try to wright down any changes in your routine that will also help the trainer to help you. Take care M

Actually sounds like a typical male Dogue. He was put in an extremely stressful situation, reacted at a very high level and now being a mature male he's running the show. Which lines is he out of?

By the way did maybe someone try and break in and you didnt realise it? Now he's reacting to everything?

Let me guess - is he not desexed?

Dogues dont do well as outside only - they want to constantly interact with the family and be near you. Now you say your son is not outside as much, well to the dog that can be shifting the pack dynamic totally as he's not interacting with him much. The dog is obviously stressed and is clinging to you as much as he can when you do go outside, maybe he's becoming more frightened of being alone as well?

Edited by Nekhbet

Actually sounds like a typical male Dogue. He was put in an extremely stressful situation, reacted at a very high level and now being a mature male he's running the show. Which lines is he out of?

By the way did maybe someone try and break in and you didnt realise it? Now he's reacting to everything?

Dogues dont do well as outside only - they want to constantly interact with the family and be near you. Now you say your son is not outside as much, well to the dog that can be shifting the pack dynamic totally as he's not interacting with him much. The dog is obviously stressed and is clinging to you as much as he can when you do go outside, maybe he's becoming more frightened of being alone as well?

The breeders kennel name is Hoochesrus,

It's funny you mention that someone may have tried to break in, we have 2 driveways to our property, and the second one comes along the side of our house. He sleeps under the fully enclosed outside area beside our house which has a window that the second driveway goes along. Someone was peeking in the second window the other week. Our dog went crazy, which woke me and i seen the man running off. Could this be something to do with it??

His not desexed, we never thought we would have to, but if it comes to it needing to be done then it will be.

His house trained, only went outside when our daughter was born because he was always playing with our son inside which made was just to dangerous with a new born on the floor. We are now renting while our house is being built, and it's a part of our agreement that his not allowed inside. Once the house is done he will be inside again.

We now think after all the results come back from the vet, and the trainer that's coming, we may get another dog for some company for him? Do you think this is going to help him not feel so lonely??

The trainer we have coming is from bark busters, she believes she can help us, and offers a lifetime guarantee so if there is no improvement or new problems arise they come for free. So fingers crossed she only has to come once!!

Again thank you all for your advice!!!

What qualifications does this lady from Bark Busters have? Personally find yourself someone with experience that goes beyond buying a dog training Franchise and following some rediculous, outdated and sometimes dangerous practices. Plenty of people on here will give you references for good behaviourists.

Desexing at this stage wont really make a difference now, he's mature, he has the habits set I just made an educated guess :cheer: Because obviously he has had people snooping, he has not been able to see them properly and frightened them off with his barking (self rewarding behaviour) you now see how he really feels... he is uncomfortable and his barking at the door to make your 'guests' go away is because he cannot recognise them and is exhibiting a behaviour he knew has worked.

Your Dogue wants you, not another dog. If this lady does not have experience with mastiff breeds or aggression/aggressive responses PROPERLY please find someone else, even at a pinch someone who has experience with working dogs like german shepherds and malinois etc to show you how to control him, build that trust between the two of you and the rest of the family again. You would be better off in the mean time just spending as much time as you can with him but with parameters, dont baby him, do some obedience in the back yard, play with him etc. If he's a light sleeper get him a solid steel crate and put him in that at night, covered, and sometimes a tiny nightlight in there can help too, or a radio on next to him so it's not just totally quiet.

Dont panic, just find the right person. If you were still in Vic I would be over in a flash :cheer: I have a big squish of my own and have dealt with a few others, they're a breed that is consistent in their personality traits.

DSC00435-1.jpg

come on we need a photo :hug:

Agree with Nekhbet here. Also sounds like resource guarding to me. He would have just reached maturity.

As others have suggested, get a good trainer/behaviourist out to see you. :cheer:

Agree with RallyValley....Kathy would be my first choice here. Lifetime guarantees don't really mean much if they stuff up your dog...

I would be wary of Bark Busters... for a serious issue like this I would call Kathy, if she can't come I am sure she will recommend someone who can and who is capable and qualified. http://www.kathysdogtraining.com.au/