Tip Of Penis Stuck Out

hiya,

after some advice :laugh:

i came home tonight to find the tip of my dogs penis stuck out. Ive had this happend several times before with my previous dog and it was always due to hair getting stuck and the sheath being unable to retract.

But this seems a bit different. i have tried to assist getting the sheath over the tip but it isnt working. its as if the sheath is swollen? or its trying to go over the tip but its getting stuck (although i cant find any reason for it not going over the tip) its not folded back on itself at all. i can gently pull it back and it does that fine but just wont go over the top of his penis. ive put lubricant on it but no success.

Hes not bothered by it at all. not licking it or anything. for info hes a 14 month old desexed GSP.

I guess im a little worried as i cant get it to go back in. when should i begin to be concerned? Will it just sort itself out?

Trust it to happen on public holidays too.....i swear my dogs and horses know when to have issues lol

I had this happen to my boy and the vet said it can be extremely dangerous if the dog is not able to retract. the longer it stays stuck the more blood gets into that constricted area and it can cause damage to the end of the penis.

I was told to try ice cold water in a glass and when that didn't work I took him to the vet and they mixed a heavy sugar water mix which was used to "dip" his appendage in. When that didn't work the only way to get the penis to retract was to give him some ace to reduce the blood pressue so it had to retract.

eta a work collegue's male dog had to have surgery to correct this as the end of the sheath was too narrow and he continually had this issue.

Edited by Ams

I don't remember but I'm thinking cold water on that appendage should make it shrink reasonably quickly. If it doesn't then it may be stuck.

yes i had a dog whose penis was swollen and stuck out, the vet put a stitch in it to get it back in, this was over easter a few years back too lol, and eventually thsi dog had to have the penis amputated so dont take it as a non serious thing.

thanks guys. i just rang the 24 hr emergency vet. they said to rub sugar water onto it and see what happens. if its not down in about an hr ill ring them back.

Its only about 1 cm poking out the end and i can pull the sheath out from around the tip so i dont think its cutting off circulation...it just wont go back in. bit of a mystery.

Ive gotta be up for work at 4 am....damn dogs lol.

My old Papillon's penis remains a little unsheathed and has for well over a year without any ill effects, I guess with old age comes a few not so pleasant side effects. :D Only hassle with it is when I take photos of him it is always so obvious. :o I keep an eye on it to avoid any complications, ie infection or drying out and cracking but so far doesn't seem to be a problem for him.