Is That A Male Newf, I Want To Use Him To Breed

newfsie

We went to Beechworth yesterday to give Lukey some more interaction with people and just walk the dogs in the beautiful weather we are having.

We walk our dogs in public in pairs, one each, when it is very busy, like at the market. they got lots of loving and "can we take a picture with your dogs", "are they Saint Bernard's?" and "what breed are they?" And the best thing was most kids asked "can I pet your dog please?" so lovely to hear. Our four dogs love pets from kids

Good happy day for the now not so timid Lukey and happy Threesome.

We have stopped for a drink in the shade, with Lukey and Kate and a guy comes up to ask if one of our dogs is a male. He want s to breed his female. I say yes he is a male, but we would never breed to any female who is not approved by Lukey's Breeder. Guy still just says he wants to breed, has problems finding a full male. I tell him that if he really is interested, he should contact breeders and enquire and that the female should be health checked (as are Lukey and Kate). So his wife tells me she is "she has papers you know", we have them at home. I tried to explain the health checks for newfie, but I got the "dead look", they switched off and he tells me they are still going to find a male.

They didn't even ask if they could look at him properly and which one of the two was the male, as they were lying down together. Another BYB in the making, so sad.......

On a happy note also met another great newfie owner from Melbourne with an eight year old healthy looking newfie girl. And just lots of people who wanted to own a newfie or had one in the past and missed owning them :confused:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

I hear you.

I was on the main street with my Great Dane boy who was 6 months old at the time, and we happened to be outside a pet shop and the pet shop owner ran out, thrust herself on him without even asking and then got really excited when she saw his nards and said "oh I'm so excited to have seen you because now we can use him to breed puppies for our shop - Great Danes would sell like hotcakes!"

:confused: :D :) :)

hrrmmmph. Thats like the lady on FB on my local buy,swap, and sell. Shes looking for a mala pug? I think it was to mate with her pug x god knows what, because "her dog really wants to mate and she wants puppies" :confused: I think I sat there stunned for quite a while.

There seriously should be permits to breed a dog. They should start of with something simple, like filling out a 50 page form and submitting to council for a permit. THAT would put most of those people off as there even to lazy to fill out a form. Just something like that, where upon submitting your pretty much guaranteed a permit, as long as you fill out the form, would probably dwindle numbers quite considerably. Most of these people that do this sort of thing, do it because they are bored, want a bunch of cute little puppies that they don't have to look after and whom they won't have to watch grow up.

:D A lot of work goes into the gourgeous pedigree puppies that are properly bred, and these ppl just come along grab two random dogs and say "mate!" and think thats all there is to it.

I must of skipped over this part, but where did they get their dog from? A lot of breeders from here I know have oral or contract agreements stating if you are not showing/breeding the dog (which then they will usually do a proper brackground check) then you must have hte dog desexed?

But maybe I have it all wrong :) It just makes me sad when I hear people deliberately trying to breed dogs with no thought to the time, stress, money and very much hard work involved.

People should understand its a job only for professionals, and that the proper dogs are worth waiting for. There is nothing like a properly bred pedigree dog that has had years of love and dedication put into that breed. And maybe one day I will be lucky enough to own my big beautiful shaggy dream breed. Now that is very much worth waiting for.

I think most Breeders have some sort of breeders contract in the newfie world. I hope they are unsuccessful in their search. Luckily I know that we are the only male (entire) newf in this district. But you never know. Lukey is staying entire for his breeder not us. He has some different imported lines , his sire was imported. And he is very sound, fabulous hip and elbow scoring and negative for all the other medical issues.

the timidity was not a permanent character fault, because he is getting very relaxed and just loves kids, ladies and most men. Just still ducks when I go to throw a stick for the other dogs at the beginning of a new game

Some people are amazing!

I was blown away last week at the Sydney Royal Easter Show on Australian Shepherd day. I had my male Aussie on top of the trolley talking to the public as he loves people and this couple come up and ask me if he is available to stud. I gave them a funny look and let them keep talking. They went on to tell me they had a female Border Collie and they wanted to put an Australian Shepherd over her. I said a big "NO" and they continued to question me, in the end they told me they would keep asking around. I finally said to them "no one here (at the show) will agree to that". Do you think I could get it through their thick heads? Nope.

The scarier thing is, I am sure they will find a male somewhere to put over their female, and yes again, another BYB in the making...

Some people are amazing!

I was blown away last week at the Sydney Royal Easter Show on Australian Shepherd day. I had my male Aussie on top of the trolley talking to the public as he loves people and this couple come up and ask me if he is available to stud. I gave them a funny look and let them keep talking. They went on to tell me they had a female Border Collie and they wanted to put an Australian Shepherd over her. I said a big "NO" and they continued to question me, in the end they told me they would keep asking around. I finally said to them "no one here (at the show) will agree to that". Do you think I could get it through their thick heads? Nope.

The scarier thing is, I am sure they will find a male somewhere to put over their female, and yes again, another BYB in the making...

:laugh: its sad really.

terribly sad.. Gumtree is one place to look if you want to see peoples true stupidity.. someone wants either a german shep or an alaskan mal to mate over the other breed... WHAT! If the RSPCA wasnt so against purebred dogs (twats) maybe we would help get some laws brought in about who can and CANNOT breed, but alas seeing as they are all for crossbreeding, it will never happen.. sigh..

terribly sad.. Gumtree is one place to look if you want to see peoples true stupidity.. someone wants either a german shep or an alaskan mal to mate over the other breed... WHAT! If the RSPCA wasnt so against purebred dogs (twats) maybe we would help get some laws brought in about who can and CANNOT breed, but alas seeing as they are all for crossbreeding, it will never happen.. sigh..

You think they would be more against cross breeding and poor breeding considering the majority of the dogs that end up in shelter are crossbred or poorly bred. I have nothing against crossbred i have one but i rescued him from a shelter about to be put to sleep in a few days, this is why i dont like BYB because most of them end up in shelters when they are out of the puppy looking stage like my poor boy :laugh:. Just upsets me especially with the working breeds once they hit that 8mnth to a year you see them in a shelter :rofl: truly saddens me.

You think they would be more against cross breeding and poor breeding considering the majority of the dogs that end up in shelter are crossbred or poorly bred. I have nothing against crossbred i have one but i rescued him from a shelter about to be put to sleep in a few days, this is why i dont like BYB because most of them end up in shelters when they are out of the puppy looking stage like my poor boy :laugh:. Just upsets me especially with the working breeds once they hit that 8mnth to a year you see them in a shelter :rofl: truly saddens me.

I find these comments really interesting and so poorly informed. I don't usually enter pros/cons of RSPCA but the one thing I can say is that they are very against BYBs as they understand that is where most of their animals come from. And certainly there are a lot of people who work there that are not only pro registered breeders but also are registered breeders themselves. They are very much for pet animals being desexed, and unless you are a registered breeder you should not be putting more animals into the wider community. Directly from their website...

"The RSPCA recommends purchasing an animal from a shelter or reputable breder. All animals available from RSPCA Adoption Centres are happy, healthy, microchipped and desexed. If RSPCA Adoption Centres don't have the pet you are looking for, please ensure you research a suitable breed and contact a registered breeder to discuss. "

Which doesn't really sound like they are anti-pure bred dogs. It sounds like they are pro shelter dogs and if a shelter doesn't have what you are looking for then speak to registered breeders to try to find what you are looking for.

Guest Panzer Attack!

A few weeks before Bambi died (pom x rescue from hoarding/PF situation) I took her into a pet store to buy something or other. The owner of the store immediately honed in an asked if I was interested in having a litter. I said no, she was obviously sick and the woman looked at me as if I was stupid and said the puppies wouldn't be born sick. I kinda lost it a bit at her after that :D. She was desexed and had health issues the whole time I had her, and I would never wish that kind of heartache on anyone.

In the 3 weeks I've had my pap I've been asked about breeding him 3 times. THREE!! He's 12 weeks old!!! And all because the the puppies would be cute. ALL puppies are cute! Lol. I've also had someone try to follow me home from work after offering to buy him :) If he wasn't going to be my first show dog I would have already given him the snip.

I don't get why people consider pups such an easy money maker. They really aren't...

E x

Some people are unbelievable.

I actually had a mother and son follow me and Buster into the vet a couple of months ago to ask if he was entire. I said he wasn't. And they said it was a pity, they had a blue bitch at home they wanted to breed.

I said "no, he has DA and HD, he's a crossbred camp dog from the NT that was lucky to fall on his feet and land with us. He's a great dog but he's neither a cattle dog or a stud dog and the world doesn't need more of him"

Seriously, I wouldn't even call him blue. His colour could eaily be heavy ticking like on a BC. And I think he's gorgeous but he is just another cattle dog cross with a messed up tail and the world doesn't need more of him.