Stricture Repaired & Male Still Can't Get In ?

Christina

Any experience or advice please.

Toy poodle, vaginal stricture, repaired a few months ago. On heat at 4 & a half months after last, same as my other 2 girls.

The stud is very experienced & excellent. He just can't get in.

She was a bit unwilling yesterday so I only tried twice but today she is standing, flagging & has been mounting the other 2 girls. Other 2 girls already mated. She is not quite as eager & horny as the 2 tarts are but is a maiden bitch.

The male is eager.

I phoned the vet who could not come to the phone but via vet nurse said he could AI her.

Don't want to do this. If he can't get in pups can't get out for sure & I don't want her to have a ceasarian. I only mate natural & easy to whelp, the unexpected can happen accidently, I don't want it on purpose.

I have given her a little tranquil paste to relax her & put her to him 4 times for a few short tries, hoping he may loosen her up. Don't want him bruised or damaged but doubt he would be so silly ? Could it be that she is not quite ready ? Can the dog penetrate if she isn't ? I would think so. Do I put her with him over the next few days if she is willing or is it all just a waste of time & frustration for the male ?

Any knowledgeable input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Can you put a clean pair of gloves on and insert a finger into the bitch yourself to check?? If not, and if you cant get the vet out now, i would just keep trying until she is finished. Good luck

Specific questions I need answering

Why would the vet come out ? :)

Yes I have put on gloves & felt inside her. Little finger only goes in half way, she is very small.

Does this mean she is not ready ?

Or does this mean that that is just the size she is ?

Has the stricture gone ? I put her in for surgery.

If she is more ready tomorrow will she be less tight ? She is acting ready.

Will the male, if he keeps trying, make her wider ?

If you really want the mating take her into your Vet asap and have blood taken for a progesterone test, this will remove the guess-work of whether she is early, ready, or gone past. In some bitches behaviour and true oestrus are not necessarily correlated.

While she is there get the Vet to do a proper examination, if she is breedable she will feel soft and wide open with no obstruction and a clean, lubricated gloved finger will easily palpate the entire vaginal opening. If you are only getting half a little finger in it sounds as if she is not ready as that depth is possibly only the vulva.

If she is early then yes she will be less tight as she goes further into her season, however unless you progesterone test you really don't know at what stage she is at or when she will ovulate, she may have even gone past?

Could there be adhesions from the stricture surgery?

If she is standing, cooperative and appearing ready and the dog can only penetrate the vulva, just hold them together while he does his "happy dance" and continue to hold them in position for about 3-5 minutes if possible - a slip is as good as a tie provided the timing is correct. (That progesterone test again.) :)

if she is breedable she will feel soft and wide open with no obstruction and a clean, lubricated gloved finger will easily palpate the entire vaginal opening. If you are only getting half a little finger in it sounds as if she is not ready as that depth is possibly only the vulva.

If she is early then yes she will be less tight as she goes further into her season, however unless you progesterone test you really don't know at what stage she is at or when she will ovulate, she may have even gone past?

Could there be adhesions from the stricture surgery?

Thank you, helpful. :)

Simple surgery, done months ago, no cutting, so doubtful.

Early season may be misleading too.

She may not be quite ready. I'd get a prog test done too.

I have a very difficult to mate bitch here. She has had a natural mating (would only let the stud dog mate her once) and natural whelping, but have tried to mate her since and she wouldn't have a bar of my boy (but unfortunately flirted with everything else LOL)

Flare your nostrils and pinch the base of your nose. Then pinch your top lip.

Feel the difference?

If it feels like your top lip and not the bulb of your nose then its time to mate. Quicker cheaper than a prog test and Ive never known it to be wrong.

Success :o

No use day 13, 14, 15, 16. She was standing willing, experienced dog was willing. Little poke only.

Day 17 he got in but didn't tie enough to get off & turn so stayed on her back sort of stuck. Ouch my knees & back all that time on the floor supporting them

Day 18 he tied. She didn't kick up a fuss, which I was worried about a bit.

Weird. Last time I had an AI on her as I was going on a short holiday & it was day 12. Rush job & prog test result was phoned to me 2 hours later & got told she had gone past, missed her. Days were correct, very sure on timing.

Didn't realise she had the stricture at that time. Stud boy is 9, very good & never misses or gets it wrong.

Last fling for him I think so fingers crossed for a good & ceasarian free birth. I would really like something nice to keep from this mating.

Oh the joys of breeding. Was confusing to say the least.

She obviously was not ready. :laugh: :p :laugh::)

No, that wasn't quite the reason.

Being easter & the last day the vet was open & vet being busy & relaying message/conversation through nurse it was all a bit puzzling however after easter when I was there with kittens I asked what had happened.

The stricture was widened by inserting something, not cutting/surgery, in such a small animal. This means that although she was stretched internally & checked afterwards it can go tight again. This is what had happened by the time I checked her. She had the surgery a couple of months ago. The stretch is basically forced entry & hopefully the dog can get in when its time.

Does not always happen. Putting her to the stud & him gradually doing the deed over the few days & stretching her was what seemed to work.

The timing was about right & did not cause the problem. We will see the result with an ultra sound in a few weeks.

Bit hard to understand as one thinks if it is stretched it stays stretched, I did, not so.

She obviously was not ready. :laugh: :p :laugh::)

No, that wasn't quite the reason.

Being easter & the last day the vet was open & vet being busy & relaying message/conversation through nurse it was all a bit puzzling however after easter when I was there with kittens I asked what had happened.

The stricture was widened by inserting something, not cutting/surgery, in such a small animal. This means that although she was stretched internally & checked afterwards it can go tight again. This is what had happened by the time I checked her. She had the surgery a couple of months ago. The stretch is basically forced entry & hopefully the dog can get in when its time.

Does not always happen. Putting her to the stud & him gradually doing the deed over the few days & stretching her was what seemed to work.

The timing was about right & did not cause the problem. We will see the result with an ultra sound in a few weeks.

Bit hard to understand as one thinks if it is stretched it stays stretched, I did, not so.

Still looks like a timing issue to me.

• 3 weeks later...