Hsus President New Book Review

shortstep

Hypocrisy of "The Bond"

“I don’t have a hands-on fondness for animals…To this day I don’t feel bonded to any non-human animal. I like them and I pet them and I’m kind to them, but there’s no special bond between me and other animals.”

Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 251.

When asked if he envisioned a future without pets, "If I had my personal view, perhaps that might take hold. In fact, I don’t want to see another dog or cat born."

Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 266.

Wayne Pacelle's book comes out today.

The book's cover presents the image of a girl hugging a dog, juxtaposed with the name Wayne Pacelle, and the title in bold "The Bond".

My, oh my! What a conundrum. It must have been difficult to find a fitting cover image for this book. Since Wayne, vegan president of HSUS, admits that he has never owned a pet, and per an LA Times article in 2008, couldn't even bring himself to touch his girlfriend's cat, just what sort of "BOND" or kinship can this huckster actually have with any animal?

NONE!

Obviously, we don't have any pictures of HIM hugging a pet.

A bond is a tie; one that you might expect between a husband and wife, or between a parent and child, or between a person and pet. A sort of special kinship that implies an intimate connection.

Wayne, when you become a puppy raiser for guide dogs for the blind, you can then write with authority about a selfless "bond."

Most of us who keep and raise pets are very familiar with that bond. We live, sleep, eat, and breathe right along with our animals. We care for them when they are sick or injured. We sit up all night with newborns. We train them as herders, hunters, guides, protectors, and companions.

Our bond with animals extends beyond the owner-pet bond, to the time-honored practices of farming and hunting. In the tradition of native Americans, we appreciate our animals, and are grateful for the life-sustaining meat, milk, eggs, cheese, leather, fur, wool, and feathers they provide us.

Yet, when interviewed for the LA Times in 2008, Wayne's parting comment was:

"Animals for the most part just need to be left alone."

Does this comment describe a Bond? No. It is the comment of one who has never had a pet, never lived on a farm; of someone who has a rock where his heart belongs.

It's the comment you'd expect from one who urges shelters to kill their animals.

We'd expect to hear it from the president of the HSUS, a group that lobbies incessantly for laws that make it increasingly more difficult and more expensive to own animals. They work tirelessly to BREAK the human-animal bond!

It's the sort of comment you'd expect to hear from the cold, calculated mind of a businessman; a con man whose sole interest in animals is to exploit them for personal gain.

Yep. Wayne and his HSUS exploit animals. Big time! To the tune of over a hundred million dollars every year!. Wayne and his minions at HSUS are experts in animal exploitation. And hawking "The Bond" continues in that tradition.

Exploiting animals for money! Isn't that the criticism that HSUS throws at the rest of society? Gosh, even MORE hypocrisy.

Some things never change.

More on the link to read.

http://time4dogs.blogspot.com/2011/04/hypocrisy-of-bond.html

Important to understand this as it will go international and will be influencing large numbers of people, this book will sell well in Australia.

Know thy enemy!!!!

Edited by shortstep

Had never heard of this person, so googled it, and came up with a youtube video of Wayne talking about the book, but also on the same site as the video was a video called "The Dark side of HSUS" Part 1, a speech given by Frank Losey about the real HSUS, scarey stuff, I haven't watched it all yet and what I have heard already makes my skin crawl.

The attack now starts in earnest in the USA. Being lead by a man who has never owned an animal, refused to pet his girlfreinds cats and has said he want no more cats of dogs every born.

http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2011/04/pure...umane+Nation%29

But perhaps the biggest dog welfare issue in America is the reckless breeding of purebred dogs, which produces an incredible laundry list of inherited disorders, congenital health problems, and welfare concerns for the animals. In The Bond, I take this issue head-on, calling out the American Kennel Club and other breed registry groups for their mania in valuing the exterior appearance of the animals rather than the underlying health and wellness of the dogs. (I also document their consistent opposition to legislation to crack down on puppy mills and to establish humane care standards for dogs.)

Kathy Milani/The HSUS

On April 28-29, at its inaugural conference, “The Purebred Paradox,” the Humane Society Institute for Science and Policy (HSISP) will tackle the subject of purebred dog health and welfare with the help of a distinguished group of scientists, veterinarians, and others with outstanding expertise in the field of canine genetics and health.

The HSISP conference, co-sponsored with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Center for the Interaction of Animals and Society of the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Veterinary Medicine, will focus on the health and welfare problems stemming from poor breeding practices. Inherited diseases, disorders, and body malformations produce shortened life spans, chronic pain, and a diminished quality of life for dogs—and they land the animals, if their owners have the resources, in the hospital for multiple veterinary procedures and for the convalescence required.

Just two weeks ago, Delta followed the lead of many other airlines in not allowing bulldogs to be shipped in cargo, because the dogs simply cannot breathe well with their flattened noses and faces and they are susceptible to death on flights. I love bulldogs, and have known many of these wonderful animals through the years, but they are only the most extreme example of how breeding for certain physical characteristics leaves the animals in a weakened and compromised health circumstance every day, throughout their lives.

Until very recently, the AKC and its British counterpart, the Kennel Club, have had no health and welfare standards in their judging contests, just conformation standards for the breeds. Likewise, there were no restrictions on the practice of breeding together closely related dogs. Under pressure from the RSPCA and other animal-welfare groups, the U.K.-based Kennel Club has taken some good steps toward reform in the last two years, and the AKC needs to do the same. The AKC has been beholden to large-scale commercial breeders that pay license fees for registration, but that conflict must not stop this organization from doing the right thing for dogs.

In recent years, the AKC has made some meaningful financial investment into research into canine health issues tied to breeding. But this is a dog welfare crisis of the highest order, and now we must see not only the application of this research, but also common-sense principles and an end to unacceptable conformation standards. The AKC has to begin to sync up its rhetoric about caring for dogs with its actions.

Every dog lover should be on the same page on this issue, and no one—least of all those in the world of the dog fancy—should settle for anything less than the highest health standards for the animals we love so much.

Edited by shortstep

• 2 weeks later...

my copy of the "The Bond" arrived yesterday, I have yet to read it, when I have done so then I can make my own mind up regarding its contents and general message rather than have a viewpoint of the whole book just based on selected snippets

Donna

my copy of the "The Bond" arrived yesterday, I have yet to read it, when I have done so then I can make my own mind up regarding its contents and general message rather than have a viewpoint of the whole book just based on selected snippets

Donna

"Lie down with dogs and expect to get fleas" ???

Our buddy, purebred dog savior? and not to be confused as an animal rights extremist Jememia Harrison, speaks at the H$U$ conference. Are the coffers low so it is a case of one must do what one must do? No I think not.

True believers are so caught up in their mission to save the world, that they will do just about anything to shove their personal dreams down everyone else's reality throats. Including laying down with dogs and getting up just covered in fleas.

Jememia has had some real success in the UK and Australia is sure to follow along obediently. But her home the USA and the AKC have not paid much attention despite her best efforts. What she needs is big money and big organizations such as H$U$ that can put up the money and publicity to get things done in the USA and AKC. Who cares about getting fleas if that is what it takes, eh?

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2011/04/purebred-paradox-to-go-or-not-to-go.html

Then we have those at the H$U$, animal rights extremist, does it matter? Depends only on who they are asking for a donation at the time. Vegans please help us enlighten the world? Committed animal rights folks opposed to domestic animal ownership and use? Or just concerned folks who really want us to think they fund that animal shelter down the road (that they have nothing to do with), so please buy our books and donate more money to so we can 'save animals'? Simply what ever they are pretending to be at the moment, but what we do know for sure is they certainly do know how to raise money. Valued at over 200 million! and an active funder of PETA.

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2011/04/hsus-donors-are-flushing-their-money.html

Then throw in the UK RSPCA for a good roll to pick up even more fleas, and hope the pot is sufficiently stirred in the USA.

http://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-formers/press-releases/animal-welfare/rspca-urgent-action-on-dog-health-is-also-needed-in-the-united-states-$21388554$366366.htm

RSPCA: Urgent action on dog health is also needed in the United States

Pedigree dog health and welfare is the focus of leading scientists and

animal welfare experts at an international conference in Washington DC,

co-sponsored by the RSPCA.

The Humane Society Institute for Science and Policy, part of the Humane

Society of the United States (HSUS), is organizing the conference and

chose pedigree dog breeding as its subject because they believe it is an

urgent animal welfare issue in the USA. Read link for more.

And what to make of this, I am confused. From reading the information on your post, you a committed vegan, a dog show judge and Saint Bernard breeder. A breed listed on the top 15 hit list of pedigreed dog breeding welfare concerns thanks to the RSPCA, Jememia and now H$U$. Sending your money to buy a book written by someone who had never owned a pet dog in his life, and this money will help line the pockets of the U$H$ folks who are bent on destroying your Saint breed and your dogs shows at the very least and most would say they have a lot more in mind than just that. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Well lets see what has been said recently about Saints. Ah yes, concerning the breed standard changes on height not being enough. As it does not set a upper limit only a lower limited (opps they missed point I guess).

Bigger is not better....

The Berne Natural History Museum in Switzerland has extensive data on the St Bernard dating back to the 1800s. The UK breed standard for the St. Bernard now specifies a minimum shoulder height of 75cm (30in) for dogs and 70cm (27.5in) for bitches and they weigh 65-85kg (143-187lb). But a typical 19th century dog was approximately 60 cm (20in) high and weighed less than 50 kg (110lb) . It is a huge increase.

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2011/04/bigger-is-not-always-better.html

I read today an idea presented that all breeds that have less than 100 pups born a year be removed from the KC's stud books. They be assigned to a seperate registry for endangered breeds where there is oversight by a board to direct the breeding programs, either to restore the breed or to control what happens as it fades out. Now there's just a dandy idea and certainly looking towards the future.

Happy reading. :confused:

Edited by shortstep